Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

700R4 tranny leaks

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 01:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Sport Coupe
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
700R4 tranny leaks

My 84 Camaro Sport Coupe has what looks likes 2 tranny leaks - the oil pan gasket and I think some is coming from the main seal/housing. I bought the car 23 years ago and it has 171K miles. It mostly sat for 10 years from 2006 to 2016 (stored under a good cover with Stable in the gas) because it couldn't pass emissions and it had carburetor issues. In 2016 I rebuilt the 4BRL and the car is driven about 3 times a month ever since. The tranny shifts just fine - no problem with it other than the leaks. And it only leaks when the car is sitting and not running - especially in cold weather. If the tranny needs major work do you guys recommend rebuilding it or replacing it with another rebuilt 700R4? Any idea what either option may cost? Or you may say it's not worth fixing because it's only a Sport Coupe with the 305 and therefore will never have any value. Also, personally, I like to keep cars as original as possible. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-26-2018, 07:38 PM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R
Re: 700R4 tranny leaks

The seals on the 700-R4 are pretty straight-forward to replace if you are wanting to enjoy the car without rebuilding a functional transmission. The pan gasket I used to prefer is the Delco black fiber one. I can't tell if your front pump input seal is what is leaking (verify with a dusting of baby powder) but it will require dropping the trans.

I have driven LG4s with more miles without feeling like I should be forced into doing a full rebuild or letting them fall into disrepair. If you like the car, the repairs can be satisfying when done, as you found with the carburetor. When I have needed a replacement transmission, I lucked into early 90s 700-R4 units, used, that worked perfectly for what I needed. The 88-92 Camaro V8 units are a better design, and direct replacement, as long as you keep your shifter cable/bracket, and speedo gears. HTH
Old 09-26-2018, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by jmd
The seals on the 700-R4 are pretty straight-forward to replace if you are wanting to enjoy the car without rebuilding a functional transmission. The pan gasket I used to prefer is the Delco black fiber one. I can't tell if your front pump input seal is what is leaking (verify with a dusting of baby powder) but it will require dropping the trans.

I have driven LG4s with more miles without feeling like I should be forced into doing a full rebuild or letting them fall into disrepair. If you like the car, the repairs can be satisfying when done, as you found with the carburetor. When I have needed a replacement transmission, I lucked into early 90s 700-R4 units, used, that worked perfectly for what I needed. The 88-92 Camaro V8 units are a better design, and direct replacement, as long as you keep your shifter cable/bracket, and speedo gears. HTH
Thanks! Sorry, but what does PN stand for? Also, if the front pump input seal is leaking are you saying having the trans rebuilt is too expensive and I should buy a used 700R4 instead?
Old 09-27-2018, 07:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

I'd suggest replacing the pan gasket, and the filter while you're there; and the fill tube O-ring/seal (whichever your particular fill tube uses).

I'd recommend leaving the converter hub seal in the front of the pump alone until you're ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN there are no other external leaks. Especially since you say

it only leaks when the car is sitting and not running
Which is EXACTLY NOT the pattern that a converter hub seal would produce. See my signature for a mental discipline that strips away proposed "explanations" for problems, that can't possibly be true. Which in this case, the pattern that you DO observe, points to something that's ABOVE the fluid level when the car is running, but BELOW it when it isn't... and there are EXACTLY 2 AND ONLY 2 parts that meet that criterion, which are, the pan gasket and the fill tube seal.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
I'd suggest replacing the pan gasket, and the filter while you're there; and the fill tube O-ring/seal (whichever your particular fill tube uses).

I'd recommend leaving the converter hub seal in the front of the pump alone until you're ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN there are no other external leaks. Especially since you say

Which is EXACTLY NOT the pattern that a converter hub seal would produce. See my signature for a mental discipline that strips away proposed "explanations" for problems, that can't possibly be true. Which in this case, the pattern that you DO observe, points to something that's ABOVE the fluid level when the car is running, but BELOW it when it isn't... and there are EXACTLY 2 AND ONLY 2 parts that meet that criterion, which are, the pan gasket and the fill tube seal.
Great advice! Thank you!