Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Torque converter hub to pump rotor fitment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 12:14 AM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Car: 92 Z28
Engine: Ramjet 350
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Torsen
Torque converter hub to pump rotor fitment.

So I checked the pump rotor to torque converter hub fitment. The ATRA book says " Although there isn't any official specification for this clearance value, the rotors ID should fit the end of the converter hub snugly, without a lot of noticeable side to side movement". Well mine fits with quite some side to side movement. I got the correct torque converter. Should I buy another rotor or not worry about it? Book says they come in different "thicknesses".. Maybe it shouldn't be a big deal since the TC only spins one way. ?
Old 10-11-2018, 09:29 PM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Car: 92 Z28
Engine: Ramjet 350
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Torsen
Re: Torque converter hub to pump rotor fitment.

Cant find anything on google about this subject.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:14 AM
Supreme Member

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Re: Torque converter hub to pump rotor fitment.

You should be fine. Is this a new rotor or a used one? if it is a used one, get another a new rotor. Get an after market one as they almost always come in one size unless special ordered otherwise. Use a micrometer or calipers to make sure it is within one thousandth thickness of the original rotor. Flat sand lightly the sides of the new rotor with 600 or 1,000 grit sandpaper on a very flat surface. Take one of the vanes and put it in each slot of the rotor to make sure it will move easily. Put the rotor over the hub of the torque converter to make sure it goes over the hub easily. If it does not go on smoothly, take a rubber tipped hammer and hit it softly on the side to get rid of any high spots on the inside of the rotor. Use high pressured air on the rotor to blow off any debris from sanding and fitment. That is it.