Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Are the soft shifts caused by my stall speed converter hurting my performance????

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2001, 12:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are the soft shifts caused by my stall speed converter hurting my performance????

All mods are in the sig. I got the TCI Breakaway torque converter (2200 RPM stall speed). I know that this is causing my transmission to shift softer, and that a shift kit should fix it, but I was wondering if these softer shifts are actually hurting my performance. The trans used to shift real firm before the new torque converter. ANY help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

------------------
1984 Camaro Sport Coupe - 73K Miles, Rebuilt 355 TPI L98, Crane 2032 CompuCam - 214/220 @ .050", Crane adjustable fuel pressure regulator, MSD Blaster coil, custom burned PROM, stock TPI intake, Accel 24# injectors, gutted air box with K&N filters
F41 Suspension Package, 700R4 Tranny, TCI Breakaway torque converter, 3.27 Disc Brake Posi Rear
Hooker Shorty Headers, Catco High-Flow 3" Cat, Flowmaster 3" American Thunder Cat-Back
New Paint
Best 1/4 Mile Run (with old LG4 motor):
16.760 @ 80.74 MPH

Coming Soon:
Aluminum Drive Shaft
Old 06-26-2001, 04:21 AM
Supreme Member

First, make sure that the TV Cable is set correctly. Whenever a tranny is worked on this should be checked/reset: To adjust the TV Cable skip the book method and do this: Press the D button on the adjuster and loosen the cable setting. Now, have someone floor the gas pedal while you check to see if the throttle plate is open all the way. Usually they are off a little and will wiggle. Do whatever you have to do to get it open solid. Now, with the pedal floored, press the D button and pull the cable back as hard as you can and release the button. You now have the engine, tranny and gas pedal all in sync at WOT. Mark the cable so if for some reason it gets moved you can know where to put it again. The problem with the 'self adjust method' is that it bends things and puts them permanently out of whack. It is also the full TV setting, which is theoretically what the GM method does.

The converter will seem to soften the shifts. Actually the shift doesn't change but the power being sent to the tranny does. You see the converter 'slips' more, giving you higher stall speed but hopefully putting you into your power band. If your engine is making it's power down low then you could be giving up performance with a higher stall converter since you would be wasting your power band. If the TV Cable isn't set properly you could actually be slipping the tranny and losing time too.
Old 06-26-2001, 07:17 PM

I am not as technical as the previous reply but it seems that with a stick shift you don't want to shift soft but tight as hell. I think this would apply to an auto also. This is if you are looking for a better E.T.