Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Leak in T5 Vehicle Speed Sensor VSS - not o-ring

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Leak in T5 Vehicle Speed Sensor VSS - not o-ring

Hi,

I had a leak coming from the VSS from my T5, replaced the o-ring and is still leaking. I think it's leaking from somewhere else, I just don't know how to fix it.

Does anybody know how to fix this leak, or where can I find a new VSS, or parts to fix this? I just have not been able to find anything in stores and/or online

I am pretty handy and could fix the VSS given I can find parts for it.

This is what the VSS looks like

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2015, 05:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,277 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Leak in T5 Vehicle Speed Sensor VSS - not o-ring

The leak may be internal to the VSS itself, in which case, only thing that will fix it, is one that doesn't leak. Which will be tough to find.

Of course it would be a good idea to actually identify the source of the leak FOR CERTAIN before attempting any further repair.

Clean up the whole area around the scene of the crime: go to the quarter car wash with your floor jack and jack stands, stop along the way for acoupla cans of engine degreaser, put the car up high enough in the wash bay to crawl under it, saturate the whole region of interest with the degreaser, wait 5 or 10 minutes, saturate it again, wait another couple, then blast it MERCILESSLY until it is STERILIZED. Then drive it for a bit, get up under it again, and see where the fluid is ACTUALLY coming from. You're quite a bit more likely to be able to fix a leak when you are working on the actual place that leaks. As well as, it's AHELLUVALOT less unpleasant to work on something, when it's not covered in 10 million miles of built-up funk.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
The leak may be internal to the VSS itself, in which case, only thing that will fix it, is one that doesn't leak. Which will be tough to find.

Of course it would be a good idea to actually identify the source of the leak FOR CERTAIN before attempting any further repair.

Clean up the whole area around the scene of the crime: go to the quarter car wash with your floor jack and jack stands, stop along the way for acoupla cans of engine degreaser, put the car up high enough in the wash bay to crawl under it, saturate the whole region of interest with the degreaser, wait 5 or 10 minutes, saturate it again, wait another couple, then blast it MERCILESSLY until it is STERILIZED. Then drive it for a bit, get up under it again, and see where the fluid is ACTUALLY coming from. You're quite a bit more likely to be able to fix a leak when you are working on the actual place that leaks. As well as, it's AHELLUVALOT less unpleasant to work on something, when it's not covered in 10 million miles of built-up funk.
Hi my friend and thanks for your answer.

Yes I already took care of cleaning with degreaser as you can see in this picture, I had to do that in order to find the transmission

And now all being clean and I have been paying attention to the leak and it's pretty obvious that it's coming from the VSS.

Can't find the VSS anywhere, I have even searched in other countries
Old 06-07-2015, 10:53 PM

I ended up fixing my VSS

First, I opened to see where the leak was coming from

I found this

Then I cleaned it well, installed new parts that I got from a new VSS that it's being sold for Automatics, greased properly and reinstalled. Sealed with RTV.

Seems to be working well
Old 06-08-2015, 06:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,277 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Ingenious solution.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 86 trans-am 1LE G92 WS.6
Engine: 305 LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 2.77 soon to have 3.45

You should show that repair on YouTube
Old 11-12-2018, 04:40 PM

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: 305 cid
Transmission: 5spd T5 BW.

okay... so you used a new VSS that says about being for a "700R4" tranny? I'm getting a code 24, and I've checked my connections so I figured the VSS is about the only other thing to check/replace as a possible solution. Talked to GM parts guy and was told for my T5 tranny on my 87 TA that the part should be a 25007308. What I've seen is the type you show as broken and it doesn't look long enough. My old one looked like the "silver bullet" shown below. Given they range upwards of $100+ I want to make sure I get the right thing.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Sent you a note already, but... I'm pretty sure 25007308 is for an automatic. All the 5spd VSS senders are discontinued, have been for a long time actually. The only sensors that will come up in the electronic catalog now are for automatics.