V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

My engine is whining..

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
My engine is whining..

Everytime I start my car now and put in drive my engine makes a whining noise. Even when I let off the gas, it makes this noise. I just had a my B&M megashifter installed and i had my whole dash torn apart and I thought it was just an ordinary noise cuz everything was open but when I put all the panels back on and I realized the sound is coming from somewhere under the hood. The mechanic didn't comment on the noise when he drove the car to my house. But it bothers me because it just popped up and it's kinda loud too. My car isn't idling rough and the accleration is fine. Any ideas? I'm still in the learning process and my knowledge on cars is very minimal. I just had tuned last March and I don't want to take it back to the mechanic because i'm not very impressed with the work that he did on my shifter. I'm hoping that I can figure out what's wrong and my dad and I can fix it.

I have the list of things done to my car on my website if that helps you out any.

I know it's kind of vague, but has anyone else had a similar problem like this?
Old 01-09-2003, 07:46 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 95 E-150 & 07 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Engine: A slow one & a fast one
Transmission: A bad one & a good one
Axle/Gears: A weak one & a chained one
Does the whining get louder when you turn the steering wheel? Try it....do several fairly sharp turns. If it does...that's your power steering pump going into retirement..time to replace.

Also..you said it only does it when in gear? So, it doesn't in park or neutral??
Old 01-09-2003, 07:56 PM

It starts making the noise as soon as i fire it up. I let it sit and warm for 10 minutes this morning hoping that it go away but to answer your question it does make the whining noise when it's in park.

I'll have to listen better tomorrow when i go to work to answer your question about he steering.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:58 PM
Supreme Member

Ok. I'd bet money it's your power steering pump. Leaking anything? Remove the cap and check the dipstick..make sure it's topped off on fluid before you try the test...could be low.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:34 PM
Supreme Member

Engine: LH0 3.1L
Could be anything. You need to pinpoint the noise. FIRST thing you need to do is run the engine with the belt off. This eliminates (or condemns) all of your accessories like the alternator and water pump.

Don't jump to conclusions unless you're sure.
Old 01-10-2003, 01:26 AM

Running the engine without the belt on,... Never heard of that one. Don't let the poor thing overheat. :lala: Just out of curiosity, How long would the battery last without an alternator charging it? How much current does it take to run an engine? Can 10-20 seconds of this "test" hurt anything?
Old 01-10-2003, 03:38 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 RS
Engine: 3.1L V6
Transmission: T5
When you rev the engine, does the whine get higher pitched? I had my alternator going out and it whined like a punk!
Old 01-10-2003, 04:28 PM

I'm almost 100% sure that the sound is coming from my alternator. I had my sister rev my engine and I was listening and it was coming from that area. If my alternator is going can that cause a shortage in power? What I mean is that when I went to turn on my heat this morning all my lights dimmed and then the noise got louder. I turned my heat off right away after i saw that! Is replacing an alternator a fairly easy job?
Old 01-10-2003, 07:03 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 RS
Engine: 3.1L V6
Transmission: T5
Changine the alternator is cake. Basicly on your car all you do is get a 15mm socket and turn the belt tensioner counterclock wise to loosen the belt, then pull the belt off the alternator pully. Then it's just a matter of bolts on the alternator. I think they're all 10mm but maybe I'm wrong. FIRST, UNHOOK THE BATTERY! One of the bolts on the back is covering a power wire O ring for the alternator. If your wrench touches that (this is if you don't unplug the battery ) SPARKS FLY! Also you have to unclip the wires from it. I might have made it sound like a lot but I had my alternator go out like 5 times in 4 months (DAMN autozone rebuilders! Good thing I have a lifetime replacement warranty!) so it only takes me like 5 minutes to change it now. ( maybe less) So have fun! If you're not sure about the alternator being the culprit, take it and your battery into a checker or auto zone to have them checked.
Old 01-10-2003, 07:17 PM

Thanks .if got time, I'm gonna try working on it tomorrow. I can't keep driving it like this. I don't wanna get towed again(long story hehe).

Last edited by Erin91RS; 01-10-2003 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-10-2003, 07:40 PM
Supreme Member

Totally the alternator...lights dimming like that is a dead on ***** indicator. My friend's car's alternator is so bad that hitting the brakes (hence turning on brake lights) makes the car run rough, and putting his headlights on stalls his car... Alternator is so easy it's not funny..even if you don't know what the hell you're doing! Easier than changing spark plugs on this motor. That's no joke either... By the way...I wouldn't trust Autozone for any parts....I don't go there anymore..all I keep hearing is bad stuff. Go to Discount Auto (up north or other places I think it's called Advance Auto)....they've got the same stuff or usually better, and they're almost always cheaper than Autozone. When I got my starter it was a whole $20-$30 cheaper at Discount than Autozone. I'm boycotting Autozone..except when I need to buy stupid crap like headlights or light bulbs or fuses or ***** accessories...they've got plenty of those!
Old 01-11-2003, 03:35 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Project92
Running the engine without the belt on,... Never heard of that one. Don't let the poor thing overheat. :lala: Just out of curiosity, How long would the battery last without an alternator charging it? How much current does it take to run an engine? Can 10-20 seconds of this "test" hurt anything?
Yeah, you don't want to run it for too long but 20 seconds isn't gonna hurt a damn thing. This is a VERY COMMON test when it comes to noise diagnosis.

My guess is a car would run about 30 minutes or so if the alternator wasn't charging.
Old 01-11-2003, 03:40 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Nixon1
... By the way...I wouldn't trust Autozone for any parts....I don't go there anymore..all I keep hearing is bad stuff. Go to Discount Auto (up north or other places I think it's called Advance Auto)....they've got the same stuff or usually better, and they're almost always cheaper than Autozone. When I got my starter it was a whole $20-$30 cheaper at Discount than Autozone. I'm boycotting Autozone..except when I need to buy stupid crap like headlights or light bulbs or fuses or ***** accessories...they've got plenty of those!
You know that Autozone most likely sells "rebuilt" units where someone will replace ONLY what is wrong with a part and that's it. Every other part is OLD. GM sells "remanufactured" parts where ALL the wear parts are replaced, not just the bad ones.
Old 01-11-2003, 09:04 AM
Supreme Member

Yeah..I got a remanufactured starter from Discount so I'm all good. Not to mention lifetime warranty. Thing even LOOKS good... Gloss black starter casing, and the solenoid is silverish. Love that thing...it's the quietest starter I've ever heard too.
Old 01-11-2003, 10:49 PM

My car also makes a whining noise when I hammer it! Oh ya its my B&M 144 supercharger!! hehe

Sorry just had to
Old 01-12-2003, 12:28 AM
Supreme Member

Screw you. My water pump...at least I think it's my water pump...is on its way out and it makes this constant irritating squeaking/squealing/chirping noise. I tell friends that the ball bearings in my turbo are shot. Of course they know I'm lying..but still...
Old 01-12-2003, 12:53 AM

i always ****ing hit that bolt on the alternator and sparks fly, i hate it! lol, gotta get something to cover that up
Old 01-12-2003, 01:35 AM
Supreme Member

That's why ya disconnect the battery!! Buddy of mine let the cable hang loose and it made contact with his beautiful chrome valve cover. Ruined it. It's got a huge scorch mark and is deformed now too...
Old 01-12-2003, 01:53 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Slow2.8
i always ****ing hit that bolt on the alternator and sparks fly, i hate it! lol, gotta get something to cover that up
Can't stress this enough- Always, Always disconnect you negative battery cable first before you work on your car. You'll fry your electrical system if your not too lucky.