Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

How do you adjust 9 bolt axle end play?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you adjust 9 bolt axle end play?

I got a clunking sound from the left rear wheel and after jacking the wheel found there was a lot of play in it. I have just fitted new wheel bearings on both sides and a lot of the play has gone and handling is much better, but when I hit a fairly bad bump in the road there is still a clunk from the rear left.
I jacked the car again and there is I think too much play still. The bearings are tapered roller ones and I cant figure what is pushing the inner part of the bearing into the outer shell to take up any play. You know, like how you adjust a front wheel bearing ie tighten center bolt till play has gone. There is no center bolt to tighten.
Now I didnt change the oil seals as I couldnt get them here in England and its got me thinking. When you tighten the 4 bolts at the end of the axle tube that holds the bearing in it presses on the oil seal which inturn presses on a spacer ring that presses on the rollers. Perhaps my old oil seals are a bit worn and the bearing is not being held tight enough. I plan on making a ring to fit over the oil seal so when I tighten the 4 bolts it squashes the bearing tighter.
What do you think? Any other ideas?

Thanks guys and all the best for the new year!

Simon

88 5.7 IROC