V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

TomP's Major tune-up

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1 L
Transmission: Auto
TomP's Major tune-up

Hey I was just wondering something about the tune uo outlined by tomP, he says do a lube job, but i have no idea what that means, any help??
thanks
Mitch
Old 03-29-2004, 08:51 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 firebird
Engine: Pos 2.8 pulled and replaced with a 350 tpi motor converted to carb.
Transmission: 700r4, vette servo,shift kit, hayden 15"x8" trans cooler.
my guess would be to lube everything under the car that takes grease etc.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41
That means that any and all grease nipples you see on the chassis hinge points have to be greased, ex, ball joints, door hinges (if the bushings have fittings), etc....
You need a grease gun to do this, BTW...
Old 03-29-2004, 10:08 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 firebird
Engine: Pos 2.8 pulled and replaced with a 350 tpi motor converted to carb.
Transmission: 700r4, vette servo,shift kit, hayden 15"x8" trans cooler.
theirs a joke here with all this talk about greasing nipples and *****! sorry couldnt help it, lol
Old 03-30-2004, 02:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
LOL!

Here's a quote from a message I put up a while ago... find the original message here: https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...threadid=97756

Originally posted by TomP
Just some generic info that was asked for...

A lube job is when you add grease to all the joints of the front suspension linkage. It should be done every time you change your oil.

If you crawl under the front of the car, you'll see the "zerk fittings", to which a grease gun attaches to. They look like little nipples; for real! They're probably covered in dirt, so wipe 'em down with a paper towel.

Where's the fittings? Slide under the front of the car. Look by the the anti-sway-bar to find the "center link". It has the "inner & outer tie rods" at each end, and a pitman arm on the driver's side, and an idler arm on the passenger side. The steering box moves the pitman arm, which moves the center link, which moves each inner/outer tie rod combo, which eventually moves the tires.

Look at an outer tie rod end from the bottom to find a grease fitting. There's also fittings on the balljoints (bottom center of the lower control arms, where the front springs are). There's 9 zerk fittings in all on the front suspension; can ya find 'em all? Look at all the joints.

You can buy a little grease gun for $10-$15. That one will take little cartridges. You can either move to synthetic grease, or stay with the organic grease... doesn't really matter. Synthetic will last longer and lube better, but if you keep up on your lube jobs, you don't really need it. Both synth and dino are lithium based, so they're compatible. DON'T buy "marine grease"- it's silicone based, and is NOT compatible. It's used for polygraphite/polyurethane bushings, NOT rubber.

The little grease cartridges are usually sold in packs of 3 or 5- make sure the package says "GM compatible wheel bearing" somewhere on the back. (They all should.) A better grease gun will take larger cartridges (sold individually), and have a hose (easier to work with) instead of a metal line. I have an air powered grease gun!

Wipe the fittings off before you lube 'em. Give each fitting enough pumps of the gun so you can see new grease come out. The balljoints are tough to see. Don't pump the balljoints up too much, the grease boots can pop, give them at max 5-7 pumps. This is "my" max, with a grease gun that uses the large cartridges. I'm sure the larger gun puts out more grease "per pump" than a smaller gun does.
You can buy a gun at places like Pep Boys. Try to get one with a flex hose to make life MUCH happier! Here's one example from northerntool.com - http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...roductId=55455
Old 03-30-2004, 03:04 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Trans-Am GTA
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: WC-T5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.27
i just did a lube job on my car for the first time this winter and water came out of my balljoints! no joke about keeping afteer your lube work. i now lube with every oil change since i replaced all nine of the items grease goes into.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:04 PM

Is there only 2 places for me to lube or are there a few others?
Mitchell
Old 03-30-2004, 11:13 PM

Ok theres 9 i found another post sorry for that one.
sorry
Mitch
Old 03-30-2004, 11:19 PM

Ok sorry for the multiple posts, I bought some grease, didnt realize i needed a grease gun because I never knew about doing this, Learn something everyday, and this was a good one. Well i bought some cheap stuff at the store the other day, just some super tech Lithium General Purpose Grease. it says on the back for use on chassis fittings, springs, water pumps, bearings and any general lubrication, but it doesnt say anything about GM compatible wheel bearings, is that bad? any help would be great
Thanks
Mitch

and if this isnt the stuff what is this for?
Old 03-31-2004, 07:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
It might not be meant for high temp applications... I'd be a little worried about using it. I've seen $3 non-synthetic grease that said it's met GM certifications...