V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Car starting problems! Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 01 Town Car. 91 firebird
Engine: 4.6 on the Lincoln 5.0 on my Bird
Transmission: at/mt
Axle/Gears: stock
Car starting problems! Please help!

Hi all, I am still sort of a rooky when it comes to cars but I am learning. I have picked up a 1991 firebird with a little V6 in it and I can t get the car to start. When I first got it the guy said that the engine is rebuilt but the fuel pump went out and I knew it couldn’t be just that but talking the guy down from 600 bucks to 100, I couldn’t resist buying it. When I first got the car to my house I tried to start it just to see what would happen, the engine tries to fire up no problem and sounds strong, their was fuel in the lines just no pressure. I changed the pump and figured I might as well change what I can on the car while I had the cash to do it.

New:
Spark plugs
Rotor coil
Plug Wires
Fuel filter
Fuel Pump
Fuel injectors

After all that the car still wont start and I am being told it might be the ECU. Now when I bleed the fuel line from that valve behind the air intake manifold it spits a bit of air but that’s it so I know it’s a fuel related problem or at least I think it is. So again I am a bit of a newb when it comes to the tech stuff but please help me! I am sure I can work my way around the car. I got my childhood dream car in my hands; help me get it to be my dream ride?
Old 05-19-2010, 06:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS 25th Anniversary
Engine: 3.4L v6 with a t3/t4 Turbo
Transmission: T-5 Conversion
Axle/Gears: 3.23 SLP Limited Slip
Re: Car starting problems! Please help!

with a new pump it should be shooting fuel way into the air when you press the valve(dont stand over top of it lol) i had to turn my car on and off and press that valve a few times to bleed all the air out. after i did that it shot to the garage celling then started right up. if your just getting air out of that valve something isnt right
Old 05-19-2010, 07:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41

If you know how to check for trouble codes, check for a code 46, which means a security system malfunction, and your car won't start until it's taken care of.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Pillsbry10
with a new pump it should be shooting fuel way into the air when you press the valve(dont stand over top of it lol) i had to turn my car on and off and press that valve a few times to bleed all the air out. after i did that it shot to the garage celling then started right up. if your just getting air out of that valve something isnt right
Wow! It shot that high up?!? holy smokes! Well I am still looking into a few things and Im being pointed in the direction that the ecu or chip isnt good. Im still waiting for my gf's dad to let me borrow his code/scanner tool.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Maverick H1L
If you know how to check for trouble codes, check for a code 46, which means a security system malfunction, and your car won't start until it's taken care of.
Im waiting for my gf's dad to let me borrow his code/scanner tool. I really hope that 46 code pops up. Thank you so much for that, I would of never of thought of that
Old 05-20-2010, 08:09 PM
Supreme Member

You don't need a code scanner for that. Just stick a piece of wire or a paper clip in the 12-pin connector located just to the left of the radio pod (the one that has a cover over the front of it and is facing the driver). The wire or clip needs to be put into the 2 holes in the top right corner, the one right in the corner and the one just to the left of it.

IF code 46 pops up, you may have a heck of a time tracing it as the security wiring is in the main harness bundle that runs along the bottom of the dash. And, of course, this could mean that either the wiring is broken or a terminal has pulled out of its connector somehow. Also, check the resistance of the key pellet against the metal of the key. It may be that someone bypassed the starter enable relay to enable cranking for some reason and the security system is not working right because of an incorrect key resistance.

Also, we can't rule out a fuel related issue. You'll need to buy, beg,, borrow, or steal a fuel pressure gauge to test the fuel pressure as well.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:31 PM

Ok so It has been a while since I got a my firebird. I still have yet to get the car started but now I know what is wrong. Their is no compression and the timing chain went out on it. So now I have talk to a few of my buddies and my girlfriends Dad (the car is at his shop) what I should do and most have just said why not just go for the gusto and rebuild the engine. So that's what I will do but where can I get a good deal on a rebuild kit? I have looked at getting a Donner engine but I cant find any in my area. Any suggestions? Thoughts?
Old 07-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Supreme Member

I'd look on eBay for a rebuild kit. You can find them on there cheap, sometimes. Most of the time, the kits are just about the same price anywhere you look. You don't HAVE to rebuild the engine if it's turning over, but I'd check the valves and such to make sure nothing's broken before going all out and shelling out the cash for the rebuild kit (which generally doesn't include valves and associated parts). If nothing in the top end is damaged (shouldn't be with our engines being non-interference), I'd put a timing chain in and see what happens (chain does come with rebuild kit). If the engine runs, well, then I would go from there.

