Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

T5 descision time

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 RS
Engine: 305 TBI (painfully stock)
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08
T5 descision time

You guys are probably getting tired of hearing about my new car, a well used one owner 89 RS, with bad paint a 160/k L03 motor and a rebuilt T5. The story is that all was going well until the owner replaced the fluid with 75/90 weight. The resulting rebuild leaks badly. The descision is this... I have a howl, sounds like a gear drive cam, only when the clutch pedal is released and the tranny is turning. I figure it leaked bad enough at some time that I have one or more bearings going south. I also have found that the output shaft seal is very very wet and clean, leading me to beleive it is leaking. it also apears that the tailshaft housing to main case junction is leaking too.

Now, do I go ahead and pull the tranny and fix it all, waiting for my parts to arrive and waiting for the money to accumulagte and not driving my new toy in the begining of my very short summer season, or do I just add some fluid, replace the tailshaft seal, and run it till I have the parts in my hand and take my chances?

what would you guys do ?

No I will NOT put an auto in it and NO I dont have the cash for a t56.. maybe someday, but not yet.

thanks
Dan
Old 05-13-2006, 02:14 AM

Car: 88 Firebird
Engine: 5.0 ltr
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 3.23's I think
if you have bearings going south you could do further damage driving it even if full of fluid, no way to know for sure, I'd fix it right first though, driving your toy worried the whole time about damage and possible trans issues all the while isn't all that fun to start with....
Old 05-13-2006, 02:54 AM

*sigh* I know and thats the way I am leaning. I would like to do it right, I just hate to take it apart. My projects have a way of escalating. I can see me pulling the tranny and then deciding I might as well paint it while its down. I can see it being Xmas before it even gets on the road
Old 05-13-2006, 07:39 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,294 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
I'd suggest just getting another transmission.

The "howling" is most likely the countergear bearings. Problem is, the inner race of those bearings, is the gear itself.

A rebuild "kit" is around $200, and the gear is well over $100 again; and it may need other gears or hard parts. Plus, if some hack has been hacking on it, there's no telling what else they screwed upm that you'd have to set right before it would be reliable again.

Try Car-Part.com for another. Just make sure you get a V8 one.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:25 PM

HMMMM, something to consider for sure, but being that I am in Alaska I can for see shipping and purchase being pretty near a wash with the prices you have listed, not to mention that unless I go with a rebuilt unit there are no guarantee's that I wont just get another unit with problems. I may be weird this way but I enjoy doing things for myself and I dont actually trust other people to work on them. I have been in the bussiness long enough to know all of the things that can go wrong. I hate the thought of someone maybe covering something up or fixing something good enough... and then discovering later that I have stripped threads or cracked parts. reminds me of the time I had my tires installed at a local chain, only to find halfway to Canada that they had put them on with an impact wrench and I was unable to remove a flat with hand tools.(I put a full twist in my cross wrench) That was truly a frusterating experience.

Thank you for pointing out a possible or likely problem with the tranny I have, it sounds as though I need to locate a good source of parts.