Wheels and Tires Need help with wheels or tires? Got fitment issues? Have questions about tire performance and handling? Ask all of those questions here!

Hawks 17" GTA wheels with coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 08:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 223 Likes on 149 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: 5.0
Hawks 17" GTA wheels with coilovers?

Hawks 17" GTA mesh wheels with coilovers?
Anyone running this set up and if so, what size front tires and how is the clearance?
Old 09-02-2018, 03:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Ford F-150 Limited, 1992 T/A GTA
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: Auto
Re: Hawks 17" GTA wheels with coilovers?

I am currently installing a QA1 coilover level 2 kit right now. I will let you know as soon as I am done. I was told you should be able to lower 2” without clearance issue but will know for sure when I am done.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:21 PM
Supreme Member

Very cool - let me know how it all works out - I want to do the same thing - Good Luck!
Old 12-02-2018, 03:40 PM
Supreme Member

How did it work out for you? Any updates?
Old 12-02-2018, 04:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

I still can't see coil-overs being a good idea on the front of a thirdgen. It'd put all the spring stress that would normally go into the steel crossmember, into the thin stamped steel strut tower. I can't bend my mind around how it could possibly work well. What am I missing?
Old 12-02-2018, 05:25 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Drew
I still can't see coil-overs being a good idea on the front of a thirdgen. It'd put all the spring stress that would normally go into the steel crossmember, into the thin stamped steel strut tower. I can't bend my mind around how it could possibly work well. What am I missing?
You make a good point Drew......never thought much about it.....hmmmm
Old 12-02-2018, 09:34 PM

Not going to agree or disagree with ya on the coil overs. I will say I researched them enough to say I seen no negative reviews. I see them on earlier t/a’s, camaros, and 68,69,and 70 Chevelles which are much heavier. QA1 knows a little more than I do about it so I am not to concerned with that.
progress, front suspension is done. I have been working on mocking up brakes, brake lines and brakes on the Hawks rear end.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:54 PM

Would like to have this wrapped up by next weekend. Honestly, not terribly difficult. My real major issues have been time and changing the rear end to the Hawks rear end. The QA1 coil over shock mounts mount a little differently on this rear end than on the factory rear end so I had to make a 2 spacers. Brake line braket location on the factory rear end is left of center and forward on the rear end. On the Hawks it was top center. I don’t like that location, plus the hose would be about 10”-11” short since it mounting point is center top rear. So I built a braket and moved the location closer to the original point. Then install brackets to hold the hard line to the rear end and made up brackets for stainless steel braided brake lines for the calipers. I can see if I can get better photos of that tomorrow if you like? If you where going with factory rear end I doubt any of this would be an issue. The only other change that I have to make is getting wider u-bolts for the rear end. The factory axle tubes require 2.5” and the Hawks axle housings are 3”. I will be calling Hawks tomorrow to see if they have these u-bolts, if not I will be having some made or sourcing them.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:12 PM

Now researching an engine upgrade. I am considering a White performance 396 Stroker and putting a F.I.R.S.T intake on it. It would be that or a Holley Sniper but really leaning to the FIRST to keep it somewhat period correct.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro B4C
Engine: 305
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Originally Posted by BizJetTech
Hawks 17" GTA mesh wheels with coilovers?
Anyone running this set up and if so, what size front tires and how is the clearance?
What are you trying to achieve? One of the best things about original thirdgens is their suspension and, as Drew mentioned, the coilover kit may place undue stress on part of the frame that was never designed for high loading. My guess is they're an upgrade if done right, but you'll likely require supporting modifications to "think it through" and get it all dialed in safely.

That being said, some very simple changes can yield a far better handling car. I love my current setup; the car handles great even with a bad factory spec alignment. I need to get a custom alignment done up front still. A pic is attached of the clearance. I experience no rubbing, even with some hard cornering.

Hawks 17" GTA wheels
BFG G Force Comp 2 275/40/17
Bilstein Shocks/Struts
Hotchkis lowering springs (advertise 1", looks more like 1.2" and car sits nice and level unlike Eibach sportlines that I've seen)
Poly bushings throughout suspension
TDS Wonder Bar
Hawks Adjustable Panhard

Old 12-03-2018, 12:41 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by KMK454
What are you trying to achieve? One of the best things about original thirdgens is their suspension and, as Drew mentioned, the coilover kit may place undue stress on part of the frame that was never designed for high loading. My guess is they're an upgrade if done right, but you'll likely require supporting modifications to "think it through" and get it all dialed in safely.

That being said, some very simple changes can yield a far better handling car. I love my current setup; the car handles great even with a bad factory spec alignment. I need to get a custom alignment done up front still. A pic is attached of the clearance. I experience no rubbing, even with some hard cornering.

Hawks 17" GTA wheels
BFG G Force Comp 2 275/40/17
Bilstein Shocks/Struts
Hotchkis lowering springs (advertise 1", looks more like 1.2" and car sits nice and level unlike Eibach sportlines that I've seen)
Poly bushings throughout suspension
TDS Wonder Bar
Hawks Adjustable Panhard

well....I wanted complete (and easy) height adjust-ability at each corner. The only way to do this from what I've seen is either a coil-over setup up
or weight jack set up - However, my preference just changed as I decided not to buy the car I was planning to mod - so it's all for future knowledge at this point.
I am going to install the same springs you have in the car I'm buying now as it is an all original 13,000 mile 92 Z/28 vert that I will be running the 17 inch Hawks mesh wheels on now.
Thanks for the info !!