Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

About to pull the trigger on new 9" rear axle

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 09:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac
About to pull the trigger on new 9" rear axle

I'm starting the process of putting together a new 9" Ford rear axle. This is going to take a minute to get finished. Probably won't be ready to install before next summer but I'm taking the first step probably tomorrow or Monday and wanted to share my excitement. I'm going to be ordering the 82-92 F-body rear axles and housing kit from Quick Performance. Here's a link: https://www.quickperformance.com/view_cart.asp I'm using their fabricated housing that's 10lbs lighter and, according to their site, 30% stronger than factory Ford housing. I'm having the axle flanges lightened too, though I don't see that being a huge difference. I'm also using the Yukon aluminum diff case that's about 20lbs lighter than nodular. All together, the complete unit should come in close to the 7.5" in weight( based on what information I could find, the factory Ford 9" is 175lbs, 7.5" is 150lbs) and, according to QP should handle up to 700hp. More than I'll ever need. I'm planning on going with 3.50 gears. I'll check again to be sure but seems like I figured out I have the weezy 3.23 Auburn posi in the car now. A small gear reduction should be nice for 3rd gear acceleration and will compliment the new higher revving custom XT intake I'm working on. I'll update as the time comes to order the center section and keep this thread updated as I assemble and install the unit. It's going to be a job. But when done it will be nice. No more worrying about the rear axle. Just gear lube changes.

One question that is hanging over head is about my rear brakes. I have the LS1 kit from Fly N Bye. They're the rear brakes for a 2002 Z28 or T/A. Very nice 12" rotors with a lightweight aluminum caliper and separated internal band parking brakes. I don't remember what the brackets were like, except that they are the same forgings that I've seen on factory LS1 4th gens. I don't know what Ed Miller did to make the brackets fit the 3rd gen axle housing. I don't remember what the difference is between the 3rd gen and 4th gen housing ends. I need to get this figured out before I go to install the axle. The closest option available to the 82-92 housing ends is 93-02 F-body. Might just need to dig into the car a little and take some measurements, look the brackets over to see. The folks at QP may have some info on this.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:07 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 1LE
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: SLP dana 44 3.92
Re: About to pull the trigger on new 9" rear axle

Good choice on the QP housing and axle kit. a few years ago 2 friends of mine and I all went to do rear ends in our 4th gens and I went S60 while they both went QP 9" and they spent grand total about $1000 less than I did, and they both got great read ends with no problems, fit and finish was great, super nice piece. I went S60 or as I like to refer to it POS60 and got screwed on every single part of it by strange. If I could do it over, I would go the exact route you're going!
Old 10-04-2018, 01:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 189 Likes on 149 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am L69
Engine: Sniper EFI Powered 355
Transmission: WC T5 w/ Steel Support Plate
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt Posi

Great choice, I would call QP they are super helpful and will probably be able to answer your brake questions
Old 10-04-2018, 07:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

The brackets the Ed sells to install the 4th gen (98-02) discs on a 3rd gen delete the parking brake, unless things have changed.
if you have the factory 4th gen backing plates with the parking brake setup, order the housing ends to match a factory 98-02 f body. They are good brakes.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 280 Likes on 218 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 406 on N20 w/ EFI
Transmission: P.B. 700R4
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt w/ 3.91

ah, awesome. Im keeping eyes on this thread.

this upcoming january/february I plan on doing a mega full rear axle housing and beefy driveshaft upgrade to my car. probably a 12 bolt or 9" . my only real dilemma (aside from budget) is what to do about my brakes as well. I ALSO have a kit from Ed Miller at Flynbye, but mine is the C4 corvette kit 12" rotors with the PBR caliper. I want to keep my brake setup because I already own it and it works great so no need to buy another one preinstalled on the axle when I order, but I am not sure how to go about getting a rear end built to include my brake package. Ill probably have to call and make some measurements/photos.

Im staying tuned here though. good luck. keep us updated.

Last edited by IROCZman15; 10-08-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:53 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks for the great responses guys. I first found QP when I was searching for a bolt in 9" Ford housing. Then my friend used their housing in his 72 Chevelle and had such a great time working with QP and their unit fit perfect in his car, and really well built. So, QP was a natural choice for me. QP wasn't sure what the difference might be with Ed's caliper brackets, to fit the LS1 brakes on the 3rd gen axle. We know that the bolt pattern is different. Worst case, I have to find 2002 brackets. Otherwise, and this will be my first choice, I drill the brackets to fit the axle ends. As long as I can align the brackets with at least one or two bolts on each side, I'll be happy. The LS1 kit from Fly N' Bye includes parking brakes with new cables to fit the 3rd gen. Very nice kit. I can't comment on the PBR kit for the 3rd gen. It looks like Ed had brackets made for the LS1 kit. I would assume he did the same for the PBRs to make a kit that was a true bolt on. You may be in the same boat I am since no one offers 3rd gen axle ends for the 9" housing.

