V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

starts but wont stay running!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
starts but wont stay running!

1992 firebird 3.1 v6, i changed the plugs and wires, changed the fuel filter, sometimes it will start the die, then times it will stay running for a 1 min then die
Old 07-02-2017, 08:51 PM

Car: 1988 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: The All-Powerful 2.8l!! :P
Re: starts but wont stay running!

Unless your 3.1 has had some major work done to it, it should still have it's electronic fuel injection system, so pumping the pedal like that isn't going to do much good

To me it sounds like a fuel issue, but there's a real easy way to find out if your engine has a problem with spark OR with fuel. Pop her hood and take off the air intake, spray some starter fluid into the intake. If she fires right up, your ignition system should be doing it's job.

If the engine is starting fine off of starting fluid, you have a fuel delivery problem. I can hear your fuel pump priming, does it always prime with Key ON? You can check to make sure you have adequate fuel pressure by looking behind your intake manifold on the top rear of your fuel rail, there's a small black cap. You can take this off and attach a fuel pressure gauge here. If you don't have a gauge carefully poke it and see if pressurized fuel sprays out. If that checks out you need to look at your fuel injectors, they could be clogged or not firing at all.

Post back with what you find
Old 07-03-2017, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the reply, Yes the fuel pump primes every time i turn the key on, and it primes after the engine dies, dont know if that is normal, poking the fuel rail on the back with or with out key on?
Old 07-03-2017, 03:51 PM

i sprayed starting fuilded in the the intake, alot of dirty fluid come out, im one person so i had to spray then going start it, the intake spits put wont start, i poked the fuel gauge and a little fuel come out.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:25 PM

Priming after the engine dies doesn't sound right, maybe the ECM got the impression the engine was running and kept it running a second or two after shut-off.

Turn your key to ON once or twice then go check the fuel pressure, if pressurized fuel shoots out then you should be good fuel wise.

Are you saying the car won't run for even a second off of starting fluid? If so we're gonna have to look at the ignition system, have you made sure you're getting spark to your spark plugs?
Old 07-03-2017, 07:32 PM

not sure if im getting spark, how would i do that! im uploading a video of what it is doing!
Old 07-03-2017, 08:55 PM

NOTICE when i stop trying to start the car how the fuel pump primes again! the engine gets hung up as you can hear in the video!

Old 07-04-2017, 02:52 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Car: 92 Z28
Engine: Ramjet 350
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Torsen

Check your timing.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:29 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

It is normal for the fuel pump to run at least 2 seconds or more once you stop cranking. The ECM will do the minimum of 2 seconds, and if oil pressure built that can have the fuel pump run even longer.

RBob.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:10 PM

You can check for spark real easily with an in-line spark tester, they can plug right in between your spark plug and wire or between your ignition coil and dist. If you don't have one you can get one for like $5 at Harbor Freight, works fine (Tho I learned you should take it off before going for a victory lap to avoid it melting to the exhaust manifold ). If it flashes when connected between your spark plug and wire, you're A-OK!

I agree with Maroe, It's real easy to check. Grab a socket wrench (forget the exact size) and move your harmonic balancer clockwise, while doing this you need to have the #1 spark plug (the first spark plug on the passenger side, if you are facing the engine from the front of the car) removed and your finger in the hole. As you turn the harmonic balancer clockwise, you want to feel air blow out against your finger. You then need to continue moving the balancer until the big notch on it is aligned with the "0" on the little metal timing tab. This is called TDC. Follow your #1 spark plug's cable to the dist, take the cap off and make sure the rotor is pointing towards it. If it isn't, move the dist until it is. Put your cap back on and make sure the plug wires are in order, it's real simple on our V6 cars, 1-2-3-4-5-6 clockwise. Here's a diagram to help-

With the engine now reset at TDC and you've verified that you have spark, you should have no problem at least firing the car off of starting fluid
Old 07-04-2017, 09:34 PM

theres not alot of spark on the plug, the coil is sparking fine! i didnt do what you say yet LoveIT
Old 07-04-2017, 10:20 PM

If you're getting good spark from coil but not at plugs, be sure to check your cap and rotor for any signs of damage/corrosion next time you're with her
Old 07-07-2017, 01:23 AM

I had the same problem. sometimes it would start sometimes not.
1. Is your security light coming on for about 5 seconds then going off. If not clean the pellet in your key and try again. Hell clean it anyway.
2. Pull your distributor cap and look at the distributor. If the top is rusty as *&(^ replace the distributor. You can get one off Ebay Cheap. I already had a cap and rotor so I got a reman without cap and rotor for $25. It fixed all my problems. She purrs like a kitten now.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:28 AM

Car: 1986 Trans Am WS6 w/ Recaros
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700R4

is it throwing any CEL's? was the car sitting for a long time before you tried starting it?