TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPI Installation Secrets

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 03:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 373 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: L98 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: BW 9 Bolt / 2.77 Posi
TPI Installation Secrets

Hey All,

I just finished getting my plenum and runners torqued down for the second time after I found out my injectors were bad, and it was so easy this time I had to share my tips for turning a job I originally had some significant difficulty with. Feel free to add your secrets as well.

1. Clean every single bolt, and chase every thread with a thread chaser kit. I used the
Lang Tools 971 Lang Tools 971
kit and it worked great. You're also going to want to put anti-seize on every bolt. I recommend the
Loctite 504469 Loctite 504469
stick because it's very easy to apply cleanly.

2. I had some "custom" bolts installed in my plenum, and decided to get a kit to replace them all. I went with the Rogue Bolt TPI Plenum Kit because it retains the tight access you can get with bit driver style sockets, but on the plus side it's not Torx. It's much easier to locate a hex head into the holes, and the ridged edges of the bolts make it easy to hang onto the bolts and get them started with your fingers. Be very careful threading into the soft aluminum, I recommend turning counter clockwise with light pressure until you feel the starter threads cam into the correct orientation. Everything absolutely needs to be threading in by hand with very little to no resistance. Never force it.

3. Long ball end hex bit sockets. I was able to buy just a metric kit from Home Depot since I switched to the Rogue Bolt setup, these make a huge difference in being able to access the tight locations.

4. I had the hardest time getting the plenum to install on my first try. No matter what I did, some of the bolts just weren't aligning and I ended up taking it on and off at least four times. This time, I was able to do it with NO ISSUES by simply leaving the lower passenger side runner bolts slightly loose to give some room for adjustment as everything gets tightened up together. I left the driver's side runner tight because reaching that rear inside bolt is a real pain, and honestly I didn't need that much slop in the assembly to get everything to align easily.

5. Just like any other intake install, slowly torque and retorque the bolts down multiple times to eventually arrive at full tightness. I probably hit every bolt seven times in sequence getting them all down nice and even. Take a lot of time here to do it right.

Last edited by Komet; 06-24-2021 at 05:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bmassa75 (08-05-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 04:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 398 Likes on 312 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7 L98
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner 9 bolt 3.27
Re: TPI Installation Secrets

This should be a sticky, everything you said on this post is spot on and good tips.

Also that Rogue bolt kit is such a nice upgrade, so much easier to access and torque especially with aftermarket runners.

Only thing I would add for the guys going all the way to the intake is use the right stuff on the China walls. Also a thin bead of something like gaskasinch or similar on the water ports for insurance and keep everything in place.

Last edited by Reddragon88gta; 06-24-2021 at 04:23 PM.