I did alot of research on different rear axle options before settling on the 9" Ford. I looked at the 12 bolt GM, the Dana 44 and Dana 60, including the Strange S60. The 9" Ford seems to be better for high performance use because it has a more ideal pinion to ring gear alignment angle, along with the inside pinion support bearing. It also has one big advantage over every other rear axle on this list in that the center section is separate from the axle housing. This means that the housing can be fabricated for light weight and strength by an aftermarket fabricator. The center section can also be made from light weight aluminum for further weight savings. That's the route I'm going. The end result is a rear axle not much heavier than stock with 700hp capacity. As far as cost, I could have saved money using the stock Ford housing option and a nodular iron center section. I could have saved even more using a clutch posi instead of the True trac. On the other hand, how many times have we each done something the cheaper way only to end up doing it the right way some time later. We just end up wasting the money we spent on the cheap option the first time. I decided this time to just do it right from the start. It just means saving up a little longer. I already saved the cash for the housing and axles in just a few months. Now, a few more months(maybe longer since it's winter time at the shop now), and I'll have the center section. Once I have this guy installed, assuming it all works out right, I'll be done worrying about the rear axle, aside from oil changes.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Iroc z
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:42

I just finished installing a QP 9". I also got the fabbed housing. Really nice stuff from these guys. Install went smooth. Just have to clearance the tunnel for the torque arm bracket. I went with Gen 5 14" camaro rear brakes from bigbrake upgrade. Everything bolted in nice. Just my 2 cents on the 9".
Old 10-15-2018, 02:08 PM

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Car: 1991 camaro Z28
Engine: Forged 370" LS turbo s480
Transmission: Built 4L80e Circle D converter
Axle/Gears: 35 spline 3.25 gears

Originally Posted by crossrush
I just finished installing a QP 9". I also got the fabbed housing. Really nice stuff from these guys. Install went smooth. Just have to clearance the tunnel for the torque arm bracket. I went with Gen 5 14" camaro rear brakes from bigbrake upgrade. Everything bolted in nice. Just my 2 cents on the 9".
Did you get the flush mount ends on your 9"?? And The Gen 5 Camaro rear brake kit fit no problem?? Got the same rear just looking for a brake kit. Looking at that kit or this wilwood kit
Attached Thumbnails About to pull the trigger on new 9&quot; rear axle-screenshot_20181015-130811.jpg  
Old 10-15-2018, 02:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: BBC 509 Merlin ii 9.6:1 pump gas
Transmission: ATI pro th350 sfi case. TSI 5500 st
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 4:10s

I'll add my 2 cents about rear ends.

Ever think of a s60?

I got a strange s60 in mine. Tossed it in there 2 years back and it has taken 10 second passes with ease. Iirc it was about 2700 shipped to my door with strange rear discs brakes. All assembled. Jad it swapped in within 3 hrs. It was so easy to install. Was a drag race version so its 1200hp capible.

Personally unless you have a hole burning in your pocket a low cost s60 package for 2k that bolts right in is worth it and better then a ford 9 inch. About 2200 assembled.

As for weight this specific one weighed only 20 lbs more then the 10 bolt and is well worth it.

https://midwestchassis.com/products/...-mounts-prsf10
Old 10-15-2018, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by thatsupnow
Did you get the flush mount ends on your 9"?? And The Gen 5 Camaro rear brake kit fit no problem?? Got the same rear just looking for a brake kit. Looking at that kit or this wilwood kit
My housing had new style big ford ends put on. Scott at bigbrakeuograde has stock gen 5 camaro backing plates with or without ebake that should bolt right on. I had bought the wilwood kit you are looking at. Rotors are thinner than the camaro ones. Plus you can go to any auto pards store for replacement. Wilwood parts are pricey.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by crossrush
My housing had new style big ford ends put on. Scott at bigbrakeuograde has stock gen 5 camaro backing plates with or without ebake that should bolt right on. I had bought the wilwood kit you are looking at. Rotors are thinner than the camaro ones. Plus you can go to any auto pards store for replacement. Wilwood parts are pricey.
Good to know thanks for the heads up. I'm thinking I might just get the Moser economical brake kit. Good price
Old 10-17-2018, 10:03 AM
Supreme Member

That S60 does look like a nice unit. How much more to add a true trac posi I wonder? My entire rear end, including all the added options is 2,700 shipped to my door. If I had gone with less expensive options, like a nodular diff case and trac lock clutch posi instead of true trac, it would be closer to 2,000. The lighter fabricated housing and lightened axles added 150 by themselves. I already have a great rear brake set so that wasn't needed. Either way, I'm happy with the choice I made.

