Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

LT1 Motor Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Auburn
LT1 Motor Swap

I was thinking about swaping in a LT1 with a 6 speed into my camaro. My car has the 305 TBI and 5speed trans. I was concerned with a few things. Headers, will regular small block headers work. Wiring, whats the deal, just use the engine harness from the LT1 or is the whole car harness necessary. Mounts, does it use the same mounts as in my car. Also will my gauges work, or do i have to get new ones.
Also if i want to use my T5 Tranny, do i use my clutch and flywheel or a clutch and flywheel from a LT1.

Last edited by 88 Z28 Guy; 10-11-2005 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.70 posi
The sticky above answers alot of the questions, as for the tranny....go with the 6-speed...all you will do is destroy the T5.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:59 PM

Car: 1989 IROC
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Auburn
I definately want to get the 6 speed, being that they are rare, im probably going to get an automatic version and just get a 6 speed later.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:01 PM

Just my .02 but I would just wait and get the 6 speed tranny. I did almost the same thing and ended up spending a lot more than if I had just got what I wanted in the first place. Why not just wait untill you locate a 6 speed and do your swap when you have the tranny too?
Just trying to help others not make the same mistakes I made.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '92 RS
T-5 will work if you use the T-5 flywheel and clutch. I ran one for 4 years with a Centerforce Dual Friction and it lasted pretty well.

The wiring can be tricky, but no matter what you go with, you're going to have to do some splicing. Most people use the stock LT1 harness and the stock 3rd gen harness and splice together the few wires that you need (power, gauges, etc.).

use both parts of the 3rd gen mount. you'll have to modify the passenger side one if you want A/C with an F-body LT1.

factory gauges will work as long as you have an electronic speedo.

check the link in my sig for some basic information. I'll be finishing up the wiring and a/c sections within the next month, so look for those.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:00 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try to pick up a 95 LT1 F-body donor car. 95 seems to have the best wiring, pcm, and vented optispark. You can get 96-97 and change out the wiring too, a lot of 4th gen owners do.

For headers, use thirdgen 305/350 headers, 1 5/8 inch minimal. If you get non-egr, non-smog headers then you'll have to get EGR blockoff plates. Best source for blockoff plates is ebay for approx $30.

Try to get the underdash wiring also if you can.

For the wiring i took out the entire wiring harness of the donor car except the wires to like the taillights. It is recommended you cut out spare wires after you do the swap but i felt there were too many and i had a lot of spare time. Check out www.shbox.com for LT1 wiring schematics. Some of the schematics are incorrect though. I think they are for a different year. I figured out what every single wire was for and elimated the ones i didn't need - like headlights, cruise control, radio. The LT1 bulkhead connector will split into 3 parts on the interior side, you only need the center one for the engine. I ran all my underdash wires through the precut factory hole on the drivers side. This hole has a plastic cap over it, around 1.5" wide and its next to the steering wheel.

Look into Tunercat.com and akmcables.com if you want to disable vats, egr. Akmcables makes a cable to go from your pc serial port to the LT1 ALDL port. Tunercat is the software. For 94-95 LT1 only.

Also read this thread: LT1 Wiring for Dummies
https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...wiring+dummies
I used it when splicing into the Thirdgen bulkhead connector.

My A/C alternative: www.bowersrodshop.com
Didn't want to notch the frame. Don't think i'd buy this again though. This guy raised his prices on his products, used to cost less. Also, found out from Klortho that you can just take a big hammer to the frame, no need to grind anything out. If you go with bower's relocation braket you have to get 92 V6 A/C lines.

For powersteering i'm going to try lines from an LT1 Caprice SS. Find out tomorrow morning if they will work.

Oh and everyone does their LT1 swap slightly different it seems...

Search the LTX and LSX board...

Last edited by Firebat; 10-13-2005 at 02:05 AM.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FYI -

'94 Caprice Power steering pressure hose works with slight bending. Bent the last 90 degree bend back to being straight on the end that connects to the pump mounted on the engine. Also, may have done some minor bending just get it in. Cost for '94 caprice power steering pressure sender hose from OReilys: $33

I've heard other people have gotten away with bending the original f-body lines but mine were damaged so i couldn't use them.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 84 Trans AM (sold), 87 IROC, 09 C6
Engine: Lt1 in IROC
Transmission: 5 speeds
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 bolt tru tracker 3.42
I just finished installing an LT-1 in an 87 IROC. I bought a corvette engine which had all the accessories on it. I have never done an LT1 swap with an f-body engine, but from reading forums here, I think the vette engine made it allot easier. There was no monkeying around with accessories..........I even used the vette power steering hose- it was the same fitting as the IROC...I also used the IROC flywheel and a new center force clutch.........along with the original worldclass 5 speed........I haven't taken the car to a drag strip, but I have road raced it and the 5 speed shifts great and seems to be holding up fine.........for headers i used the SLP 1 3/4 primaires with a y-pipe..........LT1wiring.com grafted my wire harness for me and the car started on the first turn......and all the guages worked..........The car goes like H*** and gets me 25 highway MPG..........it was a great swap!