Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

T-5 went out - what could be wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '85 Z28
Engine: Need one. =(
Transmission: T-5
T-5 went out - what could be wrong?

Hey all.

Car decided to go out on me, one week before my other car should be done. Very stressful, since I still needed it as a parts runner. I've been waiting for the engine to go out, but now it's the transmission. Didn't show any sign of problems before... totally unexpected. With my luck lately...

When I was stopped, clutch disengaged, in second gear, I tried shifting to neutral but the stick was stuck. Got it in neutral by pushing very hard, turned engine off, engaged clutch. It rolled. Got it out of traffic...

Any idea what this could be?

Now I just need to find someone who can help me tow it back home...

Last edited by True; 05-06-2007 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:04 PM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: T-5 went out - what could be wrong?

have you checked the clutch or hydrolic system? that would be first place i looked based on what you said. back in the old days you could start it in gear and drive home without the clutch.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:39 PM

Hey ede.

The hydraulic parts seem fine... I did a quick check for leaks and it didn't seem as if there were any, and there was still fluid in the reservoir. If something else exploded, I didn't see it. Don't know about the clutch itself, although would the clutch make the stick very hard to shift? I mean, it won't go back into a gear for me to drive it, I couldn't even get the stick to 1st or 2nd again. It's also about 5mi from home, but on a very busy street...
Old 05-07-2007, 12:49 AM

Car: 1985 IROC-Z Silver
Engine: Vortec 5.7L
Transmission: WC-T5
Axle/Gears: 3.23 disc brake 10 bolt

my old mustang did this. I forced the stick into neutral and back into gear and back into N and back into another gear and so on. It was tight, but I kept working it around. Then I ran the crap out of it...Slammed the sh*t out of every gear and it all loosened up and was normal again.
Actually did this on BOTH of my previous Mustangs.
I had nothing to lose by beating the cars on a "broken" tranny because they were "broke". But they werent "broke", just bent or bound up the shift forks....Now... Straighten 'em!
Old 05-07-2007, 02:09 AM

I suppose I can try this, as soon as I can get someone to help me tow it back home. It's about 5-6mi away through very busy traffic; I wouldn't want to walk or bus it all the way out there just to have to come right back.

I have a feeling something broke or bent relating to 2nd gear, since a few days ago it popped out of second shortly after engaging the clutch. If I do get it back within the week, and it does loosen up, I'll just drive it from 1st-3rd
Old 05-07-2007, 01:22 PM

Car: 1985 IROC-Z Silver
Engine: Vortec 5.7L
Transmission: WC-T5
Axle/Gears: 3.23 disc brake 10 bolt

Have you even tried driving it or putting it in every gear? Does your shifter move into every gear?
Old 05-07-2007, 05:59 PM

Car: 1991 Firebird Formula
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Originally Posted by True
I suppose I can try this, as soon as I can get someone to help me tow it back home. It's about 5-6mi away through very busy traffic; I wouldn't want to walk or bus it all the way out there just to have to come right back.

I have a feeling something broke or bent relating to 2nd gear, since a few days ago it popped out of second shortly after engaging the clutch. If I do get it back within the week, and it does loosen up, I'll just drive it from 1st-3rd
I agree with the slamming gears idea, my tranny does this alot, so I shift and hold as I drive. Every once in a while, I'll have a fight with the shifter trying to get it into 1st and second. At a light I'll play around with it going back and forth into both until it loosens up. Until I have the darn thing rebuilt.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:55 PM

Alright, towed it home, with my friend in a truck and me behind. After playing with it:

1st and 2nd don't play nice at all. It's extremely hard to shift into these gears, and trying to engage the clutch with these gears just grinds. It never feels as if it is going into gear.

3rd, 4th, and reverse (no reason to try 5th) will go into gear and drive, although it is hard to move these into gear. Once in gear they stay in gear, though. (Edit: After playing some more, 3rd and 4th are almost like before the thing broke - there is still some resistance, but I can cleanly shift 3rd/4th/5th/R just fine).

1st-2nd shift fork busted?

Last edited by True; 05-08-2007 at 12:26 AM.