If I had the option then, I would have probably gone with the Wilwood 4 piston rears when I did my brake upgrade. They would match the Wilwoood fronts that I installed. The Wildwood rears weren't available then. Functionally though, I see no issues having the 13" rotors and Wilwood FSL fronts and the 12" rotors and LS1 rears. On hard braking, I have even bite on all four wheels. And this sucker stops on a dime. That's the idea right?

I went with the 93-02 flush mount billet axle ends. We'll just have to see how the brakes fit. Fly N' Bye did make the brackets to fit the 3rd gen axle ends so I won't be surprised if I have to tweak them to fit the axle ends. Otherwise, I can just try to find some factory 02 brackets.

I attached a few crappy photos (sorry for my cheap a** phone) of the housing. It showed up yesterday. The axles ship separate and will be here next week. Now I have to stuff funds away for the center section. Glad I got this part paid for though before winter sets in and work gets slow, which it already has. Last winter was pretty good though so I hope this year isn't too bad. I would like to have this guy ready to install when the weather dries up next spring.

Today I'm repairing/rebuilding body electrical on a 64 Cadillac. The things we do for love.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:43 PM
Supreme Member

fasteddi makes a good point about floor pan interference with the torque arm bracket on 9" Ford bolt ins. Looks like the interference issue will be in the tunnel. The S60 has the torque arm attachment cast into the pumpkin like the 7.5 has. No issue there. The QP 9" has a mount on top of the housing where the top link of their torque arm bracket attaches. This could be a problem. I was looking at the Moser 9" Ford housing, the factory Ford version. It has TA bracket mounts further to the left side. Looks like they barely clear the tunnel. My car is lowered so I'll have to see what kind of issues I run into.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by ASE doc
fasteddi makes a good point about floor pan interference with the torque arm bracket on 9" Ford bolt ins. Looks like the interference issue will be in the tunnel. The S60 has the torque arm attachment cast into the pumpkin like the 7.5 has. No issue there. The QP 9" has a mount on top of the housing where the top link of their torque arm bracket attaches. This could be a problem. I was looking at the Moser 9" Ford housing, the factory Ford version. It has TA bracket mounts further to the left side. Looks like they barely clear the tunnel. My car is lowered so I'll have to see what kind of issues I run into.
There is some clearancing required in the tunnel at the back with the QP rear end. My car is also lowered quite a bit. Everything clears fine. I had to modify my umi torque arm bracket to move it over to the second set of holes to give enough torque arm clearance in the tunnel. There was a guy on here that has some issues with the moser housing.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: BBC 509 Merlin ii 9.6:1 pump gas
Transmission: ATI pro th350 sfi case. TSI 5500 st
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 4:10s

Originally Posted by ASE doc

That S60 does look like a nice unit. How much more to add a true trac posi I wonder? My entire rear end, including all the added options is 2,700 shipped to my door. If I had gone with less expensive options, like a nodular diff case and trac lock clutch posi instead of true trac, it would be closer to 2,000. The lighter fabricated housing and lightened axles added 150 by themselves. I already have a great rear brake set so that wasn't needed. Either way, I'm happy with the choice I made.

If I had the option then, I would have probably gone with the Wilwood 4 piston rears when I did my brake upgrade. They would match the Wilwoood fronts that I installed. The Wildwood rears weren't available then. Functionally though, I see no issues having the 13" rotors and Wilwood FSL fronts and the 12" rotors and LS1 rears. On hard braking, I have even bite on all four wheels. And this sucker stops on a dime. That's the idea right?

I went with the 93-02 flush mount billet axle ends. We'll just have to see how the brakes fit. Fly N' Bye did make the brackets to fit the 3rd gen axle ends so I won't be surprised if I have to tweak them to fit the axle ends. Otherwise, I can just try to find some factory 02 brackets.

I attached a few crappy photos (sorry for my cheap a** phone) of the housing. It showed up yesterday. The axles ship separate and will be here next week. Now I have to stuff funds away for the center section. Glad I got this part paid for though before winter sets in and work gets slow, which it already has. Last winter was pretty good though so I hope this year isn't too bad. I would like to have this guy ready to install when the weather dries up next spring.

Today I'm repairing/rebuilding body electrical on a 64 Cadillac. The things we do for love.

Strange sells kits with the true trac in the s60. It's a touch more but we are still talking assembled rear end without rear brakes arround 2400 2500. Just depends where you get it. I got mine from midwest chassis.

