V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Standard AIR filter box mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 02:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Firebird
Engine: 3.1
Transmission: 700r4 /borg warner t5
Standard AIR filter box mod

So while i wait for my 2.8 Pacesetter headers to arrive i want to "open up" the other end on my 3.1 v6.
the factory one got a little intake that makes the filter element only dirty at one spot and clog it really quick in my area.
I searched on the internet for custom air intakes but they are expensive in price and i think they are cheap looking ( every honda got one).
So i did mine for cheap only using an angle grinder , abrasive paper, a steel tube and some washers .

you can take all standard paper filters or the k&n with the original factory size

first you cut open the bottom of that "rust bucket" right above the edge.
the tube is that the filter does not collapse , brake away or bent if you tighten the screw that holds the top part of the air box in place.

Put it together to measure out the length of the metal tube, but be sure it is a little bit shorter that the filter element gets pressed in place for a good seal top and bottom . If you cut the tube too short you can shim it with some washers

it is important that you work as clean as possible that means deburring everything , wash all parts and inspect every part for metal shavings.

now you have to find a new place for the intake temperature sensor . i will soon make a heat shield for the filter that it doesn't suck the warm engine heat

with this mod i can feel a little better throttle response and acceleration
when i got the headers and high flow exhaust i think it makes a bigger difference
i hope this is useful for some of you

Last edited by luca; 04-15-2018 at 02:45 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:03 AM
Supreme Member

Received 659 Likes on 469 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: Standard AIR filter box mod

Without a properly executed plan for increasing power , you'll actually find your LOOSING power with what your doing , if no "tuning" is involved !

Everything your doing , opening up the air cleaner and adding headers , is having the effect of allowing more air to flow through the engine , all well and good . But now how about the fuel side of the system ? Yes indeed the ECM will compensate to a small degree for the "excess" air , but it's ability to compensate is limited and you'll eventually reach the point of being too lean , not good for making power . I see you have not put back the IAT sensor , now your ECM has one less piece of info to work with and will have to substitute a "compromise value" for the missing sensor's input , again not the best recipe for making power .

Just the mere fact of hanging high performance parts to something means nothing , and may well be a detriment to the more power goal , without a well laid plan in place . There are guys here who have taken these sixes to the max as far as power goes , spend some time reading their threads and you'll quickly find that ECM tuning is a must if your to see any real gains in power VS just a lot more noise that "feels like" the car is going faster (when it reality it ain't) .....
Old 04-15-2018, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Firebird
Engine: 3.1
Transmission: 700r4 /borg warner t5

Originally Posted by OrangeBird
Without a properly executed plan for increasing power , you'll actually find your LOOSING power with what your doing , if no "tuning" is involved !

Everything your doing , opening up the air cleaner and adding headers , is having the effect of allowing more air to flow through the engine , all well and good . But now how about the fuel side of the system ? Yes indeed the ECM will compensate to a small degree for the "excess" air , but it's ability to compensate is limited and you'll eventually reach the point of being too lean , not good for making power . I see you have not put back the IAT sensor , now your ECM has one less piece of info to work with and will have to substitute a "compromise value" for the missing sensor's input , again not the best recipe for making power .

Just the mere fact of hanging high performance parts to something means nothing , and may well be a detriment to the more power goal , without a well laid plan in place . There are guys here who have taken these sixes to the max as far as power goes , spend some time reading their threads and you'll quickly find that ECM tuning is a must if your to see any real gains in power VS just a lot more noise that "feels like" the car is going faster (when it reality it ain't) .....
thank you for your reply
well i put back the IAT sensor after installing i also make a proper holder soon
most of the people who installed the headers says the engine runs to rich not to lean
i want only a little bit more torque because i live in a hilly area
how can i make the best out of it with the headers?
do i need a ecm chip?
I got a heated o2 sensor too

Last edited by luca; 04-15-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 659 Likes on 469 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by luca
thank you for your reply
well i put back the IAT sensor after installing i also make a proper holder soon
most of the people who installed the headers says the engine runs to rich not to lean
i want only a little bit more torque because i live in a hilly area
how can i make the best out of it with the headers?
do i need a ecm chip?
I got a heated o2 sensor too
Guys like Six_shooter and Fast Eddie are the guys whose threads you want to read if your looking to do V6 mods right . Also , I'm not trying to fluff you off here , I just know there are only certain things you can do and there is only so far you can go before an ECM tune becomes needed , and I'm not certain exactly where the line is drawn between what the ECM in stock form will or won't compensate for . A great starting read would be the thread at the very top of the V6 page "How to get the most power/speed out of your V6 car" , and in fact there are several "sticky" threads at the top of the page dealing in exactly what your looking for , a bit more zip outta your 6 .
Old 04-15-2018, 03:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Simply removing the can and clamping the filter between the lid and support base will do the same thing. Was good for .4 of a second on my Formula. Never timed my 3.1 after doing the same. Just bored a hole in the bottom of the air intake duct and shoved the IAT in there. Still ran just fine, made more noise.

Unfortunately, the 3.1L is so handicapped, you'd really have to want to stick with it to put much money into mods. Most fun I had with mine was 125hp shot of nitrous. Turned it into a completely different car for a few seconds here and there. Was too expensive to really indulge properly. A turbo charger would have been the bee's knees, but that's not something most people are just going to cook up in the garage.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:39 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1985 Firebird
Engine: 3.4 turbo
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.42

they run so rich in the stock tune that i'm sure he'll be fine with some basic mods and not worry about running lean. Headers and this should be fine. If you can drive it around and enjoy it and feel like you made a little power then good on you.