TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pressure Dropping Prior To Engine Start

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 09:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.0L TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 5-speed Manual
Axle/Gears: 3.45 w/Limited Slip
Fuel Pressure Dropping Prior To Engine Start

Hey, guys!

Haven't been really active for a while, but I'm finally devoting some quality time to the 'Bird in an effort to get it running properly again. I'm in the process of replacing all the components that have been removed in order to replace the fuel injectors (at least two of which were bad), and performed a fuel pressure test to the rails. Pump runs for the prescribed period (2-3 seconds) when power is applied (engine off), good fuel pressure reading while it is running (~42 psi), and everything looks tight on the rails (no leaks around injectors or places where O-rings were replaced). But once the pump quits, the fuel pressure at the rails drops rapidly below 20 psi, with or without the return line clamped.

My neighbor, who is helping me with this job, checked a number of things that could cause this, and all signs seem to point in one direction: the check valve on the fuel pump. But I thought I'd post a query here in case we may be overlooking something simple. Thoughts?
Old 05-07-2014, 04:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45
Re: Fuel Pressure Dropping Prior To Engine Start

Your neighbor is right. The only other possibility is that the fuel injectors are leaking, which is unlikely since they are new.

Wish I had neighbors that could give sound advice.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1969 C-10 Truck
Engine: 355 Small Block, HSR, HP EFI ECM
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: 373

I have just been through this with my aftermarket set up. See if you can find a spot on the return line you can clamp. and try the test again. That will help rule out the Fuel Pressure Regulator.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Originally Posted by eseibel67
Your neighbor is right. The only other possibility is that the fuel injectors are leaking, which is unlikely since they are new...
Yeah, no leaks at the injectors or where they're installed. Everything around the fuel rail is dry.

... Wish I had neighbors that could give sound advice.
He's pretty good and quite knowledgeable about this stuff. I'm fortunate to have his help. But he wanted me to post the masses as a 'sanity check' on his findings.

Originally Posted by riche
I have just been through this with my aftermarket set up. See if you can find a spot on the return line you can clamp. and try the test again. That will help rule out the Fuel Pressure Regulator.
Neglected to mention in my initial post that I'd also replaced the EGR and fuel regulator diaphragm. My neighbor clamped off both the return line (which I thought was a check of the fuel pump check valve) and the supply line (which checks the fuel regulator diaphragm, I thought). Whichever way it goes, he performed both tests and the pressure regulator diaphragm checked good.

As an aside, the whole thing is back together again. The car starts with a slight bit of hesitation -- perhaps because the check valve ostensibly isn't holding -- but runs smoothly and pulls strong now!
Old 05-07-2014, 04:09 PM
Supreme Member

What I meant by fuel injector leaking is that the injector could be leaking fuel out the nozzle and into the intake. I've had this happen with a brand new one. Of course a leak at the rail would be quite easy to detect.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:30 PM

What I meant by fuel injector leaking is that the injector could be leaking fuel out the nozzle and into the intake. I've had this happen with a brand new one. Of course a leak at the rail would be quite easy to detect.
OK. Well, like you said, a leaky new injector is not as likely as a leaky old fuel pump check valve, but I can't eliminate a leaky injector beyond the shadow of a doubt at the moment.

What would be an easy way of checking for a leaky injector without tearing everything apart again? Ohm checking the injectors?
Old 05-07-2014, 05:05 PM
Supreme Member

Prime the pump a few times without starting the engine. Take the spark plugs out one by one. If you have a leaking injector, the fuel smell will hit you.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:52 AM

Prime the pump a few times without starting the engine. Take the spark plugs out one by one. If you have a leaking injector, the fuel smell will hit you.
Makes sense! Thanks!