V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Starting 1985 Camaro Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: T-5
Starting 1985 Camaro Build

I have been lurking around here for a while, before I made an account also. I have read and searched through multiple threads and posts. I have a few questions.

First off the car is a 1985 Sport Coupe 2.8 5spd. My parents bought it in the early 90s with 40k-60k miles on it. I remember all 8 of us riding in it, as it was our only reliable transportation for years. Probably the reason I love Chevy so much. Anyway, it was my gift for graduation. I never really got around to messing with it till now. I graduated in 2009. I could care less about the paint right now. I am focusing on the running and driving of the car. As it sits now I have 113k miles on it.

I have a 2004 F150 Heritage and a 2004 Honda Civic(AKA gas mileage). Both of them run very good, and I got deals on both of them. Now I want to focus what money my wife allows me to have into the car that is slow, but faster than my civic.

1st

The check engine light has been on for years. I felt like everyone was joking when they said to use a paperclip to check it. I read that the CODE 12 should flash 3 times, and then just repeat if no other codes are stored. Well all I get is CODE 12 flashing. I doubt it is the computer, since the car runs fine. What else could it be? Distributor?

2nd

My gas gauge has been pegged out since someone put a fuel pump in it a few years ago. First off, I am not happy with the way it was done. I am a big fan of cutting an access hole, but this looks like someone ripped the metal back with a set of needle nose. What are some causes for this?
I'm trying to find a way to make it more aesthetically pleasing.

3rd

I know that the 2.8 is an economy motor and is not economical to make "fast", but I want to toy around with it. I know that I need to do a tune up and some routine maintenance on the motor. I am interested in forced induction though afterwards.

I know that turbo is "easier" and "better", but I'm leaning towards supercharging. Particularly the Eaton M90.

One problem I am having trouble with is where to place it. The a/c isn't gassed up, and it seems like a good spot to put one, but I don't think an M90 will fit right there. Am I wrong? Has anyone actually finished a remote mount on a third gen? The M62 seems small enough to fit, but everyone seems to ask people why they don't just do a M90.

Is there anyway to run the supercharger off the little belt that is on the A/C? Can I just add a pulley and mount the charger farther forward? God knows I have tons of room in front of the motor.

How well will the stock computer respond? I have read mixed stuff about handling boost. I plan to use a boost controller, and stay below 6psi. Read that 305 injectors would give me enough fuel, but do I need a FMU? I am not interested in frying my motor right off the bat. Will the stock computer account for that and run ok? I know it wouldn't be optimal.

Thanks for any help. I'm least worried about the supercharging, but I have the most questions about it. My biggest concern right now is the CEL.

If someone happened to have a complete turbo setup I'd be interested, if it was within my wifes budget set for me. Right now it is a change jar, and whatever junk I can sell....snes...games...my body.

It is not much to look at, but it has never failed to start.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1985 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: Chevy 3.1
Transmission: 700r4
Re: Starting 1985 Camaro Build

There is actually a thread floating around here with someone who put an m90 on the top plenum. they cut a big hole in it and placed it on top. that would probably be the best place to put it.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:56 PM

I read that. Didn't he never get it to work?

I want remote mount so i can adjust boost without having yo change Pullies, and also intercool it.

Im not too worried about killing the motor.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:08 AM

There is a video of it and the guy actually set it on top of the manifold and there was enough room to run a BOV so he didn't have to changed the pulleys. There is also a Thread by the member penguin if I am correct. did a twin supercharged on an ls engine and it was remote mounted. You could look at some of his brackets he made to see what you might have to do even though it is a v8.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:00 PM

Car: 2006 Cobalt SS/SC
Engine: LSJ
Transmission: F35 MU3
Axle/Gears: 4.05

If you want to use an M90, your best bet would be to find an M90 from a Ford Thunderbird SuperCoupe since they were in a remote-mounted configuration. Yes, they were mounted on top of the engine, but the compressed air from the supercharger was diverted to a FMIC before being rerouted to the engine itself. This particular M90 is probably the most compact M90 supercharger package.

If you want to go M62, I'd recommend building a hybrid Mercedes C230/Cobalt SS Supercharged unit. Use the supercharger housing from the Mercedes C230, since it's such a small compact unit, but use the rotors, bearing unit, and snout assembly from a Cobalt SS Supercharged M62. This will get rid of the idiotic electric clutch system and make mounting the supercharger a little easier.

Either of these set-up's will require some kind of bypass-valve so you air can bypass the supercharger when at light-throttle or cruise. Your engine will thank you.

The choice of whether to use an M62 or M90 really depends on what kind of power levels you're looking to make. Intercooled, the M62 realistically can support about 270WHP, and the M90 can support about 350WHP. Without an intercooler, you won't be able to make as much power before having ridiculously high IAT's. Other supporting mods, i.e. exhaust, porting, etc., will help make a little more power, too.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:25 PM

Car: 1987Iroc
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Actually his name is Pocket here is the link to his twin supercharger thread. It might give you some ideas. https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-...-not-left.html
Old 04-01-2014, 07:12 PM

I wish the thunderbird m90s were cheaper. I guess I could just mount it on top of the engine, with a 5" cowl. More realistically 3". Would that even clear it?

I dont plan on making a ton of power. What about an m62 off of an older granprix or maybe something else. Early 90s.

How would the stock computer handle boost?
Old 04-01-2014, 07:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6

About the engine light, service manual says to disconnect battery, disconnect both computer connectors, reconnect battery, and turn key to "on" without cranking.

