V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Radiator plastic tank blew...replacement options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 08:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Red/Blk Bird loaded 3.4L & 700R4
Transmission: Th700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Radiator plastic tank blew...replacement options?

So what options are there for a new radiator. The ones I have seen in mags have the v-8 set up... (universals) Would prefer not to have to go with GM too much $ and would still have the plastic tanks!

Cap on pass, upper hose on drivers, and lower hose on pass! This is what the universals I found offer...

So what have you all used?
Old 06-06-2005, 09:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Agood2.8,
Engine: V6rsr,
Transmission: Afrikingoodtime
Funny you ask. This is going into my Camaro the end of next week. BeCool 700hp modular kit.

Now many of you may ask "why a 700hp kit"? Its just the fan relay system BeCool labels the kit to handle a Maximum of 700hp. I am going someday in the near future to a full time electric waterpump setup and I run a very trick 700r4 transmission that needs to remain very coolThis radiator will help keep the trans temp down and will maintain a 175* running temp always een in the hottest days in the hardest running conditions without 10* of fluctuation at the very most in running temp. This makes a motor very reliable running a contant temp for wear patterns.
Attached Thumbnails Radiator plastic tank blew...replacement options?-1.jpg  
Old 06-06-2005, 09:52 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Camaro RS
Engine: 2.8L of Raw POWER!!!
Transmission: Stick Shift
Axle/Gears: 3.42's
Dude, RTFC, that is one sweet Radiator

RedRaif, I had the exact same thing happen to me like a month ago, I just got a Modine Exact Replacment. Took 30 minutes to rip the old one out, put the new one in and refill. Has all metal tanks and everything. When they say factory fit, they ment it, everything lined up perfectly the first time I set it on the supports.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:59 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1985 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 with stuffs.
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.10 Posi
Originally posted by 2_point8_boy
Dude, RTFC, that is one sweet Radiator

RedRaif, I had the exact same thing happen to me like a month ago, I just got a Modine Exact Replacment. Took 30 minutes to rip the old one out, put the new one in and refill. Has all metal tanks and everything. When they say factory fit, they ment it, everything lined up perfectly the first time I set it on the supports.

Sounds pretty sweet. Where did you get this radiator, and what did it cost?
Old 06-07-2005, 12:55 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Quick_Trans_Am
Sounds pretty sweet. Where did you get this radiator, and what did it cost?
Thank you guys. They are very nice. I have them in other vehicles also. It is well worth the money if it is a car or truck you never intend on selling and want to keep things reliable. The radiators are not cheap, you can find them at Summit racing. I bought the entire radiator/fan package and then boiught the stainless steel solid flexhoses separately through summit.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:00 AM
Banned

Here's basically the same type of BeCool setup in my '89 Chev truck. I have had this rad for about 10 years.
Attached Thumbnails Radiator plastic tank blew...replacement options?-1-2-03-003.jpg  
Old 06-07-2005, 09:47 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Camaro RS
Engine: 2.8L of Raw POWER!!!
Transmission: Stick Shift
Axle/Gears: 3.42's
My Modine Replacment cost me $160 and you can order it through any parts store. i would go to like Carquest or Napa becuase they are higher end and are more likely to be able to get it. It's a 2 core with metal tanks and man, for the money and ease of installation, it's an awesome radiator.

Next time thgouh, if I have the cash, I'll be buyin' the one like RTFC's. That thing is bad ***.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:47 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by RTFC
Funny you ask. This is going into my Camaro the end of next week. BeCool 700hp modular kit.

