Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Stick or not to Stick

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2000, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stick or not to Stick

Hey I got a question for ya all. When I bought my car back in 98 I bought it cuz A) I was 16 and needing a car :0) B) I didn't know much about cars all I heard was you want Automatic from my dad he said Stick was too hard and blaa blaa blaa. Well 3 years late I am regretting that decision. I am soo kicking my self in the but. But any way I figure I am gonna need a new trans pretty soon. ( I can feel the grears slipping sometimes) So when this day come I want to switch over to Manual. Does anyone know how hard this would be? I can get the clutch and the shifter no problem...but is it possible, and how much you think it would be? Also whut else would I need to get....such as the clutch and the shifter...can anyone give me alist? Thanks alot
Old 11-18-2000, 07:50 PM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there was a tech aritical on it. the hardest thing is changing the brake/clutch pedals and the hydrolics.

------------------
-=ICON MOTORSPORTS=-
1st & 3rd
Old 11-18-2000, 07:58 PM

Car: 89 Iroc Z Cnvertible
Engine: 409 SR
Transmission: 6 speed
ede,
I would have to disagree agree with you there, the hardest damm part was making sure that you have everything there for the swap When you have everything you need, then its a piece of cake
Old 11-18-2000, 08:07 PM

Car: 89 Iroc Z Cnvertible
Engine: 409 SR
Transmission: 6 speed
PopaPork,
It all depends on what type of manual tranny you decided on.
Just to let you know. I spent just over a grand in installing a T5 in my 89 Iroc. Tranny cost me $450 and a lot of new little parts because I could not find them used.
When I did the T56 swap, I spent right at $1600, $600 for the tranny (which was a good deal compared to the average $1200 pricetag used.) and $180 for a stock clutch (thanks to a friend of mine in the auto parts retailer industry)...new hydraulic clutch cylinders, the flywheel and a Spohn Torque arm for the swap. Its amazing how the little things add up.

Basically what it comes down to is what kind of tranny you are going to put in and whether or not you get ALL parts from the donor car or go buy them new from the dealer or auto parts store.

HTH