V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Where are my flashers located?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2001, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where are my flashers located?

I was told they'd be in the fuse box, but I'm starting to think that's a V-8 specific thing. (seems like a weird thing to change), cause the only thing in my fuse box is fuses. Can anyone help?

-Reno
Old 02-05-2001, 12:15 AM

Car: 1988 Formula now a T/A
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700r4
Take off the drivers side underdash panel, there is a fold down compartment (called the convenience center in the chilton manual)that is behind where the aldl connector is (the plug you get trouble codes from) the flashers are in the compartment. there are two tabs you press in which allows you two fold the bottom of the compartment down. In my car (86 Firebird) only the hazard flasher was in the compartment, the turn signal flasher was tucked away on the side of the compartment held up by a metal clip. If you can't easily locate the turn flasher turn on your blinkers the sound will help you locate it easier. good luck!
Old 02-05-2001, 10:07 AM

Oh man, I hate having to drop that whole panel, I'm a little tall, so the only way I can get down there is to lay my seat flat, stick my feet up in the air over the back seat and my head down in there all upside-down like. Ah well, thanks for the info, I'll have to get on that one sometime when I have the money. Thanks!!

-Reno
Old 02-05-2001, 12:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
College is killing ya, eh? Blinker cans are only $3 or so. Yeah, my blinker one was also just "hanging around" near the convenience center. I was surprised that it wasn't somewhere permanent. Almost like GM said "Oh crap! We forgot blinkers! Just tie it up somewhere on the harness."

I actually like that position (head under dash, feet over backrest)- it's pretty comfy. Of course getting out of that position's a pain...

------------------
-Tom P (Hot rodded 1986 Firebird 2.8l) from http://www.f-body.net/mailbag/3rd/3rd_mailbag.html message boards
---Think your car could be pic of the week? Visit http://www.f-body.net for details!
Old 02-05-2001, 02:45 PM

I'm stepping up to electronic flashers, I was told they'd have a constant speed (my canister ones are dog slow with the underdrive pulleys), and I was also told they're like $8, so I figure 2 or 4 of them (haven't looked yet, 'bird is parked 5 blocks away), and it adds up. Thanks for the pointer though!

-Reno
Old 02-05-2001, 03:23 PM
Supreme Member

Oh, okay. Why 2 or 4? Do you need one on each set of lights that blinks? That sucks. Let us know how it goes!

------------------
-Tom P (Hot rodded 1986 Firebird 2.8l) from http://www.f-body.net/mailbag/3rd/3rd_mailbag.html message boards
---Think your car could be pic of the week? Visit http://www.f-body.net for details!
Old 02-05-2001, 04:59 PM

I didn't know how many I'd need. First of all, your blinkers are not in the convenience center, which, interestingly, is the most inconvenient thing I've found on our cars thus far!!! You pull the thing down, and can't even reach the flashers, so you mess with it (upside down the whole time, blood rushing to your head, saliva overflowing down your cheek from the flashlight you're holding in your teeth) and pull the flasher (which is only for the emergency flashers, not your regular blinkers), and realize, YOU'LL NEVER GET IT BACK IN!!!! I removed the panel itself, only 2 screws, made it much easier.

Anyway, the blinkers still worked, slow as ever, so I followed the clicking. TomP NAILED it saying they almost forgot to put them on altogether. The turn signal flasher is wedged in to a little spring clip ABOVE your ALDL panel, and just has a short little harness going to it. You'll never see it, just turn your blinkers on and feel for it. I was just doing all this to make sure I knew where it was, but after all the PITA of finding it, I said screw it, and swapped the emergency flasher in, since I noticed it blinks faster. Sure enough, solved my blinking problem, but now my emergency flashers are dim and slow. Oh well.

Afterwards though, I got that little high of having done something beneficial for my car, and putting it all back together I was very careful so it looks good, and in the end, it's always fun. Sick bastards are we!

-Reno
Old 02-06-2001, 09:32 AM
Supreme Member

Reno, thanks for the info, and congrats on the fix. My blinkers get slow at odd times; maybe I just need a new flasher can. I think I have a few kicking around in the basement from junkyards

Maybe I should hunt down that clip from a junkyard, too. I'm missing it.

------------------