Now many of you may ask "why a 700hp kit"? Its just the fan relay system BeCool labels the kit to handle a Maximum of 700hp. I am going someday in the near future to a full time electric waterpump setup and I run a very trick 700r4 transmission that needs to remain very coolThis radiator will help keep the trans temp down and will maintain a 175* running temp always een in the hottest days in the hardest running conditions without 10* of fluctuation at the very most in running temp. This makes a motor very reliable running a contant temp for wear patterns.
Nice! A bit of overkill is smart and never hurts! What are you going to do about the lines coming out differently then stock...just build it to work?
Old 06-07-2005, 11:48 AM
Supreme Member

I just wanted a good quality replacement that would not cost a fortune. I know we found a replacement thru Autozone for like 150-175...can't remember what Joe said last night when he looked it up on line, or whose it was. The Modine sound like a good deal though.

Yes I wish I could go with the Be cool! Very nice upgrade! We debated on it. Though with everything else I'm planning I don't want to run out of $ before I get it all done! Budgets suck...esp when you have already blown them!

Last edited by redraif; 06-07-2005 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:58 AM
Supreme Member

Here's basically the same type of BeCool setup in my '89 Chev truck. I have had this rad for about 10 years.
I'm sure that is what we will be doing on my 90 chevy dually when we get it back with the new engine! I have always had cooling probs with it! Developed a leak somewhere. Though the thiefs took the old leaky one with the engine and trans, so not my prob anymore. I hope it overheated and fried the motor when they stole it! Heck it tried that with me every other day! Topped of the rad daily! Had a new radiator in the works when the truck got stolen...glad I had not dropped the new one in.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:12 PM
Supreme Member

Upon searching at the wrecking yards for a radiator for my Firebird, I found so many options I was surprised.
In end I got me a direct replacement, made by Modine for $41 dollars.
What I also discovered is IF you have a Camaro YOUR RADIATOR OPTIONS are so much greater!

V6 Firebirds are a one only design.

My car is now working great temprature wise.
By greater options,
Camaro V8 ones are the side tank width wider than the V6 aluminum one for Firebird. In other words Big deal!
Also Camaro ones & V8 Firebirds (be it TPI or Carb set up) can be brass/copper designs.
RTFC, yes, that is a water wonder wizardy you have created!
Perhaps I'll be riding in that F Body creation by end of this month!
Old 06-07-2005, 04:20 PM
Banned

Originally posted by redraif
What are you going to do about the lines coming out differently then stock...just build it to work?
Shannon, look at the picture I posted above and you can see one of the universal 3ft solid stainless steel flexhoses I have attached. They come with adapter rubber inserts included in the kit that will make each hose setup fit the proper inlet and outlet barbs on both the radiator and the motor. The lines are solid yet flexable to bend in the shape and routing you desire so chnaging the side via going to a V8 rad is no problem. Plus the added reliabilty of the stronger solid flex hoses will not burst like rubber radiator hoses can, again they are SS and pretty much bulletproof against leaks.

Karl, you know you are always welcome for a ridealong. I even trust letting you drive it. If you can make it, bring a helmet if you have one. Otherwise, they should be someone there to borrow one from.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:40 PM
Supreme Member

I got me my full face guard cycle helmet all ready!
I just hope you're a better driver than that guy in the Porsche that killed himself & his rider and destroyed his car at the Raceway last week.

AND NO PORSCHE JOKES, cause I have done 360s in a Porsche, too. They can let loose way to easily (as can an old Corvette!). F bodys are so easy to control!
Keep bugging me as I hope for the fun great ride!
Old 06-07-2005, 09:33 PM
Banned

Originally posted by KED85
I got me my full face guard cycle helmet all ready!
I just hope you're a better driver than that guy in the Porsche that killed himself & his rider and destroyed his car at the Raceway last week.

