TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cranking over but wont start......

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 11:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.45
cranking over but wont start......

My friggin car wont start. It cranks over just fine but its like its not getting spark. Fuel pump is cycling and I can smell the fuel out of the pipes. This has happened before and after i let the car cool all the way down it would start up. Then id change the cap and rotor and it would be fine for a few months. The first time i did it I made the mistake of using an aluminum tip cap and rotor, now I have a brass tipped one on there. Its been about 4 months since the cap and rotor went on.
I let the car sit for hours today and it still wont start. Its cranking and everything. Im thinking ignition module but I want to make sure im not missing something here. I need to have the car running. It also has an MSD 6A box on it plus a blaster coil. All the connections are tight. I've had it into the shop before about this and the guy I took it to couldnt do anything with it cause "it has an MSD on it and I dont know how to work on those". SO what do u guys think? Is it just the ignition module or maybe something else. I just want the problem to get cleared up once and for all. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-14-2002, 09:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: L98 (350 TPI)
Transmission: MD8 (700 R4) + 3.42 LS1 Rear
since you said that the car was having problems starting when hot and ok when it cool down. i might suspect a bad ign module. well the sypmtoms of a bad module are that the car runs fine when it's cool. When it warms up it will hesistate to start or not start at all. Looks like you might have the latter of the two. i believe that your module was dying before and is now dead. take the module off and get it tested at a local auto parts store. they test them for free. the best of luck.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:28 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.45
just replaced the ignition control module and it wont start.

unhooked the MSD6A box and it still wont start.

what the heck is going on here?????????

it fired up this moring and I drove it to the parts store to get the module. it fired up there too and I drove it back home. when i get back to the apartment i go to back into a parking spot. the car's idle drops down towards like 700rpm like normal but then the car just dies. I fire it up and try again and it dies again when the car idles down. Crank it over again and now it take a bit longer for the car to catch and fire. put it in drive and the same thing happens, it dies when the idle drops. did the same thing in neutral too. I got it into my car port and replaced the ign. module and it still wont start. ARG. is it possible the coil is bad or something????
Old 01-14-2002, 02:17 PM

It is possible that a lot of things are causing this symptom. But start with the basics. It is either lacking fuel (in a correct quantity),or spark. Since it drives normally when running you can rule out compression or timing problems. Check for spark from the coil secondary. If you dont have that, trace back the ignition primary circuit to be sure you have a signal to the coil. Also you may have fuel but be sure you don't somehow have too much or too little (such as with a failing O2 or temp sensor) checking the plug tips can help with that answer. Make sure its not something wierd like an EGR valve sticking open. Update us with the facts you find, if they're inconclusive to you.