Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Problem with 4th gear on my T5

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2000, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with 4th gear on my T5

Well, I've had this problem for a little while now, but haven't had time to get it checked out yet...

For some reason whenever I go to shift into fourth, the gears grind; sometimes they only grind for an instant, sometimes they grind a medium amount, and sometimes I can't get it in to fourth at all....

is this some sort of problem with the synchronizers, or something? I don't know a huge amount about transmissions in general, so that was just a guess...

Thanks in advance for all those that can help, I really appreciate it. This board is one of the few places you can actually ask a question and have it answered, with no problems at all.

Thanks again,
-Bill
Old 07-29-2000, 12:33 AM

Usually when that happens the linkage is out of adjustment. If that does not cure the problem, then the syncros are worn.
Old 07-29-2000, 12:43 AM

hmmm... okay, thats definitely something to check then... but like I said I don't know too much about trannys...

what would be involved in re-adjusting the linkage, I assume that can be done....? especially cause I don't want to replace the tranny. hehehe..

I also was leaning away from synchro problems, cause its only fourth gear, and it happens pretty much all the time...

Well, lets see if anybody can answer those "follow ups" hehehe

Thanks again,
-Bill
Old 07-29-2000, 10:24 AM

The shifter linkage isnt adjustable. Check the clutch operation, make sure the slave cylinder isnt leaking and check the fluid level in the trans. You may need to check the end-play on the mainshaft. Personally i would pull the trans and clutch assembly and inspect it all. If there are a lot of miles you should consider new bearings and synchros before something breaks. It is not a difficult job, but requires a press and some time.
Old 07-29-2000, 10:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
You need a pilot bushing.

All that 4th gear does is connect the clutch gear straight to the mainshaft. Whe the pilot bushing gets wallowed out the clutch gear wobbles around and makes the whole system inside the trans fail to line up.

I'll bet you also have a vibration (esp. in 4th) such that you can be driving down the street with very little load on the drivetrain, and push in and let out on the clutch, and change the amount it vibes. That's because the clutch disc, which rides on the splines of the clutch gear, is either more or less centered on the flywheel after doing that to it, because the pilot bushing is what keeps all of that lined up.

Put a new bushing, or better yet a bearing, in there before it's too late and you have to rebuild the whole trans.

------------------
"So many Mustangs, so little time..."