AND NO PORSCHE JOKES, cause I have done 360s in a Porsche, too. They can let loose way to easily (as can an old Corvette!). F bodys are so easy to control!
Keep bugging me as I hope for the fun great ride!
I'm still here, that Porsche driver with too much money and lack of experience isn't. AutoX is very safe, especially in my 165 HP Camaro. Not fast enough to even get close to getting in trouble. Its just exciting to ride in pulling some g's under braking and cornering. Its no racketship. Trying to get ahold of pop to bring the Vette out, however, a brother tells me that he suspects my father clipped a curb with the *** end of the Vette around corner and busted some of the rear suspension and the solid spherical cups on the trailing arms and has not fess up. I haven't heard from him in awhile and he has yet to return my calls???? Its ultimately his car that was given to me years back so I really can't gripe, but I think its an ego thing he doesn't want me to find out.
(Now the world knows)
We will at worst probably knock helmets a few times autoXing, no worries, I promise

Porsche joke- Whats the difference between a Porsche and a Porcupine?

ans: The Porcupine has the ****** on the outside.

Last edited by RTFC; 06-07-2005 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Supreme Member

Those are the best grins I can ask for!
I can definetly use the good ride.
The newspaper article never went into too many details. He probably ended up like that accident we both saw at Tustin Air Force base few years back. New car, low skills. Money don't buy everything, I can tell. Intelligence is one.
I know gymkahanas very well.
Been awhile, but I can still practice on Mullholland! Or Sepulveda pass, or....!
Old 06-07-2005, 10:02 PM
Banned

Originally posted by KED85

The newspaper article never went into too many details. He probably ended up like that accident we both saw at Tustin Air Force base few years back. New car, low skills. Money don't buy everything, I can tell. Intelligence is one.
You must be speaking of the McClaren M6? The 1 of 3 street version CanAm chassis cars that Bruce McClaren ever built and the only one driven and not in a museum until that day.

For thoise who don't know, it was a "charity drive" where wealth people donate big bucks and get to take the car around the track with the owner in the passenger seat ("AT MILD SPEEDS"). She mixed up the pedals and put the million dollar plus car into the first f*cken barrier. Turns out she was also a pre-law student that had just past the BARR exam and sued the crap out of Marconi- Tustin Thunder was no more after that year.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Banned

oppps, sorry Redraif, Just realised we kind of took this post off topic. Check on the cooling board. I know many are going to verious aftermarket vendors there. Lots of pictures and good info. As long as you use the flex hoses I posted, the install will be easy.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:34 PM
Supreme Member

Shannon, look at the picture I posted above and you can see one of the universal 3ft solid stainless steel flexhoses I have attached. They come with adapter rubber inserts included in the kit that will make each hose setup fit the proper inlet and outlet barbs on both the radiator and the motor. The lines are solid yet flexable to bend in the shape and routing you desire so chnaging the side via going to a V8 rad is no problem. Plus the added reliabilty of the stronger solid flex hoses will not burst like rubber radiator hoses can, again they are SS and pretty much bulletproof against leaks.

Karl, you know you are always welcome for a ridealong. I even trust letting you drive it. If you can make it, bring a helmet if you have one. Otherwise, they should be someone there to borrow one from.
I have coolflex hoses...same deal as your hoses... I assumed that was what could be done. Just was not sure how practical the routing would be for our application (ie more trouble then its worth!) My only trouble with coolfles styles is the blasted universal adapter rubber inserts. They are no fun! I hate them. Had more problems with them. Was not ba when we first installed it. But once we had to undo and redo them for a new tranny cooler adn some futher painting...it was heck to get them to seal back. The lower we had to leave off. The blasted thing would not seal for crap! Got so made the stocker went back on. May mess with fixing it when we redo the engine bay paint in gloss with the new suspension in the comming monthes!
Old 06-08-2005, 02:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Didn't Griffin make one for our cars for a bit over $200? Of course I could be going back a few years...
Old 06-09-2005, 10:23 AM
Supreme Member

oppps, sorry Redraif, Just realised we kind of took this post off topic. Check on the cooling board. I know many are going to verious aftermarket vendors there. Lots of pictures and good info. As long as you use the flex hoses I posted, the install will be easy.
Thats ok...it was interesting reading. I was thinking aobut going to the colling boards, but it seems when I have gone to the general sections I get alot of people who don't know the v-6 cars have a different hose set up! I figured here would be the best way to weed out the v-8 only products!
Old 06-09-2005, 10:24 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by TomP
Didn't Griffin make one for our cars for a bit over $200? Of course I could be going back a few years...
i was wondering that myself...had hoped someone here would know if they made a version with the hoses in the right place!
Old 06-09-2005, 10:54 AM
Banned

