Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Quick Performance 9" Ford

Old 07-12-2019, 05:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Pro Built Auto 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac
Quick Performance 9" Ford

Hi Everyone.

Been a while since I visited. Nothing new to talk about, until now. I finally blew up my OE rear diff last fall. Can't believe it survived all these years behind this motor. Only because I never ran sticky tires or even heated up the BFGs on a launch.

I had planned to install the QP fabricated 9" and aluminum center at some point anyway but was putting it off, working on other areas of the car. Peeled ring gear teeth moved the new rear end to the front of the list. I got the housing and axles last fall soon after the blow up. Had to wait on the center til after I got my wife and grandson off to Disneyland and such. You know, happy wife happy hot rodder, or something like that. Today I ordered the Yukon through bolt aluminum case with 3.70 ratio(stock was 3.23) and TruTrac posi. Went with 31 spline lightened axles. It looks like I still end up at around 180lbs total weight, even with the fab housing and aluminum case, lighter than a factory 9" or 12 bolt though. I want to stay as close as possible to the factory unsprung weight of the rear axle. In any case, I should have a rear axle that can take all that I'll ever throw at it and more with a gain of only about 25lbs. When the unit gets here, I'll start a build and install thread with photos. I'm generally too f-in lazy and selfish for pictures but I promise I'll post some this time.