V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Oil pressure and temp gauge install?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Firebird
Engine: 2.8L V6
Transmission: 700r4
Oil pressure and temp gauge install?

hey guys so my Firebird doesn’t not have a oil psi or coolant temp gauge and I wanna get them but they look “complicated” how would I go about installing them??😬
Old 08-22-2018, 03:17 AM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Car: 92 Z28
Engine: Ramjet 350
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Torsen
Re: Oil pressure and temp gauge install?

Piece of cake, temp gauge you just remove old sensor on driver side head behind the ac compressor if you have one, install sensor and run the wire to the inside of the cabin using one of the existing holes in the firewall. Being careful not to bend the hard line that much. Oil gauge same thing remove old sensor from oil filter, attach the plastic line with the adapter and the small ferrules, make sure you tighten up good so it can crush the line and hold. Many people say go with copper line but Ive been running the plastic line no problem.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:01 AM

There are no existing gauges in my car I didn’t even have a tachometer. Would it still be the same way to install? And I know it’s alot but maybe could you add pictures? Or something thank you for your help regardless!
Originally Posted by maroe624
Piece of cake, temp gauge you just remove old sensor on driver side head behind the ac compressor if you have one, install sensor and run the wire to the inside of the cabin using one of the existing holes in the firewall. Being careful not to bend the hard line that much. Oil gauge same thing remove old sensor from oil filter, attach the plastic line with the adapter and the small ferrules, make sure you tighten up good so it can crush the line and hold. Many people say go with copper line but Ive been running the plastic line no problem.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1998 Camaro Z28
Engine: 6.0L
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.73

For Oil Pressure Gauge:
Your oil pressure sending unit is in a different location, but same idea as the video shows.

Another for Oil Pressure and Temp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg1jyO36zR
Again, your sensor locations will be different from the video but same basic idea.

There are a ton of videos on youtube, These are just the first two I came across.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:10 PM

I’ve removed the old coolant temp sensor and the temp gauge I bought now works but my engine is over heating a lot now.
Originally Posted by Stevenmunoz
There are no existing gauges in my car I didn’t even have a tachometer. Would it still be the same way to install? And I know it’s alot but maybe could you add pictures? Or something thank you for your help regardless!