Everyone can correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the 3.1(90-92) 60*V6 cars have the radiator hoses routed to the same sides as the V8 cars (opposite of the 2.8's). If that is the case Shannon, you can just use later year rubber radiator hoses.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:35 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Can someone post a pic of a 3.1 that shows the hoses? The hose routing is the only difference? If thats the case, I can get a "universal" Griffin here locally for about the same price as a stock radiator...and it will be aluminum!
Old 06-09-2005, 11:58 AM
Supreme Member

If that is so....would my current coolflex work up top? What about the upper radiator hose neck on the engine. Turned to face the passenger side.

Does the 3.1 use a different one?

And the lower hose neck on the water pump.

Its definatly on the far drivers side this would require a longer hose spanning the length of the radiator. I would think this would just be a messier set up.

How does the 3.1 deal with this? The 3.4 uses the same water pump, so I can't see how they used reversed radiator outlets
Old 06-09-2005, 12:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
I thought all 87-92's had the same radiator and radiator hose routing? I thought it was just the 84-86 guys (like me) with the lower hose on the driver's side and the upper hose on the passenger side.

HOLY COW!

Well since I'm a nice guy, I dug up Griffin's website http://www.griffinrad.com and did the parts # lookup and priced it at Summit Racing...

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...%2D282AE%2DBAX

I guess I was thinking about the price for a universal rad then?

Last edited by TomP; 06-09-2005 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
its just a really long lower hose.

i'll take a pic tonight.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:36 PM
Supreme Member

heres the pics of the lower radiator hose as promised... this is the stock hose on the 92 camaro i just got.
Attached Thumbnails Radiator plastic tank blew...replacement options?-im000391.jpg  

Last edited by MrDude_1; 06-10-2005 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:36 PM
Supreme Member

another one
Attached Thumbnails Radiator plastic tank blew...replacement options?-im000390.jpg  
Old 06-10-2005, 12:42 PM
Supreme Member

last one
Attached Thumbnails Radiator plastic tank blew...replacement options?-im000389.jpg  
Old 06-10-2005, 12:46 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks Mr Dude! That helps alot!

Though I now see it is possible with stock hoses....I just can't bring myself to run a lower hose that long. I want to simplify the engine bay...make it cleaner looking....that is not going to do it!
Old 06-10-2005, 01:06 PM
Supreme Member

as long as you have that hose hanger at the bottom, its not that bad... i had to stick the camera in there for thoes shots.....

when you're looking at the car, you cant see the hose running along the bottom since the radiator is tipped, and the fan covers it... for the most part, it looks like it just goes straight back from the side.

and using a conventional GM radiator wouldnt be a bad idea.....
Old 06-10-2005, 01:16 PM
Supreme Member

I just found an inexpensive, yet high quality solution to the whole radiator problem...I'm sure someone will post pics later, she hasn't seen it yet!
Old 06-13-2005, 11:27 AM
Supreme Member

Well I took a look and I think the Griffin universal rad is just a smidge too big (189.00). We have to pull mine and give it a go. I think it will be the rad cap that is going to be the prob. See ours is recessed and angled the clear the hood. This one stills right a top the top of the tank. I don't think it will clear, but we will give it a go! Other wise I will get the Modine! Will post up our findings!
Old 06-15-2005, 02:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1986 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
Engine: 305 Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: The famous 700R4
Axle/Gears: No idea
Why replacement?.

I used "liquid steel" and fixed a plastic GM radiator. Only around $ 4.00.

