Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Auto to TKO-600 Swap - Shift Boot Hole Location

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Auto to TKO-600 Swap - Shift Boot Hole Location

Picture got rotated 90 degrees CCW somehow.

Is this the correct orientation/location for the boot or is it upside down?

How is this boot mounted from the factory?

Any chance someone has a picture of the cutout from the interior of the car?
Old 05-19-2020, 02:29 PM

Received 168 Likes on 133 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am
Engine: sp357
Transmission: T-5
Re: Auto to TKO-600 Swap - Shift Boot Hole Location

I would worry about the boot last. Depending on how the shifter is oriented on the TKO might affect the direction you will want to mount the shift boot. Mine is mounted with self tapping screws, but the factory used a "doubler ring" around the hole probably also utilizing self tappers.

The best method of determining the shifter hole would be to mount the transmission up to the engine with the shifter removed and shift hole covered and move the transmission into place as if you were installing it. Get a couple of bolts into the cross member to locate it side to side. Now reach up with a spring loaded punch or other marking tool and transfer impressions into the sheet metal around the shifter area.

Depending on how your TKO is being mated to the engine (stock bellhousing, stock bellhousing with adapter plate or lackwood/quicktime bellhousing) the location and orientation of the shift hole will change. I suppose you could just cut a giant gaping hole and just hope for the best however.

Pic courtesy of DynoDon

Old 05-19-2020, 08:20 PM

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to cut the hole before I mount the tranny but doing it the way you said is probably the right thing to do. Do you know if I have the boot in the right orientation (2 holes in the back, 1 in front) at least? How much room should I leave around the shifter on the tranny to allow for movement?
Old 05-19-2020, 09:08 PM

Sitting in the driver seat with the top of the photo towards the dash, this is how it should look with the T-5 since the T-5 sits canted and to the left in the trans tunnel. With the TKO you might find the boot needs to be flipped 180 degrees. That's why I would suggest leaving that to the end so you can figure out optimum boot placement with the TKO shifter.

Old 05-20-2020, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by WildCard600
Sitting in the driver seat with the top of the photo towards the dash, this is how it should look with the T-5 since the T-5 sits canted and to the left in the trans tunnel. With the TKO you might find the boot needs to be flipped 180 degrees. That's why I would suggest leaving that to the end so you can figure out optimum boot placement with the TKO shifter.
Thanks again. Is the goal to get the circular hole in the shift boot directly over the center of the shifter opening on the TKO or should I try and mount the boot a little further back towards the rear of the car? I've read that I'm going to want to relocate the shifter about 2 inches back from where it would want to come up with the standard shift lever.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Yeesh
Thanks again. Is the goal to get the circular hole in the shift boot directly over the center of the shifter opening on the TKO or should I try and mount the boot a little further back towards the rear of the car? I've read that I'm going to want to relocate the shifter about 2 inches back from where it would want to come up with the standard shift lever.
I've never seen how the TKO fits in these cars, unfortunately. No one on this forum who has put one in seems to have documented it with photos (You could be the first !). I would think mounting the shift boot centered over the transmission tunnel as normal (or flipping it 180) is the best option since trying to mount it off center (as to center the hole in the shift boot) might result in poor sealing of the boot on the trans tunnel due to the curvature and shape of the tunnel.

Relocating the shift lever in the console is going to be a function of a bracket on the shift stub inside the car after it comes up through the shift boot if my understanding of what my research is telling is correct. I've been eyeing the relocation shifter from Modern Driveline if I end up going the TKO route. Though simply using a piece of flat steel with a few holes drilled in it could accomplish the same thing. https://www.moderndriveline.com/shop...er-tko500-600/

Old 05-20-2020, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by WildCard600
I've never seen how the TKO fits in these cars, unfortunately. No one on this forum who has put one in seems to have documented it with photos (You could be the first !). I would think mounting the shift boot centered over the transmission tunnel as normal (or flipping it 180) is the best option since trying to mount it off center (as to center the hole in the shift boot) might result in poor sealing of the boot on the trans tunnel due to the curvature and shape of the tunnel.

Relocating the shift lever in the console is going to be a function of a bracket on the shift stub inside the car after it comes up through the shift boot if my understanding of what my research is telling is correct. I've been eyeing the relocation shifter from Modern Driveline if I end up going the TKO route. Though simply using a piece of flat steel with a few holes drilled in it could accomplish the same thing. https://www.moderndriveline.com/shop...er-tko500-600/
I will definitely document my install! That's s nice looking shifter but like you said I'll probably fab up some flat steel to relocate the handle on the Tremec shifter. I can always upgrade later if needed.
The following users liked this post:
WildCard600 (05-20-2020)