Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Adjustable slave cylinder or shim flywheel.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adjustable slave cylinder or shim flywheel.

So I've got a 92 rs with a 350 tbi t5 tranny. The tranny is rebuilt and I've been told has a new slave/master cylinder, new clutch and rebuilt tranny within the last year. The car will not shift into any gears. When you start the car in first gear with the clutch Peddle pushed down the car lurches forward. So I assume the clutch just isn't going in all the way or in to much, whichever. Through what I've found this can all be fixed with an aftermarket clutch master cylinder/slave that's adjustable. Hawks 3rd gen sells one for 330$ or something. I've also read that if you shim the flywheel a Lil than the problem also goes away. The shimmed flywheel costs about 20$ but is harder to do. Basically my question is what should I do? Would I see large benefits from the bigger/ adjustable slave and master? Or should I just cheap out and shim the flywheel. Also if there's any cheaper adjustable slave cylinders let me know.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 Base Coupe
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt w/ disk brakes - 3.70
Re: Adjustable slave cylinder or shim flywheel.

Originally Posted by Cam455
So I've got a 92 rs with a 350 tbi t5 tranny. The tranny is rebuilt and I've been told has a new slave/master cylinder, new clutch and rebuilt tranny within the last year. The car will not shift into any gears. When you start the car in first gear with the clutch Peddle pushed down the car lurches forward. So I assume the clutch just isn't going in all the way or in to much, whichever. Through what I've found this can all be fixed with an aftermarket clutch master cylinder/slave that's adjustable. Hawks 3rd gen sells one for 330$ or something. I've also read that if you shim the flywheel a Lil than the problem also goes away. The shimmed flywheel costs about 20$ but is harder to do. Basically my question is what should I do? Would I see large benefits from the bigger/ adjustable slave and master? Or should I just cheap out and shim the flywheel. Also if there's any cheaper adjustable slave cylinders let me know.
Since you said it has had recent tranny work I get the felling that the throwout bearing may be installed improperly, common mistake.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you ill take a look. Do I have to remove the tranny or can I look into where the fork goes with a flashlight?
Old 06-18-2013, 12:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 Base Coupe
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt w/ disk brakes - 3.70

im not sure if you can see it with the tranny on or not, but, chances are you are going to need to pull the tranny either way anyway. because you do need to pull it to fix it, and you would need to pull it to fix most any other problem.