All stock or aftermarket items bolt right onto this rear. No clearence issues at all. Litterly a bolt in piece. And has tq arm adjustment on axles.

like I said I'm not pushing a s60 just making people aware of it as most dont know how good these really are.

Mine came with gun drilled 35 spline axles. A lightened spool exc... its light for having a 9.75 ring gear.

btw summit actually sells a of the shelf custom strange chromolly driveshaft specifically for a s60 in a thirdgen f body. 1200hp rating just like the rear in most cases.
Makes the swap that much easier. Roughly 300 bucks.

Last edited by fasteddi; 10-18-2018 at 04:39 AM.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:55 AM
Supreme Member

Thanks again fasteddi. Again, that S60 looks sweet. I looked up the S60 on Strange's website yesterday. They list it at 2,700 and change with their helical gear posi. Still not bad. I'm starting to almost feel buyers remorse. I looked real briefly at the S60 a while back and went back to the 9" ford. It does look like the S60 is a cleaner install. Truly a bolt in piece. But, I've got the QP 9" housing though and I'm gonna use it. Especially since it was custom made for me. I looked a little more yesterday for any mention of interference issues with the 9" QP. I didn't see anything. I did catch one thread on another forum from a member here. 57Kid was having issues with the TA bracket attachments on the QP not preventing lateral movement, especially with an adjustable torque arm. His solution was very good. I can definitely see how that could be an issue with axle torque and sticky tires. Mine isn't a drag car. It will never see drag slicks and, unless my son in the future when this is his car fulfills his twin turbo dreams, it will never see more than 600hp. So I think I'll be okay. The angle of the upper leg of the TA bracket is pretty steep downward to the front. If it does hit the body, it will be only by a hair and should be easy to correct for.

One solution I found for an issue like the Kid was having is the one piece torque arm from Detroit Speed that attaches where the TA bracket would attach on the QP housing. This would eliminate the weak point where an adjustable TA would meet QP's bracket. Just tried to find the TA I'm talking about to post a link. No dice. I'll have to try again later.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 280 Likes on 218 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 406 on N20 w/ EFI
Transmission: P.B. 700R4
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt w/ 3.91

great info here. I am indeed learning a lot. I plan to make my purchase in january/February. Full rear assembly and driveshaft. I have heard that in a nutshell the S60 is great for drag racing, but not so well suited for autocross/road racing/ corner carving. Since I plan on doing all of the above as well as much drag racing and long cruises (basically an all-around use car), I think I will go with the 12 bolt from strange/moser/currie/qp/etc.I think all I have to do to remedy my brake conundrum is use a set of purpose built backing-plates which I think I found online from flynbye. I already have a S&W adjustable torque arm and dont want to mess with the extra bracketry required to make it work with a 9" rear and making clearance at the back of the trans tunnel.

I am following along on this thread and reading many others, so thank you to all that have posted information here.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:57 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 88 IROC-Z
Engine: 6.9L TPI(FIRST) 421ci
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" Eaton truetrac 3.50

Following along, is a custom drive shaft required for the ford 9? I am also in the market for a new rear.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:50 AM
Supreme Member

QP offers a variety of yoke sizes. The smallest being 1310, which I think is factory stock size on our cars. I don't plan on changing my driveshaft right away, as long as length isn't an issue. I have the GM performance parts aluminum in it now and want to keep it until I'm ready to have a custom aluminum one made. I'm thinking about getting the 1330 yoke though on the center section so I don't have to change it later and mess with pinion bearing preload. There are conversion u-joints available in any size you can think of. Should be able to use a 1310 to 1330 joint and use the stock size driveshaft with the bigger yoke.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:01 PM

Which way did you guys press the bearings on the axles?? Is that seal towards the brake side or facing the rear?? And do those need inner axle seals?? Sorry for the thread Jack
Attached Thumbnails About to pull the trigger on new 9&quot; rear axle-20181019_205839.jpg  
Old 10-23-2018, 09:09 PM

Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: 383 HSR Procharged
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 35 spline Wavetrac 3.89's

I can confirm the Moser 9" shifts the torque arm over a little bit and you'll probably have issues if the car is lowered. Mine is real close to the tunnel and I'm running the big UMI adjustable torque arm. For what it's worth, the Moser 9" bolted right in for me. I'm running the 35 spline axles and the nodular center section with the new 'indestructible' WaveTrac differential from Moser with 3.89 gears, long studs, big support bearing and 1350 yoke. Running drum brakes though and picked up the backing plates with e-brake provision from a scrapyard and the drums are new big Fords from parts store. Have a shop nearby that drilled them for the GM bolt pattern for me. No hiccups of any kind with the setup. Lakewood adjustable control arms too..

Good luck with your build!
Chris

Last edited by sparks454; 10-23-2018 at 09:15 PM. Reason: picture added