V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

vac line missing by brake cable, and underhood light connector?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 06:43 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1996 Camaro, 1985 Camaro
Engine: 3.8, 3.4
Transmission: WC T5, 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23(?), 3.42
vac line missing by brake cable, and underhood light connector?

There is a cylindrical housing on the firewall near the brake booster, that has what could only be the brake cable for the brake pedal going into it, below that I noticed what appears to be a nozzle for a vacuum line, can anyone confirm this and tell me where it goes if so?

Also I removed my underhood light a while back, and can't just want to be sure that that is what I unplugged the other day, it has a cone shaped plug with a little metal disk in it and is grounded to the fender right? Just want to be sure of what I'm removing...getting some uneeded clutter out of the engine bay.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41
Re: vac line missing by brake cable, and underhood light connector?

That housing with the cable is either the throttle cable or it's your speedometer cable. There is no cable in between the brake pedal and the brake booster or master cylinder. There cannot be, according to FMVSS standards (Fed motor vehicle safety standards). There is no nozzle for a vac line on the firewall anywhere. The cruise control and HVAC vacuum systems both run lines straight through grommets in between the passenger compartment and the engine compartment. If it's for the cruise, which I'm sure it is (since the HVAC line goes through a grommet underneath the A/C heater box assembly), one will be a bit larger than the largest diameter vac line on the engine (excluding the brake booster hose).

Don't know about the light... May need to ask on the Electronics board if you haven't already. AFAIK, all the wiring is on the passenger's side, though.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: vac line missing by brake cable, and underhood light connector?

if your car was orignally a 5 speed manual, you sound like you are describing the clutch master cylinder which is below the brake booster and has a fluid line coming out of it. perhaps if you could send a pic, it might help.