V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Need help replacing fuel injectors 85 camaro V6

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: stock
Need help replacing fuel injectors 85 camaro V6

So i just found out why my Camaro was turn off when i would put it on drive or reverse it was because i have 3 bad fuel injectors 3,5,6 were bad so i need help on how to replace them and install them i never done this before thanks
Old 04-14-2011, 08:11 AM

Re: Need help replacing fuel injectors 85 camaro V6

If you search the V6 section you will probably find the help you’re looking for. I can’t imagine it being too difficult if you take your time. Hopefully someone that has done this job will chime in or PM you with some helpful information. Good luck with your project. Sorry I couldn’t be more help.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 rs, 86 Trans Am
Engine: RS-V6... Trans Am-LG4
Transmission: RS-T5... Trans Am 700r4

Take off your upper and lower intake and they are literally right there. Not a big job
Old 04-14-2011, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 3.1 V6
Transmission: Automatic

I just put 6 in mine.
#1: Remove negative battery cable.

#2: Take everything loose from upper intake plenum.
Air inlet duct from throttle body, AV cables from throttle body, leave throttle body bolted to upper inteke plenum! Gasket has to be ordered otherwise.

#2: Take the upper intake Plenum off. That will give you access to the fuel rail.

#3: Releave fuel pressure at shradder valve. Has a black cover screwed on it at back of fuel rail. Looks like a tire valve. Don't get gas in your eyes. LOL

#4: Remove the two fuel lines with a line wrench, not a standard open end wrench. Line nut heads will strip. Remove vacuum line at pressure regulator.

#5: Remove two bolts that hold down fuel rail, remove one bolt that holds throttle cable on.

#6: Remove wire harness from fuel injectors. Look at the shiny metal clip on top of each connector. Squeeze it a certain way to release harness.

#7: Take OHM meter and check fuel injectors between pins. Should be around 11.9ohms. If not then they are bad or going bad. If you change one you should change all. Acceptable = 9 - 13 ohm.

#8: Pull up on fuel rail wiggling it back and forth untill fuel injectors start coming out of middle intake plenum. If they been in for a while you might have a hard time getting the fuel rail off. Be carefull not to break small clip holding each fuel injector into fuel rail. They have to be ordered too. Doesn't come with fuel injector.

#9: Once fuel rail is out dump fuel out of it, turn it over and turn the clip(s) that holds fuel injector's half way to remove fuel injector.

#10: Place lubricate on new fuel injector o-ring's (both ends) and reassemble fuel rail. Tilt rail assembly to install injector rail into intake plenum.

#11: Replace o-rings on fuel lines. Make sure you use Fuel Quality O-rings. Should be orange, not black. Don't forget to lubricate them small amount.

#12: Tighten plenum bolts 18ft lb, Fuel line nuts 20ft lb, Fuel rail bolts 18ft lb.

#13: Reasmeble everything else and your done. Don't forget to check for leaks.

If you broke the clips that holds fuel injector into fuel rail they can be ordered in packs of five from rockauto.com.
The following users liked this post:
Usfwatchman (08-21-2019)
Old 04-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41

Originally Posted by Richboy1969
I just put 6 in mine.
#1: Remove negative battery cable.

#2: Take everything loose from upper intake plenum.
Air inlet duct from throttle body, AV cables from throttle body, leave throttle body bolted to upper inteke plenum! Gasket has to be ordered otherwise.

#2: Take the upper intake Plenum off. That will give you access to the fuel rail.

#3: Releave fuel pressure at shradder valve. Has a black cover screwed on it at back of fuel rail. Looks like a tire valve. Don't get gas in your eyes. LOL

#4: Remove the two fuel lines with a line wrench, not a standard open end wrench. Line nut heads will strip. Remove vacuum line at pressure regulator.

#5: Remove two bolts that hold down fuel rail, remove one bolt that holds throttle cable on.

#6: Remove wire harness from fuel injectors. Look at the shiny metal clip on top of each connector. Squeeze it a certain way to release harness.

#7: Take OHM meter and check fuel injectors between pins. Should be around 11.9ohms. If not then they are bad or going bad. If you change one you should change all. Acceptable = 9 - 13 ohm.

#8: Pull up on fuel rail wiggling it back and forth untill fuel injectors start coming out of middle intake plenum. If they been in for a while you might have a hard time getting the fuel rail off. Be carefull not to break small clip holding each fuel injector into fuel rail. They have to be ordered too. Doesn't come with fuel injector.

#9: Once fuel rail is out dump fuel out of it, turn it over and turn the clip(s) that holds fuel injector's half way to remove fuel injector.

#10: Place lubricate on new fuel injector o-ring's (both ends) and reassemble fuel rail. Tilt rail assembly to install injector rail into intake plenum.

#11: Replace o-rings on fuel lines. Make sure you use Fuel Quality O-rings. Should be orange, not black. Don't forget to lubricate them small amount.

#12: Tighten plenum bolts 18ft lb, Fuel line nuts 20ft lb, Fuel rail bolts 18ft lb.

#13: Reasmeble everything else and your done. Don't forget to check for leaks.

If you broke the clips that holds fuel injector into fuel rail they can be ordered in packs of five from rockauto.com.
You forgot one thing there... Pre-90 V6 engines had the 7th injector... You will need to undo the fitting on the fuel rail for this before you can lift out the rail. A word of warning: DO NOT LOSE THE O-RING INSIDE THE FITTING! The ONLY way to replace this is with an $8 gasket kit, out of which you will only need the one o-ring. Kind of a waste... Well, it's either that or get 4 smaller o-rings to fit in there (2 that fit right over the pipe and 2 the next size up).

Oh, and resistance spec should be over 11.8 ohms... Any injector lower needs to be tossed (92 FSM spec, 87 FSM spec is 10.4). Or was it 11.4 and 10.8 ohms? I forget and don't feel like looking it up ATM... Either way, anything less than 11 ohms needs to be tossed.

Last edited by Maverick H1L; 04-14-2011 at 01:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Usfwatchman (08-21-2019)
Old 04-14-2011, 01:41 PM

85blkmaro, Well there you have it. Now get to work LOL, hope it all goes well.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:38 PM

Car: 91 z28
Engine: 5.0l 305 tpi bone stock
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: stock

i just changed the injecters in my 91 305 tpi and i tryed doing it with the rail still on and i only have a cuple of the clips on and i have had leaks all over could it be because of the clips o and the injecters are out of a caddy just wondering if any one mite have any ideals what the prob is
Old 02-25-2017, 04:04 PM

Car: 87 Iroc Z28-2010 SS/RS
Engine: 350/427
Transmission: Manualx2

is there a process for "priming" the injectors and fuel rails once replaced?

I just swapped everything and its not firing.