V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Rough Idle and Code 44

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 2.8L V6
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Rough Idle and Code 44

Greetings! I am getting a Code 44 when I am stopped at a light for more than a minute. It only occurs during an idle after the engine has warmed up and is running in closed loop. The MAF was causing the engine to surge and run really rough so I was hoping that replacing that would fix the code 44. The new MAF fixed the poor running, but I still get a code 44 at idle. The RPM's creep way down for a few seconds and then revs back up to smooth and throws the code. After this, the engine runs with less power until I shut it off and the code disappears until next time. I have hooked up a fuel pressure gauge and although it fluctuates by 5 psi when I'm really driving hard, it stays constant during idle even though the RPM's start to bog. Any ideas?
Old 08-03-2009, 12:32 PM

Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 Vortec TPI LT4 Hotcam
Transmission: TH700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Rough Idle and Code 44

code 44 for a 2.8L V6 is a bad o2 sensor, to confirm this is bad i would start the car and let it warm up and when it reaches normal operating temperature, walk around back and smell the exhaust, if it smells like rotten eggs or has a sulfur smell your o2 sensor is def. bad. Other than that, the rough idle at a red light sounds like your egr valve might be stuck open, you should have no egr at idle, and if you do it can really mess things up, if you can take it off and spray some carb cleaner into it and if that doesnt help it might be time for a new one. Goodluck!
Old 08-03-2009, 01:45 PM

That'll be something to try. This car has sat up for 4 years and I have been replacing things left & right since it has been back on the road. I don't mind because they have been $100-a-pop type items. It has NEVER had the EGR replaced, so I will try that. The O2 sensor was replaced right before it was stored but for only $30, I can try it as well. I'll do them one at a time and post the results.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:11 PM

Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 Vortec TPI LT4 Hotcam
Transmission: TH700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Originally Posted by RandogLeader
That'll be something to try. This car has sat up for 4 years and I have been replacing things left & right since it has been back on the road. I don't mind because they have been $100-a-pop type items. It has NEVER had the EGR replaced, so I will try that. The O2 sensor was replaced right before it was stored but for only $30, I can try it as well. I'll do them one at a time and post the results.
Yeah ik where your coming from. my car sat for 3 years and i was doing the same thing, replacing parts left and right, but ive had 2 egr valves on since i got it, and i had to replace the o2 sensor, they just go bad out of nowhere sometimes....but yeah let me know how it goes, the o2 sensor can be a bitch tho, my was rusted into my exhaust and we almost couldnt get it out, its a downstream sensor and i think its right after the y-pipe.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:28 PM

Car: IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

RandogLeader,

Did you manage to fix your problem? If so what was the fix?

After replacing the missing thermostat in my 90 350TPI, I am getting exactly the same symptoms as you.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Rockstar!
Old 10-10-2009, 08:53 PM

Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 2.8L out of a 89 camaro
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: ?

did you reset the computer after installing the new maf?
Old 10-11-2009, 08:29 AM

Yeah, computer has been reset. Funny thing is that she drives like a scalded dog when I first take off in the morning. After she warms up really well, the performance goes down and she drives very "sluggish". The code 44 comes and goes, and the worst is when you drive for about 30 minutes or more and then shut it off (to go into the store or something) when you fire it back up and take off, it is VERY hesitant even though the SES light isn't even on. There is some issue involving heat because it will run awesome again after it has cooled off completly. I'm suspecting the EGR valve to be involved but haven't had enough bread to get one as of yet. There's a bad front tire that keeps growling at me to be replaced first. Any ideas?
Old 10-11-2009, 09:08 AM

Car: Firebird
Engine: 2.8 v/6
Transmission: t/5
Axle/Gears: open/3.42

I was having this problem recently and I had an exhaust leak giving me the code 44 " lean exhaust " . If you have an exhaust leak befor the sensor that could be your problem .
Old 10-11-2009, 07:07 PM

How did you know that you had a leak? Was there exhaust gas showing around the manifold joints because I don't see any smoke when I rev the engine and look around the manifolds/y-pipe.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Funny thing is that she drives like a scalded dog when I first take off in the morning. After she warms up really well, the performance goes down and she drives very "sluggish"....
Disconnect your O2 sensor, and see how she feels after being warmed up....
Old 10-12-2009, 08:01 AM

Car: Firebird
Engine: 2.8 v/6
Transmission: t/5
Axle/Gears: open/3.42

How did you know that you had a leak? Was there exhaust gas showing around the manifold joints because I don't see any smoke when I rev the engine and look around the manifolds/y-pipe.
My passenger side flange was leaking because of a broken stud so I made up a rig to tighten it without using tie wire or a coat hanger until I can pull the manifold off and replace the stud .
Old 02-11-2016, 12:42 PM

Hello everyone. Ok well kinda new here. Been here before years ago and now I am making my triumphant return.

1986 Firebird S/E V6 2.8

Just recently I've developed a engine stutter at normal operation. Temp and driving. Feels like miss fire. Being a tech I decided to look into plugs and wires. Done about 5 years ago with cheap car quest parts. I know. I was cheap those years. Decided to give it a full tune up. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor. Sadly the bus fire is still there when you get on it under load. Fine while sitting idle in park. In gear, parked she has a rough idle. With the new parts the Miss fire is still there. Been reading what most of you all have posted. Is the O2 sensor really the cause of this code 44? All together I have codes 12-32-42-44. Any input would be great. The car is turning 30 this year and with the five years of ownership all I've done is a set of head gaskets and an alternator. Past month I've put over 400 into her. Anyways, any input would be awesome. Thanks!