V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Cold start injector

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 Camaro RS
Cold start injector

The fact that my car won't start unless I spray fuel into the throttle body can't be related to the fact that the cold start injector isn't plugged in, can it? Did an engine swap, also an 2.8L, pretty much entirely the same engine except for that the opening for the cold start injector was still sealed off and we left it this way. Plugged it off on the injector rail as well. Would've done it differently had I then known what it was for however.

Last edited by Renier; 05-04-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 663 Likes on 473 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: Cold start injector

Originally Posted by Renier
The fact that my car won't start unless I spray fuel into the throttle body can't be related to the fact that the cold start injector isn't plugged in, can it? Did an engine swap, also an 2.8L, pretty much entirely the same engine except for that the opening for the cold start injector was still sealed off and we left it this way. Plugged it off on the injector rail as well. Would've done it differently had I then known what it was for however.

Yep , you pretty much nailed it , if the cold start injector isn't there it's not going to start well (or at all) when stone cold due to the lack of the extra fuel needed for starting . Your two options are to restore proper functioning of the cold start injector or to get a chip from someone like "tunedperformance" (hope I spelled that right) who is a member here and known for doing quality work on these matters . He can program a chip for you such that the regular injectors do the enrichening while cranking like the later 3.2 engines do and so no need of the seventh injector ....

Good Luck with whichever you decide
Old 05-04-2014, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 Camaro RS

Originally Posted by init4fun
Yep , you pretty much nailed it , if the cold start injector isn't there it's not going to start well (or at all) when stone cold due to the lack of the extra fuel needed for starting . Your two options are to restore proper functioning of the cold start injector or to get a chip from someone like "tunedperformance" (hope I spelled that right) who is a member here and known for doing quality work on these matters . He can program a chip for you such that the regular injectors do the enrichening while cranking like the later 3.2 engines do and so no need of the seventh injector ....

Good Luck with whichever you decide
Sweet, man! Many thanks on confirming this for me, helps me out a bunch to know for sure. The problem is that it would be a great pain in the back to install the cold start injector now, despite the fact that I have all the parts at hand, would probably have to lift the entire engine to drill a hole and install the injector. But soon I'm going to drop the tranmsission to replace a leaking core/freeze plug, will see if I can reach it then, I really hope so but at the same time I don't really expect to be able to reach it with a drill. Wonder what the rates for the guy who makes the chip are, and what the delivery time/costs would be. Ideally I'd be able to reach it once the transmission is down, but I really don't feel like disconnecting everything, lifting the engine (including needing to get a lift again) and having to do everything all over again just for the cold start injector. So that way the chip might be a way better alternative if I could get my hands on it for a decent price. Will find out soon though, when I drop the transmission. Thanks again!
Old 05-05-2014, 09:08 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Camaro RS running MS2X
Engine: .48/.60AR T3/T4 2.8L V6
Transmission: Rebuilt 700R4 2500 stall
Axle/Gears: Next to break...
Originally Posted by Renier

Sweet, man! Many thanks on confirming this for me, helps me out a bunch to know for sure. The problem is that it would be a great pain in the back to install the cold start injector now, despite the fact that I have all the parts at hand, would probably have to lift the entire engine to drill a hole and install the injector. But soon I'm going to drop the tranmsission to replace a leaking core/freeze plug, will see if I can reach it then, I really hope so but at the same time I don't really expect to be able to reach it with a drill. Wonder what the rates for the guy who makes the chip are, and what the delivery time/costs would be. Ideally I'd be able to reach it once the transmission is down, but I really don't feel like disconnecting everything, lifting the engine (including needing to get a lift again) and having to do everything all over again just for the cold start injector. So that way the chip might be a way better alternative if I could get my hands on it for a decent price. Will find out soon though, when I drop the transmission. Thanks again!
Ive heard nothing but good about tunedperformance, granted I havent used their services.

We deleted my CSI, well still there just unplugged, during my Megasquirt install. Really cant tell my IAC and CSI are unplugged once everything is dialed in.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41

You don't need a drill to remove the plug, and it WILL be difficult to reach no matter how you go about getting at it unless you remove the intake manifold. And don't forget to remove the plug in the manifold next to the CTS for the temp switch or it's still not going to work.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:37 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Wasn't that long ago that people use to take out the cold start on purpose and just plugged it???