Oh, and FYI, without compression, the engine will generally make a higher-pitched noise during cranking than when it has compression and is ready to run, and you'll know the difference.

Question is, if the engine WAS rebuilt, WTF happened to the timing chain so quickly?
Old 07-16-2010, 06:16 PM

I'd look on eBay for a rebuild kit. You can find them on there cheap, sometimes. Most of the time, the kits are just about the same price anywhere you look. You don't HAVE to rebuild the engine if it's turning over, but I'd check the valves and such to make sure nothing's broken before going all out and shelling out the cash for the rebuild kit (which generally doesn't include valves and associated parts). If nothing in the top end is damaged (shouldn't be with our engines being non-interference), I'd put a timing chain in and see what happens (chain does come with rebuild kit). If the engine runs, well, then I would go from there.

Oh, and FYI, without compression, the engine will generally make a higher-pitched noise during cranking than when it has compression and is ready to run, and you'll know the difference.

Question is, if the engine WAS rebuilt, WTF happened to the timing chain so quickly?

That was my question when My future Father in law told me. The guy I got the car from seemed shady anyways. But again, for a 100 bucks, There was no way I could pass that up. I am about to head over to the shop right now and see if I can dig around the car and see if their is anything busted in the engine, thank you for that suggestion, I am still a newb but I am trying lol I will go over all possible options with him and deiced what the best move is for me. I'd love to get this car on streets and start having my fun with it lol. I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel. I am about to hit eBay right now see what I can dig up
Old 07-16-2010, 06:31 PM
Supreme Member

Reminds me of the PO of my car. The 2.8 was supposedly "rebuilt" 10K before it went out. Well, either he never rebuilt it or he never changed the oil after he rebuilt it, because there was a good amount of caked on oil sludge in the lifter valley when the engine blew.

Get a $30 tming chain first and see what happens from there. If you need a rebuild kit, well, you'll have a spare chain . Use a lever of some sort to press down on each valve to make sure it moves.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:12 PM

Car: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro
Engine: 2.8L V6 soon to be 3.4
Transmission: 700R4 soon to be WC t5

Reminds me of the PO of my car. The 2.8 was supposedly "rebuilt" 10K before it went out. Well, either he never rebuilt it or he never changed the oil after he rebuilt it, because there was a good amount of caked on oil sludge in the lifter valley when the engine blew.
Is there anyway to clean that? I was replacing the injectors, and said what they hey, lemme take off those covers, and what do I find? The sludgiest goddamn lifter valley I have EVER seen in my life.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:58 AM

Car: 1987 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: t5
Axle/Gears: not low enough

I would put the timing chain on it and see if it will run first before I worried about cleaning it up cause really if the motor's no good and you rebuild the machine shop will clean the engine block out for you.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:18 PM

Ok so I had some spare time to finally get to work on the car, I am at the timing chain and the bottom sprocket, the one on the crankshaft, I can't get it to move at all, how can I get this little thing off?
Old 07-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Supreme Member

Gear puller...
Old 07-29-2010, 10:28 AM

Got it off. My next door neighbor herd me grunting last night and gave me a few of his tools to get it off. Now when I get home from work I'll be it back together.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:06 PM

Ok so it has been such a long time since I have been on here. I am proud to say I have learned quite a bit and have become quite the handy man. I bought all the books I could find about the car, reviewed many websites and "how to" books. As I have been working and going to school, everyday I come home I go straight to the car. I finally got it to start to only hear something blow up and then nothing happened. Considering that the wiring was all messed up and I didnt want to go through that, I got mad and said screw this I am going to look for another one. And just my luck I found another firebird!
I picked up another 91 but this one has a 305 with a 5 speed. Guy wanted 2 grand for it but there was a lot of body damage to the right side door and fender. I offered him 1100 and he went for it, drove the car home and started taking parts from the first one. Lucky me they we're both black, so after a few weeks of taking parts off, my new to me firebird is almost done! Most of the work went off without a hitch! Though a lot of drama, blood, sweat, and tears went into it but now I can now say I have and can drive a firebird around. I love it! Considering it only had 118,000 real miles on it, I think I got a great deal! Soon I'll post some pictures of it. Boy does this feel good