V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Tune up for my 2.8

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2002, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tune up for my 2.8

Hey

I have an 89 firebird 2.8, when i first got it i put bosch platinum plugs, wires, rotor button, distributor cap, what else can i do to really tune this puppy right up. I put regular wires, not performance ones, would performance wires make a big difference??? I've been looking at the accel ones....any info on this tuneup....
Old 05-16-2002, 01:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Welcome to the club!

I did a back-to-back test, running stock (okay, well, less than stock, so lets call 'em "cheap") 7mm wires, and then running my MSD 8.5mm wires. It seemed like the car was hesitant to rev with the cheap wires on. With the MSD wires on, the motor seemed to rev up faster (and easier). I could feel a negative difference when I went from MSD to the 7mm's, and then an improvement when I went from the 7mm's to the MSD's again.

But like you know, you've left a few tuneup pieces out... I'd say to click on "search" in the upper right hand corner of this screen, right below the advertisements, but I've gone and searched for it so you don't have to: https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...threadid=62882