Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Delayed shifting in 700R4

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Firebird S/E
Engine: 5.0L 305 V8
Delayed shifting in 700R4

Ever since I've owned this car the shifts have seemed delayed. I know that the gear ratio in the rear differential is stock and the transmission was rebuilt by a mechanic with a good reputation. Even after the complete rebuild the shifting issue was completely unaffected. If the mechanic adjusted the throttle cable to the proper position the car would be practically unusable but if adjusted all the way out the issue would improve but it is still very noticeable. He also said he had to take the flex of the throttle on the Holley carb into account when adjusting the cable because the carb only has one screw instead of two holding the throttle and it pulls outward a little when being pulled back. Could there be some issue with the cable or could this be an electronic issue, maybe a bad sensor?
If I'm driving in slow traffic the car will slowly move along while roaring because I can't get the car going fast enough to trigger the first shift. Four years and I still can't seem to get rid of this problem, any suggestions?
Old 05-08-2014, 11:58 PM

Re: Delayed shifting in 700R4

My 87 TA will pull off in first gear then have a delay when shifting up. As I press down on gas petal the motor revs but the tires don't respond. At first I thought it was something to do with the fuel and air mix, but the engine sounds good the car doesnt repond to the gas pedal like it should. Beginning to think it has something to do with not being in proper gear. I also cannot put the car in park easily. It will shift to reverse on its on when I am in P. I must keep emergency brake on at all times when parked! I think these may be related issues. HELP
Old 05-09-2014, 03:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4

Originally Posted by fireburn84
Ever since I've owned this car the shifts have seemed delayed. I know that the gear ratio in the rear differential is stock and the transmission was rebuilt by a mechanic with a good reputation. Even after the complete rebuild the shifting issue was completely unaffected. If the mechanic adjusted the throttle cable to the proper position the car would be practically unusable but if adjusted all the way out the issue would improve but it is still very noticeable. He also said he had to take the flex of the throttle on the Holley carb into account when adjusting the cable because the carb only has one screw instead of two holding the throttle and it pulls outward a little when being pulled back. Could there be some issue with the cable or could this be an electronic issue, maybe a bad sensor?
If I'm driving in slow traffic the car will slowly move along while roaring because I can't get the car going fast enough to trigger the first shift. Four years and I still can't seem to get rid of this problem, any suggestions?
Here's a post that might relate to your problem.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/carb...-brackets.html
Old 05-09-2014, 03:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4

Originally Posted by J.Cook1500
My 87 TA will pull off in first gear then have a delay when shifting up. As I press down on gas petal the motor revs but the tires don't respond. At first I thought it was something to do with the fuel and air mix, but the engine sounds good the car doesnt repond to the gas pedal like it should. Beginning to think it has something to do with not being in proper gear. I also cannot put the car in park easily. It will shift to reverse on its on when I am in P. I must keep emergency brake on at all times when parked! I think these may be related issues. HELP
First, make sure your manual shift cable is adjusted properly. It sounds like it's not fully in the gear you think it's in.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '88 Iroc
Engine: Single turbo Vortec 5.7, Megasquirt
Transmission: Probuilt 700r4 3000 stall Vigilante
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" 3.25 w/True Trac

If the governor in the trans and/or valvebody is not the original it can change your shift points. If you are running a Holley carb, how is the TV cable mounted to the carb linkage? A photo would be very helpful. It may not have the correct amount of throw.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 GTA, 74 T/A
Engine: 383 stroker (Procharged)
Transmission: TH400 w/brake (new 2013)
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt S60 - 3.73 (new 2013)

Originally Posted by vortec350s10
If the governor in the trans and/or valvebody is not the original it can change your shift points. If you are running a Holley carb, how is the TV cable mounted to the carb linkage? A photo would be very helpful. It may not have the correct amount of throw.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:45 AM

Car: 1984 Firebird S/E
Engine: 5.0L 305 V8

When I had the transmission rebuilt two years ago I asked the mechanic to make sure that it was rebuilt to original specs. Other than using some higher quality Kevlar parts, to the best of my knowledge this is what he did. He did have some concerns about the design of the Holley throttle linkage, he said that it tended to bend outwards as it was pulled back.
Do you think I should get the Holley kickdown cable and throttle cable brackets for the 700R4 which were mentioned in a thread linked above in an earlier post?
The pictures I have are too big to be submitted but it looks as though the throttle cable bracket looks exactly the same as the one on Summit, the kickdown bracket may be just slightly different if at all.

Last edited by fireburn84; 06-13-2014 at 05:19 PM.