Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Tranny shift points

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2002, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny shift points

91 camaro RS. Greetings to all.

I have recently had some tranny problems and someone here suggested adjusting the TV cable which helped immensly. The procedure I followed was to push the D button in, slide the cable all the way toward the firewall, let go of the D button and mash the throttle to the floor, this seemed to really help But, there is still a couple of glitchy problems.

The first and most troubling is that my car tends to want to downshift while in over drive on the freeway. It is just at that point when cruising at 55-60 mph if I give it any throttle at all it wants to down shift, it jumps back and forth etc.

The second glitch is that sometimes it still doesn't shift properly unless I slam the throttle once or twice. I was thinking maybe the linkage was sticky. I noticed when looking underneath the car that there is a boot over the tranny linkage that is torn. I WD'd the whole linkage hoping that would help if it was sticking. Is this boot being torn a big problem. could my linkage be sticking.

Also, I read somewhere that after adjusting the Tranny cable I need to adjust the throttle cable too, I didn't do this and can't find that again. Is this true? and if so any idea on how to do this.

Thanks, I love you Man!!!!! hehe

Old 01-22-2002, 06:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless you mean to say the shifter cable then the tranny cable is the TV Cable. Use this method: To adjust the TV Cable skip the book method and do this: Press the 'D' shaped lock button on the adjuster and loosen the cable setting (The black housing that the metal cable is in will move forward). Now, have someone floor the gas pedal while you check to see if the throttle plate is open all the way. Usually they are off a little and will wiggle. Do whatever you have to do to get it open solid. Now, with the pedal still floored, press the 'D' button and pull the cable casing (the black tube) back as hard as you can (putting maximum tension on the metal cable) and release the button. You now have the engine, tranny and gas pedal all in sync at WOT. Mark the cable casing so if for some reason it gets moved you can know where to put it again. The problem with the 'self adjust method' is that it bends things and puts them permanently out of whack. It is also the full TV setting, which is theoretically what the GM method does.