V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Trying again to get this thing working.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Trying again to get this thing working.

i originally had a thread here

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/6...tart-lets.html

i lost my restaurant and my parents got disabled in a car accident when someone ran a red light. i've been trying to help them for the last few years. my dad just got disability, but not his back pay yet. when that comes in i will have a little money again, and i no longer will have to help them with their bills. i was about to buy a new firebird, but i keep losing them because i don't have the money yet. i think i finally motivated myself to try to get this car working again.

-Here it goes-
back story the guy i got it from was bi-passing and removing things a lot. i have no idea what is missing and what was not included in my model

i replaced ignition module, distributor cap and rotor and ignition coil. the engine cranks but doesn't start. i don't seem to be getting power to the distributor. i have been told there is an issue from the starter that keeps the computer from sending power to the distributor.

can anyone walk me through how to check this, or have any idea why i can't get spark?

also i am not sure if i want to siphon the gas and put new gas in it again. does anyone know the way to hook it up so i can fuel the engine without my gas tank?

thank you for all and any help.

ps know where i can get a new whole wiring set up and how much it would be

EDIT:

i decided i am pulling the engine and rebuilding the car. i am going to strip the thing to the metal if i have to. i want to know where i can get good parts including a whole wiring kit and what parts i am better off going to the junk yard and what parts i am better off getting after market? also what should i change to get a little more power, i want it to be a daily driver and i live in FL. so i need ac, but after market piston heads or what-not would be good.

my budget is about $1000-$2000. i am not trying to get a race car i just want something fun to drive that looks good.

also mine is automatic if that maters.

Last edited by TheSwarm666X; 10-23-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1998 Camaro Z28
Engine: 6.0L
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Trying again to get this thing working.

You would be best off getting a complete used harness from another car. If you want more power, look into getting a 3.4 from a 4th gen and drop that long block in. There is a sticky with all the aftermarket parts you can get for these cars, you can look through there and pick/choose what fits your budget/build.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6

Originally Posted by drdave88
You would be best off getting a complete used harness from another car. If you want more power, look into getting a 3.4 from a 4th gen and drop that long block in. There is a sticky with all the aftermarket parts you can get for these cars, you can look through there and pick/choose what fits your budget/build.

problem is a lot of that sticky is most if not all the links are dead. and i honestly don't have the know how to sort out what would give more power and what is just a replacement part.

i am not sure if i should get a used wire harness or if it would be easier to get a universal and rewire from there. i don't know if i would run into problems of the connectors mismatching in the new. also don't know if there is any wear on the wires on a used.

i heard the 3.4 isn't much of an upgrade, and since i have a good engine i don't know if i care to get another one AND do the upgrades. plus some of the other parts i'd need to install with it might make it more expensive on something that isn't worth it.

so far i am looking at a "rebuild kit" that has new
"FULL GASKET SET, PISTON RINGS, PISTONS (Bore: 89mm, 1st Ring: 1.5, 2nd Ring: 2.0, Oil Ring: 4.8, Min Clearance: 0.0012), FREEZE PLUG, ROD BEARINGS, MAIN BEARINGS, CAM BEARINGS, OIL PUMP, TIMING KIT WITH TENSIONER, LIFTERS."
i am not sure what kind of things i'd want to upgrade from the list, and what things not on the list i should look into.

i am trying to get a list together, then buy everything, then start the work.

was thinking of getting knew carpet into the car too, not that it is to bad, but with everything else being done it might be a nice addition in a point where everything is getting taken apart.

i also know i need new seals too. for the doors and the hatch.

also mine is automatic if that maters.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: 700R4

Sounds like you are a good son. You will never know how much your parents appreciate the help. I know all about the disability and trying to get it approved, Mean while some alien and his/her family get approved and free everything.. Good old Merica.

Anyways, I was reading your posts and it sounds like for a long time you have wanted to do this. I suggest to take more time and read up on everything you can. You have the internet at your fingertips. Honestly, 2k sounds a bit tight for what you want to do. You can have 2k into just paint and materials pretty fast and easy.. I think if you did more research it may help you be able to do a lot of the work yourself and save money. If you need any parts, hit up NightRider327. Very nice guy, extremely knowledgeable, and has access to lots of parts.

Good luck with the build!!
Keep posts coming.
-D
Old 10-23-2015, 12:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1998 Camaro Z28
Engine: 6.0L
Transmission: 4L60E

Used harness would be way easier than a universal kit. Not sure if you have much experience with a universal kit, but it sounds like a lot of no fun to me. You would have to try to find the exact connectors you need, running EVERY wire to the proper length, pin everything, etc.

When I went from a 2.8 to a 3.4, there was quite a difference, especially in lower end torque. If yours is still good though, you can still upgrade what you have. This is along the same lines of building a 305 vs a 350, most will tell you to get a 350, you start with a better base line.

Basics to upgrade though would be cam, rockers, timing chain, headers, valve springs, push rods. That would wake it up pretty good. Since you have an auto, get a higher stall converter and maybe a shift kit, not sure what condition the trans is in.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Trans Am GTA
Engine: L98(5.7 L TPI)
Transmission: 700r4(A4)
Axle/Gears: G80 RPO, 3:23s, Auburn Racer's Diff

I'll be honest with you, you're better off your $$$ on a mechanic (who knows how to work on old cars) to get your car running before you invest in a rebuild.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by wgripp
I'll be honest with you, you're better off your $$$ on a mechanic (who knows how to work on old cars) to get your car running before you invest in a rebuild.
I'm betting that in a couple years the situation has rectified itself one way or the other ....