Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Vibration + idle RPM below 500 when in Drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Camaro RS '91
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Auto w/ TransGo shift kit
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Vibration + idle RPM below 500 when in Drive

There is a vibration that is well felt when stopped (at a light, driveway, etc) and in D. When the car is in Park or Neutral the vibration disappears. I also noticed that my indicated RPM is below 500 when in Drive, I'd say the needle is somewhere around 400 RPM (smooth though, minus the vibration). My idle when in P or N is around 700 RPM.
When I shift from P to D there is a big shake and it feels like the car just wants to launch forward.
I always have to apply a lot of pressure on the brake pedal to keep the car still or even to slow it down. For the longest time I thought it was my brakes that were bad but I'm starting to believe that my transmission is still sending a lot of power to the wheels when the engine is supposed to idle.

Is this an indication there is a problem with my transmission, is it easily fixable? Any ideas what might cause this?

I started noticing the vibration after I had the car at the dealer for a cat and fuel pump change; the shake when changing from P to D has always been there.

Thanks in advance.

D.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.0L TPI
Transmission: AT
I have this same exact problem too. Going from P to D or R it sometimes pops hard, and slowing down takes a lot of brake force- doesnt feel like it wants to stop at all. Shifts fine though, but overdrive comes in alittle early at 40MPH.