Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

few questions about dropped spindles....did a search but nothing what i was looking 4

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Z
Engine: Somethin Nice!!
Transmission: T56
few questions about dropped spindles....did a search but nothing what i was looking 4

ok well currently i have 2" drop springs up front of my 91 Z and i wanna move up to coil overs. ive read that Spohns front coil over system doesnt allow you to lower your car more than 1" from factory height without getting shorter springs and running into major strut issues. so ive also read that dropped spindles lower the car and maintain your stock suspension geometry. so my question is will dropped spindles and Spohn front coil over kit do what i want (2-3" lower than factory height)? most importantly will they work together with no interferance problems just easy bolt in?

now for part 2 of my question: i am also planning on getting the Baer Extreme+ 13.5" front brake system. will dropped spindles work with this kit? does Baer make their own set of spindles that come in the kit for use with only their brakes? if i need to mod the dropped spindles, can i send them to Baer for them to do the work for me?
Old 06-10-2005, 02:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44
Baer used to provide modified drop spindles, either new or on exchange for your existing ones. Since drop spindles are no longer available though, you'd probably have to find a used set to send to them.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: too many ...
I dont have any direct experience with any coilover kits, but my guess is yes they would work together. I'm using the Belltech 2 inch drop spindles in conjunction with Weight Jacks and a stock style spring/strut setup and its working out great. If you plan to do aftermarket/custom brakes with the drop spindles then you need to have the spindle modified. I will be sending my spindles to a machine shop to be modified for C5 front brakes pretty soon here ...
Old 06-10-2005, 11:46 PM

ya i was considering the weight jacks but now that Belltech seems to be going back into production, hopefully, ill just get a set of drop spindles and run it with the current Spohn front coil over kit so i can get my desired ride height and save a little weight. although this is not definate yet as i wanna see what i can do to brace my strut towers (cant use a STB with my custom intake box) to be sure they wont flex and over time fail on me. i know the Spohn kit comes with reinforcements but im still thinking about some roll cage bars welded along the strut towers and down to my radiator support like on circle track tube frames but im still retaining my inner fender walls.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:13 AM

dropped spindles and coilovers will work just fine. This is exactly what I am planning to do to my car along with Spohn tubular a-arms.

As you already said, because of the strut travel issues, the spindles are the best way to go because then you still get full travel. Also I think if you get the billet upper strut mounts, you get another inch out of strut.

And like the others said, if you are planning to go with Baer brakes, call them first before buying anything. Been a while since I last looked, but they had full conversion brake kits with spindles already included in them and everything for you was bolt-on. Except they wouldn't tell the guys in the spindle thread where they were getting those spindles.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Chevy Camaro
Engine: Built L98
Transmission: T-56 6 speed
If your intending on going for performance driving I don't suggest getting drop spindles. They screw up your steering angle which won't be to good for you. Though if you want it just for looks then their great to have since your suspension stays somewhat stock.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:43 PM

what do you mean they screw up my steering angle? isnt everything supposed to remain geometrically correct? is it correctable?? i do plan on autocrossing and the occasional strip and my car will also be driven on the street but i dont mind harsh rides as im used to it now...mainly i want a G Machine with the light weight and adjustability of coilovers but i need to get down real low which the Spohn kit doesnt allow. thats why im considering drop spindles.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Chevy Camaro
Engine: Built L98
Transmission: T-56 6 speed
Well I had drop spindles on my car before and after installing them. Making tight u turns became difficult to do. Camaros already have a problem with the steering system when close to full lock. But after putting the drop spindles it made it even worse. It might be okay possibly when doing normal turns but for tight turns (or drifting) where you have to turn a lot it causes problems.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:13 AM

revlimit, can you be more specific.

You have first-hand experience with these, so that definitely counts, but everything I've ever heard or read about dropped spindles said that all factory mounting points (i.e. lower ball joint, tie rod and strut) are the same as regular spindles. The only thing that is different is that the wheel sits 2" higher.

How can that cause tight corner problems? What size rims/tires did you have? Did you look under the car to see what the problem actually was?

As far as I knew dropped spindles was the prefered way because when using lowering springs, that's when geometry got screwed up and you got pretty bad bump steer.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:18 PM

i too would like some clearification maybe some suspension "pros" can chime in? i want to know exactly what drop spindles do to affect steering if they truly do. i do plan on autocrossing my car when my suspension is finished but i also drive the car on the street and at the strip. its an all around car. i do enjoy drifting from time to time. if there is a steering problem can it be corrected or is it a price i have to pay when using drop spindles? i also have 275's all around too and dont plan on getting anything smaller.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:36 AM
Banned

Car: Agood2.8,
Engine: V6rsr,
Transmission: Afrikingoodtime
There is no difference between drop spindles and a spring cut to drop thecar the same 2" in ride height when it comes to steering radius.
What happens when you lower the car is the tire of course is tucked up into the fenderwell higher and there is less clearance when turning the wheels to full lock sometimes based on application of swaybar thickness, rim width and offset, tire diameter and width, suspension travel, etc.

Revlimit was probably experiencing something as simple as using the drop spindle with stock coil rates and a thicker front swaybar. When the car is turned at full lock the tire may under travel compression be rubbing the inner fenderwell or even the swaybar and scrubbing off speed in his drifting and causing the nose of the car to slow and the *** end come around.

Its all how you marry the componants.