Convertibles Discussed here are problems and solutions to convertible specific questions, including difficult to find part numbers and other convertible tech help.

Tonneau help needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Camero RS Convertible
Engine: 305
Transmission: Manual
Axle/Gears: Stock
Tonneau help needed

89 Camero RS - Tonneau is not popping open. I started with the trunk lid switch. Does this switch need to be repleced? Was there a clip to keep the plug in place. As you can see the plug can be plugged into the switch either way. (red and black wire). Is there a wasy to test this switch when the lid is closed. I know that the trunk lid is closing and this switch is being pushed down.
Attached Thumbnails Tonneau help needed-trunk-sw.jpg  
Old 04-24-2013, 07:49 PM

Car: 1990 Iroc Z Red Vert
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto
Re: Tonneau help needed

I have worked on a couple trunk latches before. I think the red and black wire button has to be pushed down for the tonneau to release. You can hold that botton down and see if the tonneau releases. Just make sure someone helps you so that the tonneu does not hit the trunk. When the truck sucks down, the slide goes down and pushes the button down so that the tonneau releases. You have to make sure the button is clipped on the side of the trunk latch to push button when you close the trunk. You can take a screwdriver and push down in the center of the latch on top and the latch should suck down to see if it pushes the button down. This is so that you dont pop the tonneau when the trunk it open. You can buy pass it also. I has my Iroc Z in storage yet so i can look at my car. Goodluck
Old 04-29-2013, 10:19 AM

Car: 89 Camero RS Convertible
Engine: 305
Transmission: Manual

Originally Posted by botch1
I have worked on a couple trunk latches before. I think the red and black wire button has to be pushed down for the tonneau to release. You can hold that botton down and see if the tonneau releases. Just make sure someone helps you so that the tonneu does not hit the trunk. When the truck sucks down, the slide goes down and pushes the button down so that the tonneau releases. You have to make sure the button is clipped on the side of the trunk latch to push button when you close the trunk. You can take a screwdriver and push down in the center of the latch on top and the latch should suck down to see if it pushes the button down. This is so that you dont pop the tonneau when the trunk it open. You can buy pass it also. I has my Iroc Z in storage yet so i can look at my car. Goodluck
Thanks for your suggestions. I was able to get it working. I used your screwdriver idea first in order to determine which way the plug goes. I disconnected one of selenoids and hook a test light to it. After operating the switch a few times it started working. I found that pressing down on the tonneau switch as pulled back seemed to help. I think the tonneau switch had a bad connection. I also founf that I could make an adjustment so the top dropped deeper into the trunk... now tonneau closes without any effort.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:20 PM

My tonneau release does not work ever since I left the top down in the rain. Doh! The switch is good, checked with meter. I only have 0.88 volts to the switch. How many volts should I have? Any suggestions? This is a '91.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:08 AM

Car: 91 Camaro Rs Convertible
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4 Auto

Make sure your battery is working, my cover didn't open when my battery was disconnected.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 GTA/90 Iroc Vert
Engine: 5.7/5.0L
Transmission: 700R4 x 2
Axle/Gears: 3.27/2.73

Somb-icth .... I was recently messing with the white trunk lid switch, wondering what it was for.... then my tonneau stopped popping,(long time in between) have 12v at the switch, but coming out its somehow getting blocked. I can hear the relays clicking in the console. Matter fact took it all apart to get to the relays.

Now that I read all the above that switch in trunk has to be compressed I guess for the tonneau to pop ... I get it. Back to the truck !
Old 09-24-2015, 08:04 AM

Car: 87 camaro Z28 convertible
Engine: 350 carb
Transmission: th-700r4
Axle/Gears: Posi traction 3.42 gears

Do you have a picture of the fuse/relay or part number. I looked in the center console and mine is missing the fuse/relay that goes right before the switch

Originally Posted by Jersey89GTA
Somb-icth .... I was recently messing with the white trunk lid switch, wondering what it was for.... then my tonneau stopped popping,(long time in between) have 12v at the switch, but coming out its somehow getting blocked. I can hear the relays clicking in the console. Matter fact took it all apart to get to the relays.

