Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Th700 several problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Th700 several problems

Hi all. My name is bart and i live in the netherland were i drive an 71 el camino.
When i bought it an th350 was installed. I decided to swap to an (rebuild) th700.
i included the geometry corrector and tv bracket in the swap. I used the wot method to set the tv valve. This looked very good. When i disconnect the tv cable from the carb the stroke matches the gaslever from idle to wot. The total tv stroke is approx 47mm were the first 7mm is just play.
After the swap during the first testdrive i was not happy.
Tranny kept in 1st gear only, this was solved by hitting the trottle harder a few times. I think this was a sticky tv valve.

But now i still have issues.
1. Late upshifts
2. No downshifts
3. No 4th gear

During further testdrive i first put the tv cable more tight. Result was even later shifting.
Then i started to loosen the tv cable, this improved everything, without slipping in tranny. However i am afraid loosen the cable even more because at idle i have no tension at all anymore and i read about dangers of having too loose tv cable.

anyone who could advice me on this?

Only lead i can think of now:
Could it be that i swapped the cooling lines? Or air pockets in the oil circuit( i blew trought the cooler during the tranny swap with compresses air).