Denis V.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:16 PM
Supreme Member

The crack is HUGE, I wouldn't trust it...better to spend the money now rather than have to pay for towing and a new radiator while on a road trip to a car show or something...the 'nats are coming up soon, and Dayton, Oh is a long way from home!
Old 06-15-2005, 03:26 PM
Banned

The BeCool fits like a glove. Here's where I am at so far.
Attached Thumbnails Radiator plastic tank blew...replacement options?-1a.jpg  
Old 06-15-2005, 04:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1986 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
Engine: 305 Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: The famous 700R4
Axle/Gears: No idea
No problem. My crack fixed was huge too. previous owner crushed a bus on rear side. He didn't use the bumper, he used the headlamps, AC condenser, radiator and hood against the bus.

I fixed it cutting a metal piece from an old Cherokee fender curved as necessary in order to fix the hole 12 x 6 cms. (5" x 2.5").

But, I agree: Payment for towing + a new radiator is a permanent risk.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:38 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.70 posi
Redraif if you can wait for about another week, I have a V6 radiator that I took out of my Firebird when I put the LT1 in it that you can have. I will be heading down to below Macon on the 24th to goto a wedding and will be driving right by the Jonesboro exit.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:56 PM
Supreme Member

So I ordered the Modine today....be here 2 morrow... $138 plus tax I believe... came to 140 something!

The BeCool fits like a glove. Here's where I am at so far.
I know it did! Looks SWEET in there! But for me the hose routing is a serious detriment, as well as the $ at the moment. Would rather get some other performance stuff done first! The Modine will do the job!

Originally posted by Klortho
Redraif if you can wait for about another week, I have a V6 radiator that I took out of my Firebird when I put the LT1 in it that you can have. I will be heading down to below Macon on the 24th to goto a wedding and will be driving right by the Jonesboro exit.
I appreciate the offer, but I have to have the car running by Sat. The back up car is leaving (deceased stepdads truck...his kids from NY are coming to get it).

But on the other hand, if you are just giving it away...a spare is always a good thing! Never know what I might need it for! Was eyeballing a v-6 bird as a driver a while back... that was pre fiero!
Old 06-16-2005, 12:10 AM
Banned

Car: 1987 camaro & 70 mustang
Engine: 2.8l & built 351C
Transmission: borg warner T-5
hey rtfc, how much is that be cool? mine keeps overheating on me, and it is time for a new one!
Old 06-16-2005, 01:28 AM
Banned

I bought the entire BeCool 700HP fan/radiator modular kit. It comes with all the goodies for mounting the dual fans, billet catchcan, billet cap, relays for both fans, auxillary temp unit, auto trans fittings They retail for about $1150 Through Summit racing.
The solid stainless steel flex hoses run about $100 each for the polished ones. Its finished and tested already. works like a charm. The car sounds like an airplane when idling and only one fan running.

It maintained a contant 180* idling in the driveway with the A/C running for 20 mins with only one fan having to cycle on and off. This thing will handle 100*+ weather with A/C on and keep the motor below 195* always in the worst case senerio, I am certain of that.

The radiator alone for an Automatic trans application retails for about $650

Joe and Shannon, Here's how I ran the upper hose. It rests atop the fan assembly lendge giving support soi it does not fatigue from bouncing over time and loosen the coupler slipfits.
Attached Thumbnails Radiator plastic tank blew...replacement options?-1z.jpg  

Last edited by RTFC; 06-16-2005 at 01:31 AM.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:46 AM
Supreme Member

I'm more curious about the stress on the lower hose pulling loose...esp from the water pump!
Old 06-16-2005, 12:06 PM
Banned

rftc, where can i get one?
Old 06-16-2005, 12:48 PM
Supreme Member

How you solve that is by securing radiator, lubing the outlet of radiator using motor oil, place film of same oil inside the hose, slip it on & make the seal right & proper feeling.
Then secure using the strap/support on the car. Your car does have that hose strap/support?
The oil "burns off" by heated hoses thus hose not moving plus you have that screw clamp, of course.
I screwed up once down on that hose, it slipped off & cost me my 2.8.
Your concern is well thought out.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:58 PM
Banned

Ya know Blueracer, for a guy that supposedly has an 8sec Mustang and is really into building motors, A person would tend to think you'd have a clue about ordering parts.