If the light comes on that means its not the computer (obviously), that the service engine light is shorted to ground between the dashboard and computer connector.

Give it a try... of course to hook the computer back up, turn key off, disconnect battery, reconnect computer, reconnect battery. And all your radio presets will be lost and the computer will have to re-learn the engine again (go for a 1/2 hour drive on the freeway).

About the fuel gauge, it could be someone cut the wire between the sender (in the tank) and the top of the tank. Also, the float rubs against a little stainless steel wire, that's what measures the fuel level- if the wire snaps the gauge stops working. So you'd need a new sending unit (or a junkyard part). But either way, the connection between the fuel gauge and fuel float/sender is snapped. Could also be cut under the carpet too.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:57 PM

Thanks for that advice. I'm way more interested in getting this thing functioning, than forced induction.

Would a backroad ride suffice?

I'll check the fuel gauge problem too. That is probably my least favorite thing ever. I have only driven the car maybe 3 or 4 times in the last year. I'm terrible with straightshifts.

I'm probably way better off going the turbo route after thinking about it. It has been done, and there is a nice stickie. There is just so much room in that engine bay.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:12 PM

Yeah what Tom said. I don't think it is anything major. And I would take the tank out and just put a new sending unit and fuel pump in. Just make sure since you want to get more power you need a bigger fuel pump. The one that is in it is probably weak if it has never been changed. So if you were going to put in a new sending unit I would upgrade that at the same time to save some pain and agony since we all know how hard it is to put it in haha.
Another thing is that you also have to wiring and stuff since you have an older ecm. I have an 85 sportcoupe too with a v6 and you cant tune with our ecms. so you would have to either do a 165 or 7730 ecm swap.
Not trying to discourage you but there is a lot to think about haha. I want to eventually do some stuff to my car but I want to get everything right away so I can hopefully get it done quickly.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:04 PM

I guess ill just keep it stock. I really don't want to drop a v8 in it, but that is probably the cheapest easiest power. What all would I need to drop in just an old 350? Im trying to plan ahead if this thing ever blows.

Check engine light was off today. I guess just checking the code reset it?

Last edited by Runwitme; 04-02-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:45 PM

Unplugging the battery resets the timing light. So you aren't going to be supercharging it any more?
Old 04-02-2014, 08:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41

Couple observations:

1. I hope you're up for a lot of fabrication as that is what will be involved in adding a supercharger (or any forced induction, for that matter).
2. There is no aftermarket support (aka hacks or tuning support) for your factory ECM (one year only and it's for a V6, there isn't even any support for the ECM that was used on the V6 from 86-88). Best bet is to swap a 1227165 in place of it.
3. You're going to want to drive the car, if you can, to make sure that the SES light stays off. If it doesn't, then pull the code(s) from it.
4. As was said above, just get a replacement fuel sending unit and put a better fuel pump on it. Unless you want to do what I did and make a mount for an external fuel pump.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:01 PM
Supreme Member

Checking the code wouldn't clear it... like camaroyoungster said, only disconnecting the battery would clear a code. (Or after a long time without the original problem happening again, I forget how long it is.) Sounds possible you have an intermittent short on the light itself. Does it still come on when you turn the key to on (before cranking the engine)?

If you have a harborfreight.com nearby you can pick up their $6 multimeter to check the fuel sender. You'd check resistance of it at the tank connector first. If that's good then you'd check further, closest to the dash.

Hey it'd be strange if the dash is messed up- which broke both your service engine light and your fuel gauge at the same time...
Old 04-02-2014, 08:36 PM

I have taken the battery off 100 times and it never went off.

My parents had a shop replace the heater core years ago. They split the dash completely in half all the way down. Possibly they screwed a lot up. The car cranks right up and runs fine. Even after not running in months. One key turn and fires right up.

I have a friend that is a machinist and wants to play around with stuff. He would be my help.

Fuel pump was replaced around 10k miles ago. Even crappier job.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:47 AM
Supreme Member

They split the what??? You don't mean they cut the dash down the middle right? Did that same shop change the fuel pump?
Old 04-03-2014, 11:28 AM

They broke it in half down the middle. No. Also this is be for I could even.drive.

Family member did the fuel pump. It works, just full tank all the time.

So for the record, I cannot run boost on the stock computer?

Last edited by Runwitme; 04-03-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:02 PM

You could run boost but I don't think the engine would last very long. Maybe able to have as much as the MAF can handle. Otherwise you have to upgrade to a '165 or 7730 ecm that can run a MAP sensor with I think $59 code.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:10 PM

I do have a civic i can rice out. My wife drives it, so idc. Jk

She is a business manager for a newspaper......she says a civic is not a business woman car. She wants a g37 sedan or cts..... or ctsv.

I dont mind leaving the camaro stock. I just thought it would be a fun $500-1000 project.

The car has sentimental value to me, but I dont want to sink a lot of money in it. The body has some fade and surface rust, other than that its straight. Interior has the use of 8 people riding in it. This was before the days of safety. I was the youngest so I got the front floorboard. No one wanted the hump seat.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:17 PM

Put new pins and bushings in today. Cherry picker is way easier than a jack and balancing act. Door shuts wayyyyy easier now. Shut really good when I forgot to put the spring back in. Once I put it in it screeched like crazy and was a little harder to shut, but still I don't have to pick it up to shut it now.