Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Need quick help installing B&M Megashifter

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need quick help installing B&M Megashifter

I know I read on here that you can use the stock cables instead of the one that came with it. Well I have my whole car ripped apart and I was wondering if thats true. I dont see how, and I asked someone and they dont see how eather, but were going over the directions again. So yes/no you can use stock cables and if so is there anything special you have to do to make it work?

Thanks so much
Old 01-19-2002, 07:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 99 Formula
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
You can use the stock cable, I for one have and so have others. The thing is you have to cut the bracket off the new shifter and old on, and bolt the bracket from the old shifter to the new one so the cable will line up. I forget all the details, but I'm sure you can look at it and figure it out. Oh, and when I say bolt, make sure you bolt, because if you try to use pressure like my Dad did, the tension from the shifter will break it loose and you'll be stuck in 1st gear like I was no matter what you try to shift to.
Old 01-20-2002, 09:01 AM

Just cut both brackets off with a chop saw then weld the old one on the Megashifter. If you don't have a welder, take it to an exhaust shop and have them do it. Only needs about a half inch weld. They might even do it for free.

Brad...
Old 01-20-2002, 08:53 PM

I ended up just using the cable that came with it. I thought it would be too much hassle to cut them.

I have it almost done, its in and I just need to cut the console.

A few more questions come to mind; why the f*** cant they make it to use the stock cable, or atleast have a bracket included to use the stock cable. And then the cable they give you is a universal cable, why cant they give you one thats just the right size. Then they want you to cut the wires up and make them 4" longer, they cant make it a direct plug in like the stock shifter. Then theres the relay they want you to buy, for all the money I waisted on this piece of **** you think they could include one.

Im just really dissapointed with this, of all the sales brocures I saw they made it sound like it was a direct fit. I also did call up there tech support and the ******* assured me this was designed just for fbodys and there will be just minor work to make it fit.
Old 01-23-2002, 08:29 PM

It's not hard to hook up the stock cable. the hardest part was just ajusting it when you put it in. It sure is alot easier than this cut and weld **** that you guys are talkin about!!!
Attached Thumbnails Need quick help installing B&M Megashifter-shifter.jpg  
Old 01-23-2002, 08:31 PM

woops...i dont mean stock cable, i mean the B&M one!!! sorry