Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

New Gears new problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: First Gen 350
New Gears new problems

Hey again,
So i finally got my car back after being in the shop for 8 months doing a very badly done motor build for way too much money and i drive the car home and notice some new issues.
The gears were changes to 3:73 ratio and now when i let off the gas i hear this whining noise that is loud and annoying. It only occurs when i let off the gas and sounds fine when the gas is applied and even when hard accelerating. I have read others say this is normal and some say this is due to preload and backlash being incorrectly set. So what can i do to fix it, and is it safe to drive like that?
Second is my spedometer is way off now like 15 MPH higher than th actual speed. I have read that u can change out a little speed gear but do not know which one to get (3:73 gears with 19" C6 wheels on the rear 18" on front). I also wanted to know
Old 01-29-2015, 09:28 AM
Supreme Member

Re: New Gears new problems

Most likely the pinion depth is wrong. Do not drive it like this. Right now there is a chance that you can have the gears set up correctly and the problem will go away. If you drive it like this you will ruin the gears and there will be no fixing them.

Go back to the shop and ask them what thickness pinion shim was used. I asked a guy that one time and he said "What pinion shim?" That answered all questions I had about his ability to set up a set of gears.

For speedometer issues read this. https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tran...eedometer.html

Last edited by big gear head; 01-29-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:39 AM

The problem with going back to the shop is that i am currently in some rather not good legal stuff with them so that's out. I drove it home so hopefully i did not already damage it. I will most likely have to take it to another shop to have them fix it/ replace it.
Thanks for the advice!
Old 01-29-2015, 11:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 camaro rs
Engine: 496 big block
Transmission: th400
Axle/Gears: stock rearend. 3.23

sounds like to me they just threw your stuff back together. when you do a proper gear change you should not hear a lot of noise with a 3:73 gear set. I have that same set up in my 99 Z28 and you don't hear nothing. look around town for a good gear shop. (not everyone can change a gear set) there a lot of math and checking to make sure both angle's are set correctly not just one. I have seen people change gears and reuse the same shims and then go WHY DID MY REAREND GO BOOM!
just find a good guy or shop and tow your car there or take the rear-end to them
DO NOT DRIVE how many miles and how hard did you drive it. you may still need new gears depends on how OFF your pinion(depth or shim is off). I do them on the side but that don't help you your in Texas. but I have family there I will call them and see if they know anyone that's worth a flip.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:15 PM

I drove about 30 miles in it to get home. I would be lying very much if i didn't tell u i was driving the **** out of the car.
There is a new shop at the front of my neighborhood now that i may check out and see if they are worthy to fix this problem. Either way it is just one more thing the other shop installed incorrectly, 1400 dollars for the rear end build too.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LS1383 in work
Transmission: Magnum F
Axle/Gears: Zexel Torsen 3.73, 28-spline mosers

I would find a 4x4 or driveline shop personally, unless you know of a hot-rod shop that does that kind of thing where they specalize in it.