Now that I read all the above that switch in trunk has to be compressed I guess for the tonneau to pop ... I get it. Back to the truck !
Old 10-02-2015, 06:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 239 Likes on 185 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn

Originally Posted by Ozone
89 Camero RS - Tonneau is not popping open. I started with the trunk lid switch. Does this switch need to be repleced? Was there a clip to keep the plug in place. As you can see the plug can be plugged into the switch either way. (red and black wire). Is there a wasy to test this switch when the lid is closed. I know that the trunk lid is closing and this switch is being pushed down.
Can you tell me where this trunk lid switch is located?
Old 10-05-2015, 01:58 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27

It is the white plastic plunger switch that is mounted in the black L-shape bracket as seen in the picture that Ozone posted.

I have several available if you find that your pull-down unit is missing it.

http://www.top-downsolutions.com/hat...product_id=216

Lon
Old 10-05-2015, 02:32 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by lonsal
It is the white plastic plunger switch that is mounted in the black L-shape bracket as seen in the picture that Ozone posted.

I have several available if you find that your pull-down unit is missing it.

http://www.top-downsolutions.com/hat...product_id=216

Lon

Is it part of the latch that holds the trunk closed or is it attached to one of the arms that operated the trunk?
Old 10-05-2015, 05:02 PM

It is part of the pull-down unit. Specifically the bracket that the switch mounts into is held in place by the screws that attach the motor of the pull-down unit to the metal frame that is bolted to the car body. The switch plunger makes contact with the guides in the track to sense when the latch portion is fully down. It will not allow the tonneau solenoids to be energized unless the latch portion is fully down. It is a safety feature. The tonneau and the trunk use the same real estate when they are open.

Lon
Old 10-10-2015, 07:36 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by lonsal
It is part of the pull-down unit. Specifically the bracket that the switch mounts into is held in place by the screws that attach the motor of the pull-down unit to the metal frame that is bolted to the car body. The switch plunger makes contact with the guides in the track to sense when the latch portion is fully down. It will not allow the tonneau solenoids to be energized unless the latch portion is fully down. It is a safety feature. The tonneau and the trunk use the same real estate when they are open.

Lon
lon, these are pics of my latch, I dont have a motor or that switch as in the pic shown, I have a plastic lever that is depressed when trunk is closed, It shuts the light off in the trunk and is working for that, Does this act as the safety switch also? You can see the lever in the lower center of the 1st pic. I found that plug that is not attached to anything, there is nothing to connect it to. Is this the power for the motor option? I also put a pic of the relay(i Think)this is where the wires all go into. Can you tell if I am missing something?
Attached Thumbnails Tonneau help needed-cam00899.jpg   Tonneau help needed-cam00901.jpg   Tonneau help needed-cam00904.jpg   Tonneau help needed-cam00907.jpg  
Old 10-10-2015, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by vinny R
lon, these are pics of my latch, I dont have a motor or that switch as in the pic shown, I have a plastic lever that is depressed when trunk is closed, It shuts the light off in the trunk and is working for that, Does this act as the safety switch also? You can see the lever in the lower center of the 1st pic. I found that plug that is not attached to anything, there is nothing to connect it to. Is this the power for the motor option? I also put a pic of the relay(i Think)this is where the wires all go into. Can you tell if I am missing something?
In your case you have a 91.5 to 92 convertible. You have a slam latch rather than the 91.5 to 92 pull-down unit that was used in the coupes.

The wiring that is not plugged into anything was used for the power pull-down unit in the coupes. I'm surprised that they didn't cut off that wiring and plug or tuck it in someplace out of sight. In your case it plugs in to nothing. However IF you wanted to swap in a powered pull-down unit from a coupes you could by simply bolting it in and plugging in the plug.

Lon Salgren
Old 11-17-2015, 09:13 PM

Car: 87 camaro Z28 convertible
Engine: 350 carb
Transmission: th-700r4
Axle/Gears: Posi traction 3.42 gears

Hi so I have an 87 Camaro and the tonneau release Doesn't work. When I use the tonneau switch it releases the truck and not the tonneau. Don't know what to do need help

QUOTE=lonsal;5969915]In your case you have a 91.5 to 92 convertible. You have a slam latch rather than the 91.5 to 92 pull-down unit that was used in the coupes.

The wiring that is not plugged into anything was used for the power pull-down unit in the coupes. I'm surprised that they didn't cut off that wiring and plug or tuck it in someplace out of sight. In your case it plugs in to nothing. However IF you wanted to swap in a powered pull-down unit from a coupes you could by simply bolting it in and plugging in the plug.

Lon Salgren[/QUOTE]