V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Nasty clattering sound- damaged transmission mount?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 02:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: The All-Powerful 2.8l!! :P
Nasty clattering sound- damaged transmission mount?

Hey guys, recently the bulletproof 2.8 has started making this awful clattering noise, loudest cruising around 15mph in first and least noticeable while cruising in 3rd & 4th. 700r4 btw. You can hear the clattering wind down almost in sync with the engine while cruising when you let off the throttle. I'm thinking something torque converter?

The engine's been pretty much solid up until the other day when I fixed an exhaust leak before the catalytic converter. I had to have the front end of the car lifted pretty high up to do this. For a long while my transmission mount (the metal crossmember) has been bent from running over a stump, I'm sure the actual mount is trashed too, but it's never given me trouble or the typical bad tranny mount rattle ever, so I've never replaced the crossmember.

-MAIN POINT- Crossmember and mount is trashed, could lifting the front end up had knocked something out of place or anything to cause clattering? I've heard about the bolts coming lose?

Any input is appreciated guys
Old 07-09-2018, 12:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 88 Sport Coupe Camaro
Engine: V6 2.8
Transmission: Borg-Warner T-5
Axle/Gears: RPO/GU6: 3.42
Re: Nasty clattering sound- damaged transmission mount?

The PO of my car hammered a large chunk of 2x4 into between the transmission and the underside of the transmission hump.

I drove mine that way for a while before a pro mechanic insisted that he let me install a new transmission mount. I didn’t even own a floor jack at the time, so I was glad for him to do it for me. Made a big difference in the driveline noise and violent oscillation of the shifter.

Now that I’m better equipped with tools, and I have a broader understanding of the car, it looks like the job of replacing that mount is super easy. All I see is a few bolts right on the bottom of the mount. Once you are under there, probably a 10-minute job with a cheap socket set.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Dynamic Racing Reverse Manual 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45

the mount takes 10 minutes to change and if it's original then it definitely needs replacing. start from there and see if it goes away.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 659 Likes on 469 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by TylerSteez
the mount takes 10 minutes to change and if it's original then it definitely needs replacing. start from there and see if it goes away.
Exactly !

Fix the known broken stuff first and then the clunk just may be gone with a nice tight transmission crossmember/mount