Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

any good aftermarket shifter cables

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 iroc camaro
Engine: jasper 350, l98
Transmission: 700R4, corvette servo, shift kit.
Axle/Gears: stock
any good aftermarket shifter cables

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has found a good shifter cables yet? I broke mine first thing this morning and came home and started doing some research. I found that GM discontinued shifter cables and all the aftermarket ones are junk. The only part that broke on mine was one of the plastic clips. is this whats wrong with all the aftermarket ones? I just finished setting mine up with some zip ties so I could get it back into park but I'd like to find a more permanent fix. Any recommendations?
Old 02-20-2012, 06:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: '86 TA
Engine: '74 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.77
Re: any good aftermarket shifter cables

Apparently there aren't any. I researched this a few months back to replace mine, the consensus here and elsewhere was that a junkyard is the best bet.

That option was not open to me over here, so the Dorman 04620 seemed to be the best of a bad bunch. Ordered one from Summit, and it arrived pre-broken in the box , in a similar fashion to the one in this thread:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/afte...er-cables.html

Having no practical recourse over here for returning a $30 part, I managed to fix it with an aluminium sleeve and a hose clamp. After that it installed and worked great for 2 months now, time will tell how long it lasts...
Old 02-20-2012, 05:52 PM

Car: 88 iroc camaro
Engine: jasper 350, l98
Transmission: 700R4, corvette servo, shift kit.
Axle/Gears: stock

Thanks, with that said it looks like it's time to make my own fix! My double zip-tie trick seems to work well for now. The hose clamp idea was the first thing that crossed my mind too. now I'm thinking of making a piece to slide over the front rubber part on the cable and the back side of the metal bracket to pinch the two parts together. I want to try to eliminate the need for the flimsy plastic clips all together.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:38 PM

Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: LB9
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Stock

Local pick and pull for $5 off a 1990 firebird. Works great if there is a local salvage yard give it a shot. All aftermarket is junk when it comes to these cables.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: '86 TA
Engine: '74 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.77

I decided to finally replace my factory one which was broken at the transmission bracket when I bough the car nearly 10 yrs ago. Had it tied up with baling wire, tie wraps, and a small wooden wedge.

I gather the aftermarket ones usually break up the top at the shifter mount, whereas my factory one was much thicker at that point and intact.

Happened to take some pix of the fix, which is working fine for now at least.
Attached Thumbnails any good aftermarket shifter cables-shift-cable-repair-1.jpg   any good aftermarket shifter cables-shift-cable-repair-2.jpg   any good aftermarket shifter cables-shift-cable-repair-3.jpg