V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

"check engine soon" light

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 3.1
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: stock, dynomax turbo exhaust
"check engine soon" light

Hey guys yesterday I was driving when I noticed smoke coming out the hood, I took it to my mechanic and it was the head gaskets that were leaking oil, I had him replace them, but now I'm getting the "Check engine soon" light that comes on and stays on, I havn't had a chance to take it back to him but what could it be? The light was not on until the head gaskets were replaced, do any of you guys know what it can be? Thank you.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 156 Likes on 145 Posts
Car: 89' Firebird
Engine: 3.4L V-6
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: Whatever came stock!
Re: "check engine soon" light

Could be something he forgot to hook back up. Try looking for a loose or broken wire, especially by the back of the engine. Does it come on right away when you start thr car? Or does it come on after a bit of driving??
Old 09-28-2007, 08:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro RS
Engine: 2.8L of Raw POWER!!!
Transmission: Stick Shift
Axle/Gears: 3.42's
Re: "check engine soon" light

Are you sure it was head gaskets that were replaced and not valve cover gaskets? THe reason I ask is that most shops have more than a 1 night turn around on a head R&R. Most are 2-3 days. Valve covers are more likly to be leaking causing smoke too. They leak down right onto the exhaust manifold, the head gaskets leak below the exhaust so it's much less likely to smoke.

Depending on which one was actually done, it could be any num,ber of things...off the top of my head...ECT, MAP, TPS, IAC, ESC connector, any number of vacuum lines, EGR...

Thta's why it's impprtant for us to know exactly what was done. YOu can try pulling the codes and then looking that up to get an idea of where to look.