Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Governor problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Governor problems?

So I'm having abit of a problem with my 700r4. I was at the track over the weekend. On my first run the governor cap blew off and I dumped trans fluid. Not a significant amount but enough through the last two turns to leave a nice trail. I turned the car off immediately and pulled off the track. Once it cooled down I pushed it back to my area to jack it up and see what happened. That's when I saw the cap was missing. The governor was still in there. I walked the track and found the cap which was still in tact. After some rtv and a nice patch job the cap stayed on and I was back on the track later in the day. (After I refilled the fluid and took it for a test drive to make sure it would happen again)

Everything was fine the rest if the day until I went to drive home I noticed I didn't have my fourth gear. (I didn't go above third on the track) after playing with it a little It seemed like the car was going to 4th but the rpms spike to catch in gear where 3rd left off and when I was off the gas the rpms would drop instead of 'engine braking'. So I left it in third the way home.

Any ideas what would cause this? I feel like if the governor lost springs or something the car wouldn't shift right through any of the gears? I'm curious is I should just replace the governor to be safe.

Also I can't tell where the rpms are at in 4th because my tach stopped working about a week before this.

Any help is greatly appreciated. And desperately needed haha