Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

700R4 converter spacing

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 07:30 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
700R4 converter spacing

I have a 700R4 out of a 1990 Corvette. I am rebuilding my '81 Chevy C10 pickup (to be powered by a First Fuel Injection TPI system) on a new Chevy Performance SP350 crate motor. So, I got a Precision Vigilante converter, and while I am convinced it is mounted all the way on (three clunks while rotating it, etc) by measurement it is not. The converter mount pad to bellhousing face measurment is supposed to be 1 1/8 inches. Mine is at just under 1 inch. I did position the trans behind the motor and the converter is flush mounted to the flexplate. Not binding, but no room to pull it forward to the flexplate as is required to not hurt the trans. I have tried and tried to get the converter to seat more to no avail. Is anyone able to tell me what their measurement is converter pad to bellhousing? That is if you happen to have one laying around haha. Just trying to figure this out.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:10 PM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R
Re: 700R4 converter spacing

Precision is the one to be asking. Do you have any space at all, using feeler gauges between flexplate and mount pads. It may be okay if it has a little movement, but again, ask Prec.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by jmd
Precision is the one to be asking. Do you have any space at all, using feeler gauges between flexplate and mount pads. It may be okay if it has a little movement, but again, ask Prec.
I did, they basically said if it's not free spinning when lined up to the motor then it must not be in all the way. I know if there's no free space to slightly pull it forward to the flexplate (which there's not, its exactly at the flexplate) then something is wrong. I just can't figure out how to get it to go in any more, it feels totally seated.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:06 PM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R

Yeah, I would start questioning the pump perhaps, and I know you said clunk x 3.
Any known-good V8 85-93 700R4 converter (that isn't full of trash!) could seat in there and give you a reference point.
Sometimes perfectly good stock stuff is real handy for mockup. But my 700 core and converter are too far to help.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

If you can spin the torque converter, (with the transmission bolted to the back of the block) then you should be ok. You want to push on the torque converter to the rear of the vehicle, and measure the space between the torque converter and the mounting hole on the flex plate. The mounting pad must be over the hole in the flex plate. Keep adding numbers to the feeler gauge till you get resistance. Once you get resistance, add the numbers up, and this is the clearance. So the number (when adding the feeler gauge numbers together) should be a minimum of .100" and maximum of .125". If the numbers are different from what is stated, post them here and we will tell you how to address this. If the numbers are as stated, then you should be ready to go.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Pro Built Automatics
If you can spin the torque converter, (with the transmission bolted to the back of the block) then you should be ok. You want to push on the torque converter to the rear of the vehicle, and measure the space between the torque converter and the mounting hole on the flex plate. The mounting pad must be over the hole in the flex plate. Keep adding numbers to the feeler gauge till you get resistance. Once you get resistance, add the numbers up, and this is the clearance. So the number (when adding the feeler gauge numbers together) should be a minimum of .100" and maximum of .125". If the numbers are different from what is stated, post them here and we will tell you how to address this. If the numbers are as stated, then you should be ready to go.
Great thanks! I will report back.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:54 PM

Brought the tranny and converter to the local old school transmission shop. He says I have it in all the way. It measures .96 inch from converter mounting pad to bellhousing face (even though everyone says it should be 1.125 inch when fully seated). Using my old flexplate, it is approximately .88 in from flexplate mounting pad to motor. So theoretically there should be about .08 inch of play between converter and flexplate. Hope that's enough to not damage the tranny pump. I'll find out soon enough. I'm more concerned about hurting this Vigilante converter.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:15 PM

Well got them installed! Has about .09 clearance. Thanks for the replies!