Wheels and Tires Need help with wheels or tires? Got fitment issues? Have questions about tire performance and handling? Ask all of those questions here!

Anyone have their IROC-Z Wheels Polished?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 01:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z 100% Original
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08
Anyone have their IROC-Z Wheels Polished?

I am thinking of getting my IROC-Z Wheels Polished and having the lines painted black. Does anyone on here have their OEM IROC-Z Wheels Polished? If you do would you mind posting a picture of them so I can see how they look. I have an '89 so it has the double lines. If yours are the single lines thats fine too!
Old 01-24-2013, 08:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '85 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi
Re: Anyone have their IROC-Z Wheels Polished?

Many have. Search and you shall find. Take your time to do it right. 3M painters tape for the painted surface, lots of compounds, and don't dare think elbow grease alone will get desired results. It'll be worth the work.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:41 PM

Bump... Anyone on here Polished their Wheels? Any pit issues on final product??
The place that is going to polish my wheels is making me sign a waiver because the wheels are over 20 years old, and theyre saying back then they didnt have the technology when making these wheels which could make small air pockets in the aluminum creating small pitting if you take off the finish when you polish them. They claim that you cant see the pitting with the factory clear coat, but once you start to taking off the clear coat and polish them you possibly might start to see the small pitting caused by the air pockets trapped in the aluminum. Or you may not... I'm hoping I wont on the final product. Anyone experience this, or are they flush with no pitting?
Old 01-25-2013, 08:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 camaro sports coupe
Engine: Fast Burn 385
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt w/ 3.27 gears

There were no small air pockets in my wheels. Not IROC's, but I can't see them being different. They sanded very smooth, didn't encounter a single "air bubble" in all my sanding. I'm not too sure they were even cast in such a manner, to allow it. Seems like something you'd encounter in a very poor quality wheel, you should be fine. No reason you can't get a very good polish on those wheels.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone have their IROC-Z Wheels Polished?-dscf0708.jpg  
Old 01-26-2013, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by cavazos31
There were no small air pockets in my wheels. Not IROC's, but I can't see them being different. They sanded very smooth, didn't encounter a single "air bubble" in all my sanding. I'm not too sure they were even cast in such a manner, to allow it. Seems like something you'd encounter in a very poor quality wheel, you should be fine. No reason you can't get a very good polish on those wheels.
Wow looks sweet! Ok I figure your wheels (I'm guessing 91-92) are not much different in casting then mine ('89). And I like the black lining too, it really makes it pop. Thats what I'm going to do as well. Did you use a low gloss black or a flat satin black? And how do you clean your wheels when they get dirty with brake dust?
Old 01-26-2013, 03:56 AM

thanks. I used a satin black wheel paint at first. I then decided I wanted a gloss finish, and am currently changing them to a gloss charcol grey. If you wanna save yourself a lot of work, go with a satin black. To get a good gloss finish on the painted areas, you'll need to do a good amount of prep prior to painting. As far as protecting them, I've read good things about "wheel wax" I plan on trying that when I get them on my car. I'm guessing I'll clean them with soap/water and a micro fiber cloth since I won't be using any harsh chemicals or wheel brushes.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:54 AM

I was thinking just regular soap and water is the best way to clean them.
I'm having a shop do all the work so I don't care about the labor issues. But I still can't decide to have the lines painted either satin flat black or low gloss black. I don't want the too much gloss because then it will take away from that popping looking. Tough decision...
Wish more guys on here posted pics to see comparisons
Old 01-30-2013, 07:42 AM

Between flat and satin, I'd choose satin. Flat has no gloss, satin has little/low gloss. Flat black looks like cheap primer spray paint, a nice satin finish is probably what your after. I think any dark colored paint offers a good contrast, since the wheels only came in silver, white and red.