Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Reverse drum bench testing.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 04:58 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Car: 92 Z28
Engine: Ramjet 350
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Torsen
Reverse drum bench testing.

Air testing the reverse drum and I have leakage past the stator rings. The piston will apply but it leaks quite a bit. Is this acceptable for scarf cut rings. I used them on my other build and they did not leak but they do on this one. Reverse drum is in good shape were the rings seal. I ordered some solid ones just incase. I heard that a bit of leakage is ok since air can get by the rings better than the thick atf. Pro built wya?
Old 04-18-2019, 09:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Re: Reverse drum bench testing.

What pressure are you using here? Are you using the Belville steel on top of the apply piston? Or the waved steel here/ The scarf have always worked well for me. So I am not sure what is going on here. Make sure the scarf cut ring is nor overlapped the wrong way. It is easy to do, not not be noticed unless looked at closely. You can call me if you want. Number on website, if you do not have it.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Pro Built Automatics
What pressure are you using here? Are you using the Belville steel on top of the apply piston? Or the waved steel here/ The scarf have always worked well for me. So I am not sure what is going on here. Make sure the scarf cut ring is nor overlapped the wrong way. It is easy to do, not not be noticed unless looked at closely. You can call me if you want. Number on website, if you do not have it.
Using the belville plate. Yeah on my first build I used the scarf and they sealed up just fine. No leaks. Kinda weird because when I tore down this unit it had solid sealing rings and when testing the reverse drum with the old rings it sealed up just fine so I was gonna reuse them. But upon testing and removing the drum back and forth I tore one of the rings and said screw it so I removed the old ones and installed the fresh scarf cut rings . Upon testing the drum at 100 psi I have leakage past the rings. I can feel the air coming from the reverse drum bushing. The clutches still engage but I have leakage. I tested it with another pump that I have and same thing. Also tested another reverse drum that I have with both pumps and same thing. I have the solid ones just waiting trying to figure out what could be the issue before I install them.

Also when testing my forward and 3 4 clutches with the pump on the bench, reverse drum, and input housing stacked up. Reverse drum washer and bearings in place. When I apply air to the 3 4 hole the clutches engage fine but I have air coming out the forward clutch hole. Forward clutches do not engage btw. Same thing vice versa. If I apply air to the forward clutch hole, clutches engage but have air coming out the 3 4 hole. 3 4s do not engage. Is this normal. ? I don't quite remember from my first rebuild.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:29 PM

Hey I found out I resized the input shaft sealing rings too much. Put new sealing rings on and resized them just a bit and now I have no leaks through other circuits. Thanks for the help Dana.