TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Faulty Fuel Pump or Injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 02:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird Formula
Engine: 305
Transmission: Auto
Faulty Fuel Pump or Injectors?

Lately the car seems to be having issues with starting properly.
The engine cranks over but it just won't fire and it's very intermittent. Sometimes it starts on the button but others it just won't do it at all!

I've had a couple of mechanics take a look and they're unsure as to what it could be, one said it could be a faulty fuel pump or injectors, the other said it maybe the security chip in the key?

Is this a common issue or relatively unknown?

Any help is really appreciated, I need to find the route of the problem so if I need parts I can source some whilst I'm on vacation in Texas next month.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:21 AM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73
Re: Faulty Fuel Pump or Injectors?

Assuming you've checked all the basics? Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, ignition control module? Those modules are notorious for crapping out. I always keep a few cheap crappy ones around for testing, although if it IS the culprit, it's worth the money to get a good one. Certainly sounds ignition/fuel related, although ya never know with these things. You can pick up a cheap fuel pressure gauge at the autoparts store. Attach it to the schraeder valve on the passenger side fuel rail. At idle you should see around mid 30's. Most have about 18" of hose so you can tape it to the windshield and watch while driving. During various vacuum/throttle conditions you should see it go from mid 30's to low 40s. My feelings are NOT fuel pressure though. You can also order a cheap (probably under 10 bucks) noid light set off eBay. It comes with test lights for various makes, and you simply attach the test light to the injector harness and it'll show if the injectors are getting a signal. If you have a mulimeter tool, you can test the injector impedance. You'd have to search to find a range to look for as I don't know if off the top of my head. All three tools are cheap, and you'll use over and over again.

....fwiw, I had a similar problem with my 20 year old injectors. Everything tested fine but being old, I replaced them anyway. No more problems. Not saying to throw money at problems without checking, but these old injectors will eventually go bad.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:50 PM
Pro
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 and 1995 Silverado
Engine: 5.7 TPI and 5.7 TBI to TPI convert
Transmission: 700R4 and 4l60E
Axle/Gears: G80 3.23 and open 3.42
Re: Faulty Fuel Pump or Injectors?

Also a fuel injector balance test will test that your injectors are opening/closing correctly