Besides, I have said twice in this post already.......Summit Racing.

Shannon, the lower radiator hose that hooks to the waterpump feeds the motor. Thus the eater is pulled into the waterpump from the hose. It will not blow off, on the contray it will pull it on via suction.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:11 PM
Supreme Member

Ya know Blueracer, for a guy that supposedly has an 8sec Mustang and is really into building motors, A person would tend to think you'd have a clue about ordering parts.

Besides, I have said twice in this post already.......Summit Racing.

Shannon, the lower radiator hose that hooks to the waterpump feeds the motor. Thus the eater is pulled into the waterpump from the hose. It will not blow off, on the contray it will pull it on via suction.
We had issues with the lower Coolflex hose, between the angle of the hose, slipping adapters for the V6 radiator, and the shortness of the radiator connection. I don't think most aftermarket radiators (or even stock V8 radiators) would have as much trouble. Personally, my biggest complaint against them was the clamps...we'll probably get some of the Pi-thon Products clamps next time, they look like they would make a more positive seal and look better, too.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:19 AM
Banned

rftc, i thought that that is where you said that you got it, but i couldn't find it in the thread, i was quite tired yesterday, and i wasn't really thinking straight, now here is one for you, theese cars(CAMAROs) are completely new to me, i have been working on mustangs my entire life. if i want or need something, i go down to smith's speed shop in newport, tell ryan what i want, and he orders it! i am not home, and i don't even know where the local speed shop is down here. i really wish that i did, but i don't(know where the speed shop is)
Old 06-20-2005, 12:32 PM
Supreme Member

My lower hose worked its way loose about a 2-3 miles from home. Had been on there secure for a year, so go figure! But is was late at night in the dead of winter! COuld not reach anyone to bring water or coolant. So I'm out there in the cold laying across the motor trying to put the lower hose back on the rad with no jack in the dark! Finally I got a hold of mom to bring some water so I could limp home. She did. I got it back on only to have it come off again a mile late backtowards the house. Pulled into Eckerd. Lucky I knew the girl at the photo depart. They were just locking up, but she let me in to get some water! After finght for a while I found the prob. The decorative cover caps on the ends did not allow the hose clamp to open wide enough for the rubber to expand and slip over the neck with rubber spacer! once O remove cover all was good!
Old 06-20-2005, 06:32 PM
Banned

Coolflex hoses are Copper, Mine are Stainless steel polished flex hoses not copper that is chromed.

The copper is softer and will give.

Also you need to sand the hose edges so that thee rubber grips onto the hose and does not slip off.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:59 PM
Supreme Member

WEll it was the rubber to rubber that was the problem. Since the rad neck was smaller then the standard coupler hose I had to insert one of the adapters to make the neck effectively larger. The slipping of one rubber neck into the other and getting it to seat right was always a problem. Again I feel the fault lie with the cover not allowing full expansion of the hose to fit over the other rubber neck insert. So that is why I removed the cover and got it to hold! But I still had some leaks. So I went back to the stock bottom hose. MAybe with the repaint I will find a better way to make the lower coolflex work! Paid too much to have it in a box!

I ended up with the 140.00 modine, though for my application it only came with the plastic side tanks!

I had them call modine to be sure. They did. IN fact they even went so far as to call the parts manager of Napa to see if anyone made a copper brass with solid metal side tanks. Found some no name company that did, but said they had all kind of leak issues with them and the rad did not come with a warrenty. The modine carries a lifetime warrenty!

Quick Reply: Radiator plastic tank blew...replacement options?