V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Buying A Camaro (first one)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Firebird Formula
Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
Transmission: THM-700R4
Axle/Gears: GM 10 Bolt
Buying A Camaro (first one)

Hey guys i am buying a 92 red v6 camaro with a 700r4 it will be the first time i ever owned anythign less then a v8 lol but i am buyin ti as a DD gonan doa repaint my self and fixer her up a lil she has a flowmaster setup that will come of and go on my firebird lol a v6 dont neeed it IMO lol the V8 deserves it more lol. its been garge kept and is in very good condtion so a quick paint will be easy enough not havein to fix any rust lol what else lol its got a nice rear with 411 gears but i need it as a DD lol so i am sawpign rears with a friend of mine for his sexy z28 and i will use his stock rear in mine an he can have the better one lol o yeah it has no inteor it all comes with that care in good condtion he guted it IDK why lol but its all in great shape it has the B&M megashifter in it for the console so that all gonan go back in it does have one big crack in the windshield bu i will get a nice one at the junk yard if i can or maybe my frined has an extra. what can you all that own a v6 out there on hwo they drive and handle i have only had my firebird with is my love but i will love haveing both F-bodys sitting in my parking spaces lol it will tell all them honduh ownwes in my APTs to go to hell LMAO jk and and also what kinda things could i do get a lil more fell from the motor i want to keep it the v6 tho till gas comes down IF it does that is lol. I am gonan make a CAI for it as i knwo they dont sell ones deff gonna seafoam her and then take the tranny in and flush and seafoam the tranny to to get her all good and going in top. i am gonan put my stock catback on it form my fomula and put the flowmaster on my fromula were it belongs lol

O yeah i will get pics as soon as i can.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:16 AM

Car: '89 IROC-Z
Engine: LSx
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: Buying A Camaro (first one)

Sounds like a good car. How many miles on it? I own a 305 and a 2.8, and I like my v6 alot more. You will have the 3.1 which is a 2.8 with a diff crank. If you want a CAI go with dual snorkel intake from a 85-90 v6 and there is a factory CAI, I just dont know if there something else involved because you have MAP, and earlier models had MAF. My v6 has a better turning radius than my 8, it rides smoother(1/2 the mileage, not as stiff), if I keep my foot out of it I can get mid/upper 20's for gas mileage. As for performance parts you might be surprised how many parts for these cars there are. But start with a cam/lifters, call delta cams and ask them about there 260 grind it will run you about 100 bucks and is a highly recommended cam. Or check out SummitRacing, there just expensive. Do some port work, let her breathe. There is alot of little things, or you can spend 4-600 bucks on a turbo kit and install it yourself, or get a turbo kit from Project89, stage 1 is $1500 and is complete bolt-on, and apparently he has confirmed 250hp with his kit on a bone stock motor. Just peek around the forums and read around you will get some ideas. I think your making a good decision, these little 60 degree v6's are a reliable all around motor.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:39 PM

Wow didnt know that lol i am deff gettign this for my DD as it will be better on gas and will give me time to tare down my fromula and get here worked on she i my baby but i do have a few plans fo this and stuff. my formula has a 305 as well but TBI witch is fun i am building a motor right now as a temp for the next 4 years well i do all the things i wnat so i can at least drive her around durning thr summer
Old 08-05-2008, 05:41 PM

Car: '89 IROC-Z
Engine: LSx
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Yeah you should deff grab that before somebody else jumps on that. A few years ago I didnt know V6 3rd gens existed, now I see more than 8's.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '85 maro
Engine: In the works...
Transmission: TH700 R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi

Did I see that right? You're putting seafoam through your trans? At work I don't even put trans flush in when I do a fluid change! The only thing that should go in your trans is trans fluid. Have a shop with a BG machine do a flush for you.

As far as handling this is an area where v6's seem to shine. Even with a few basic bolt-ons it really is impressive how well these cars will handle. And power potential is there. Read up on the hybrid engine swaps and such.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:57 AM

No they now sell sea foam for yout tranny i saw it a few weeks ago and i figer if its anythign as good as the reg stuff then it woudl be awsoem to clean the tranny lol